• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Can anyone recommend a decent Night Vision scope under $1K and geared towards the M16?

Thanks,

Dave

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Can anyone recommend a decent Night Vision scope under $1K and geared towards the M16?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I am in the mind to go cheap or go all out. So I went cheap. I got a Z51 German Surplus. That is top end Gen I. Its pretty nice. I put it on my AR15. It works pretty well for 100 yard shooting. It cost me a bit more than $550 plus a $50-75 mount.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=136591&page=5

Now at $1K you are touching used Gen II but not much more. If you want to spend a bit more and take more of a chance, check out Apex has some PS14s at $800. They were well used but look ok. Figure extra money for a mount, maybe as high as $200. There is a good thread on AR15.com about them. Lots of reading.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Sound advice. The only thing I would add is that you should stick with military units. For as much as we are likely use them, surplus will have plenty of life left in the tube.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Sound advice. The only thing I would add is that you should stick with military units. For as much as we are likely use them, surplus will have plenty of life left in the tube.

It looks like we will be holding AGC NV shoots after daylight savings ends last year. So we hope to give people a place to put good wear on their units soon! We have already started down this road.

I have nothing to do with Apex. I also decided against taking the chance on one of their units. However its a very real option I would want to know about if I was you.

Gen II for $800:
    https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/4507

Gen II for $730:
    https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/4504

Gen II For $450
    https://apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/4503

Thread on AR15.com. Like most threads there, its gets to be a lot of fighting in the middle. However then end has a lot of info.
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/427794_Bringback_ATN_Gen_2__scopes_and_goggles.html

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I just paid over 2K for a Gen 2 1PN51 so these are a steal! I recommend Apex to any and everyone. I've always had good dealings with them.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    If you're paying 2k for NVG's you should atleast get Gen3. I know full PVS14 setups (minus helmet) going for that much.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    This is old collectible Soviet equipment. The value is in the relative rarity in this country, not the usefulness of it.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Thanks for the links and info. Will look into the APEX. Looks about right. I am assuming I can use these during daylight as well?

Dave

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    With night vision you get what you pay for. Cheaper is bigger and not as clear at a distance but how much night shooting are you going to do to justify spending thousands of dollars?
    Hog hunts at night can yield a lot of meat to feed the family and others. There 'might' be a justification (if I can keep a straight face while saying this to the spousal unit).

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks for the links and info. Will look into the APEX. Looks about right. I am assuming I can use these during daylight as well?

Dave

Daylight as well? I would think that would be like looking into the sun! My NV has three very small holes in the lens cover that let you see out during daylight with the lens cover on. Its not ideal but about good enough to sight in. Thats about it. I have no idea if the Apex ones are the same or not. However since they are not rifle sights (No reticle), why would you need to use during the day?

I suggest reading that whole thread on ar15.com about the apex ones. Also figure out your mounting solution before ordering! If you are going with a rifle mount, I did not see an easy mounting solution yet with a preliminary look. I would guess you are looking at $300 more for a helmet mount and probably $200 more for a rifle mount if you can find one.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    With night vision you get what you pay for. Cheaper is bigger and not as clear at a distance but how much night shooting are you going to do to justify spending thousands of dollars?

I agree for the most part. However its not clear to me that is the case with distance. After reading some of what was posted on the AR15 threads... some people were having issues seeing out to 100 yards with their Gen II. I can see pretty well with my Gen I at 100 yards. However I can't see crap under 20 yards. So I think some of has to do with the exact optic.

As I have stated, I hope to be able to provide a place at the AGC to do some night shooting. So one might very well be able to justify it.

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I agree for the most part. However its not clear to me that is the case with distance. After reading some of what was posted on the AR15 threads... some people were having issues seeing out to 100 yards with their Gen II. I can see pretty well with my Gen I at 100 yards. However I can't see crap under 20 yards. So I think some of has to do with the exact optic.

As I have stated, I hope to be able to provide a place at the AGC to do some night shooting. So one might very well be able to justify it.

Has a lot to do with the optic and ambient light.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I will look into the APEX. I have seen some of the night scopes listed as Night/Day scopes. That is why I asked.

Not looking for anything fancy just something to plink with at night and possibly do a night shoot sometime. What the spousal unit does not know wont hurt me.

Dave

LAW683

Nov 1, 2011
    i have the Sightmark Photon fixed 3.5 NV glass with the doubler kit and the 20IR on my 300 blk gun for hogs and coyots and for under $800 i cant be happier. i have used much more $$$ and wasnt impressed nor would i change my setup

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    i have the Sightmark Photon fixed 3.5 NV glass with the doubler kit and the 20IR on my 300 blk gun for hogs and coyots and for under $800 i cant be happier. i have used much more $$$ and wasnt impressed nor would i change my setup

Thanks I will take a look at this one as well. Appreciate the insight.

Dave

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    scopes are scopes. you can see what your gun is pointed at.

monos and head mounted devices are the ability to shoot, walk, drive ect in the dark. you get a lot more use for your money.

hunt the ar15.com classifieds for a good deal. you're nearly at the going rate for a used pvs-7 gen 3 with a $1000 budget.

Last edited:

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member

I use a gen 3 and its a whole different world over older equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom