• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Aimsurplus has for sale again, anyone have thoughts on them?
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3FNHPCR

I paid $540 for one the last go around, back in April.

It's a nice gun, but in hindsight, for the money, I'd probably go for a newer model HiPower with modern sights. 2a had a used one for around $629 recently, might still be in stock?

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=34136&page=40

If you want one for you C&R collection, more power to you.

OldCarJunkie picked up a clone around the same time and it was much more user friendly with regards to sights at about 2/3's the price

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The extractor is probably the biggest wear part on Hi Powers ... I don't think there is a current source for the pre'64 internal type extractor.

Internal extractor Hi Powers are beautiful collector's pieces, but until someone regularly stocks replacement internal extractors, they are basically safe queens.

You can often get a Hungarian made FEG Mauser or Luger branded Hi Power clone for closer to $300. Be careful with the FEG branded "Hi Powers" some are hybrid S&W action and not really Hi Power clones at all ... even though sellers often describe them as such. Visual clues for the real HP type clone are the cross bar in the frame behind & above the trigger; for the S&W action: firing pin type safety ON THE SLIDE (real HP safety is on the frame, like a 1911).

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    The extractor is probably the biggest wear part on Hi Powers ... I don't think there is a current source for the pre'64 internal type extractor.

Internal extractor Hi Powers are beautiful collector's pieces, but until someone regularly stocks replacement internal extractors, they are basically safe queens.

You can often get a Hungarian made FEG Mauser or Luger branded Hi Power clone for closer to $300. Be careful with the FEG branded "Hi Powers" some are hybrid S&W action and not really Hi Power clones at all ... even though sellers often describe them as such. Visual clues for the real HP type clone are the cross bar in the frame behind & above the trigger; for the S&W action: firing pin type safety ON THE SLIDE (real HP safety is on the frame, like a 1911).

The one OldCarJunkie bought was an Argus?... if I remember correctly

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IMO, only worthwhile for collectible.

If you are shooting it, a later one would be better.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    IMO, only worthwhile for collectible.

If you are shooting it, a later one would be better.

The C&R guns sold out, they didn't have many.

The newer T series guns are better as shooters, I bet they have plenty.

$499 is a decent price on these in this condition. May need a new extractor or just a spring (you can get them cheap directly from Browning); mags aren't too bad for MD legal 10's ... outside of MD you can get original 13's or 15's made by MecGar at reasonable prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom