• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Does DC do non resident? I'd jump through the hoops if it becomes shall issue. IL, now potentially DC shall issue, damn.. Maryland really would be a$$hole Island if DC goes shall issue.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I had nothing to do with this, other being the first to post the news as I read it. MSI deserves a lot of thanks for a lot of reasons, but this case is one where I think everyone this side of the line basically rooted for the win, like everyone else.

As for the effect, as of now DC is shall-issue. I think we know how this plays out, and that nothing is etched in stone. Yet.

However, a Preliminary Injunction is a pretty interesting twist. It would not have happened without the prior ruling (Palmer, et al) and DC's rather intransigent actions post-decision.

DC kinda screwed themselves up a little here. They never asked for a stay on Palmer, and a lot of watchers suspect they avoided that fight because a complete ban was something I think they knew they could not defend. They were being set up for another Heller take-down. Good and substantial has a better chance of surviving in the DC Circuit.

It's pretty obvious that people outside DC city office had significant influence on DC's moves. The council was following orders. I say politics has a potential to intersect on this one, again. DC's natural inclination would be to ask for a stay from the Circuit (which they would receive, no doubt). However...this will poke a serious stick in the face of a Congress already making noise about gun laws in DC. I don't think the GOP leadership wants to play this one too hard, but given the environment in their caucus - a willingness to buck leadership - DC is possibly going to face some challenges.

That said, I think the money is on the Congress waiting this one out. I think too many people want this one pushed to SCOTUS. Mooting the legal case with law would effectively strip one of the last real chances we have to get this into the court.

I say: Two Years.

I will take a win anyway I can get one, through Congress or otherwise. Waiting for the SCT may be a fool's errand.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    So, a few points...

Per Patrick and others posts, I would not be surprised to see a Appeals Court stay to prevent "blood in the streets", despite the fact than almost every other jurisdiction is shall issue with Police committing a higher rate of crimes.

Second, the fee to become a DC CCL instructor is a ridiculous $435, in two money orders (because they can't be trusted with cash).

Third, the mental toll dealing with the DC bureaucracy is daunting. I had to make over 8 visits due to printer failure, computer failure, camera failure, etc.

Finally, we may or may not have crossed the chicken or egg threshold regarding the requirement to take the class to teach the class. In the beginning, there weren't any instructors to require instructors to go to to learn to instruct. So, DC may be so disorganized they will still approve instructors as long as they meet the rest of the criteria.

I personally have three goals, in order;
    1. Help the cause.
    2. Continue to practice and grow professionally.
    3. Recover my costs.

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Naa, I know the instructor, I'll be good.

Something tells me that if you show up at a law section in somebody's classes, they are not going to complain. Well unless they are in the statehouse, lol, I have watched what you did to them.... meanie.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Something tells me that if you show up at a law section in somebody's classes, they are not going to complain. Well unless they are in the statehouse, lol, I have watched what you did to them.... meanie.

Love my co-instructors.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Does DC do non resident? I'd jump through the hoops if it becomes shall issue. IL, now potentially DC shall issue, damn.. Maryland really would be a$$hole Island if DC goes shall issue.

One of the Plaintiffs (Tyler Whidbey) is a FL resident, residing part time in VA. The Palmer ruling (now defunct) specifically mentioned non-resident rights under the ruling as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom