• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Here's the deal. I mentioned in another thread, a few days back, that I'd bought a Remington 1903A3 on a whim, and that it appeared to have been a Frankengun put together by someone using surplus parts. I violated one of my own fundamental rules by buying a rifle that I don't know squat about (learning fast), but I soothed my conscience and wallet by saying it should be a nice shooter.

Then I started sorting things out, doing more research, and my fundamental neurosis about guns that could be made better started to kick in.

It turns out that the source I'd used for dating the serial number on the receiver was faulty, and I checked it against a more reliable source. The receiver was one of the last ones turned out by Remington in December of 1943. O.K. It looks almost new.

The barrel, which also looks almost new, was made by Remington in February of 1944, so that's not an unrealistic match. The possibility of a receiver being paired to a barrel that could have been made as little as 4-5 weeks later isn't far fetched in wartime production.

So I started looking at the little parts--and learning as I go. The sling hardware and stacking swivel appear to be NOS Remington, as does the front sight. So the mouse started wanting more to go with the cookie. It now has an NOS Remington front sight cover to go with it--perfect match.

The very worn buttplate just looked out of place with all that NOS stuff on it, so it now has an NOS Remington buttplate waiting to be installed--fresh out of the WWII cosmoline soaked paper wrapper.

Magazine, trigger guard, etc., appear to be NOS Remington WWII surplus.

The rear sight looks excellent, but not quite right. I think it may be a reproduction, so the mouse needed something else to go with the cookie, and now I've got an NOS WWII Remington rear sight on its way to me from a guy in the Netherlands who has a cache of parts that we left there.

The bolt ... hmmm ... not sure about that, but I think it's a mix of parts. The handle looks new, but it's a Smith-Corona. I've got to school myself a bit more on identifying the other parts of the bolt, but at least some appear to be Remington. I'll have to do some scrounging, but the parts seem to be out there, and I'm sure that someone with a S-C would love to have this bolt handle that appears to be NOS.

But the mouse still wanted more. There was no sling. I saw some original slings around, but most of them looked like crap. When you get right down to it, there's no reason why a piece of leather that's 70 years old shouldn't look pretty rough. I want something that I can use, so I compromised and got a leather repro sling that looks rather good. I can live with that.

But the mouse had one more HUGE hunger. The stock that's on it looks OK for a shooter. It appears to be an original Springfield stock, but someone "restored" it by sanding out all the nicks and dings ... and most of the stamps ... then stained it. Again, not bad for a range gun, but that mouse wouldn't be satisfied. So ... I have an original WWII Remington stock on the way. It doesn't appear to have been refinished, still has clear markings, and isn't all that badly dinged up.

The handguard didn't come with it, and the one currently on the rifle may be a reproduction, so I've also got an NOS WWII walnut replacement handguard on the way. That mouse has a huge appetite.

When I get finished, I'll probably only have about double what the rifle is worth invested in it, but it should be a reasonably-matched, almost-new, WWII 1903A3. Both of my sons already want it, so I'm not going to worry about issues that might come up if I tried to sell it. I just won't sell it. Solved!

The C&R mouse can be a pest, you know?

Jul 1, 2012
    Sometimes once the mouse eats the first cookie, he keeps going til his belly explodes.
    I have been that mouse.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I love the mouse and cookie reference. My mouse's first cookie was a 1930's Mosin Nagant 91/30. 6 years and dozens of purchases later, I'm still looking for the next bite. :)

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    No pics yet because I've been sidetracked by my son's upcoming graduation and the house cleaning, etc., that goes with getting ready to have a lot of family over.

But here's an update:

First of all, the receiver and barrel combination are a reasonable match for having come out of Remington paired up. The receiver is late Dec. '43, and the barrel is February '44 -- making it among the last barrels made for a 1903A3. Both the barrel and receiver appear to be like new, with some relatively small handling marks, so I decided to make an essentially "new" last-production rifle.

My "new" stock came in, and it looks pretty good. It's correct for a Remington of the time period and has all the right markings. It doesn't look like it was ever sanded, but it has either been waxed or perhaps had a thin coat of varnish put onto it. I'm still weighing the best approach to use on this one.

The Remington NOS bolt is in and installed. The NOS buttplate is here, but not installed. My NOS walnut handguard hasn't arrived yet--an error with the order--but I expect to see that soon. I believe the vendor was away for the long weekend.

I have an NOS Remington trigger guard assembly to install when I get to that point. All of the other hardware is NOS or like-new Remington. The one exception is the re-pop sling, but it's a pretty decent looking reproduction, so I'm happy with that. If a nice original comes along, I may go for that.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Yeah, but it's going to have to stay in the family for awhile before it's worth what I'll have into it. That's OK. One of my boys will be getting that one, and it's not likely to be part of The Great Widow's Gun Sale.

Stevearado

Oct 12, 2009
    St Mary's County
    I've had my share of that mouse with a Gew 88 I rebuilt a few years ago. He was just not happy with a reproduction cleaning rod and wanted an original. Now, I'm dealing with his brother, the Retro Black Rifle Mouse.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    I'm usually very conservative about not paying more (and hopefully much less) for a firearm than the market value ... with few exceptions. But now and then I just decide that I want to do what I want, even if I know that it's not economical to do so. This rifle has really moved into that category.

BTW - I'm the one who paid the stupid money for the stock that Todbiker was watching. I'd already had it on my watch list before it was mentioned here, but I was going to stay away from it if he was planning to chase it hard. Yep. I paid a good bit too much, but it's the stock that I wanted for this project.

One of my sons will end up with a really nice 1903A3.

P.S. - I've offered to work with Todbiker on getting some of my surplus parts to him for a reasonable price. That will help him get his project done economically, and it will offset my crazy spending down to simply stupid spending.

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    I just put that together from the other thread. Congrats on the stock, it is nice looking. If it is what you are looking for then the price is right.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    When that stock comes in, I'll have (I think) all of the parts that I need to set the rifle up correctly. The NOS Remington rear sight came in from the Netherlands yesterday. It was very cool opening a package that was sealed up in about 1944 and seeing a brand new sight that's over 70 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom