• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    In 4 weeks I am going to order a Mini 14 model 5819 and 10/22 takedown model 11100. All the homework I have done on these guns seems to fit my likes. I was supposed to get the mini for Christmas but every time my wife tried to buy one for me she felt over whelmed, so now it is my Birthday present. I do not like the look of the ar15 though I fully respect it.

Can anyone here try to talk me out of either one of these rifles? Give me your input on these ya or nah! Keep in mind you are not going to hurt my feeling with your opinion. I am not a sharp shooter just want to have fun with them with my wife and a back up if the SHTF!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Get the takedown with the threaded barrel, it worth the extra cost. Personally I'd rather have an AR than a mini, but if you're not feeling the AR, get the mini

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 500

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    10/22 is a no brainer. Get whichever you like. Tons of aftermarket support.

Mini-14 is a bit tougher. Aftermarket support and customization options are very limited. No problem if you intend to keep it stock. Upsides to the AR are modularity and massive aftermarket support.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Not much to add here.

I have the 5819, a few AR's, a few 10/22's, etc.

I like Mini's better tha AR's (even considering aftermarket toys and accuracy).
    The tactical shorty Mini is more accurate than older ranch rifles. I haven't looked into better after market sights, but I should. The rifle is better than it's factory sights. Stick to factory and John Masen mags...and maybe newer Tapco.

I like shooting Marlin 795 and Ruger American Rimfire more than 10/22's. 10/22's can be fun to pimp.

You'll enjoy both.

Last edited:

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming. The Mini is going to be for me and the 10/22 for my wife. She enjoys going to the range with me and plinking in our back yard too. I am going to take a look at the 10/22 with the treaded barrel with flash hider, but I'm not sure she will go for it since it is in camo

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Attachments

• 43209-DEFAULT-S.jpg
      43209-DEFAULT-S.jpg
      1.1 KB · Views: 465

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Personally prefer the AR more but the mini is an excellent choise. Either way you will be happy. The 10/22 is a must for any shooter. Defently get one of those no matter which model you get.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Talk you out of either of those classic guns, that's a tough request, but I'll try.

A buddy of mine also prefers the mini over an AR, he likes the feel, function and look better. I don't like that it doesn't use standard AR mags, and although very popular, just not as ubiquitous as the AR. The planet will be dead someday, and there will still be cockroaches and AR parts. Write Ruger a letter and ask for the to make a version that will take AR mags, they will sell a million of them; until then I'll pass and you should too.

The 10/22 that's even tougher. That's the #1 .22LR ever, and now with the BX25 mags that really work well, I have no good argument against it. But do consider the Marlin 795 (bolt lock open), and 10/22 charger. Do get threaded barrel, and takedown.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Only real problem with the mini is the magazines. You need to buy Ruger mags only. They are about $40 each, AR mags are $10 each. Only the factory mags work out of the box. I own every flavor of aftermarket Mini 14 mag known to man. I was able to make most reliable by adjusting or grinding the feed lips.

BTW, I love the look and feel of Minis.

If you are only going to have one .22 rifle. It should probably be the 10/22. Not my favorite but I do like my Takedown. I have sold all my other 10/22s.

The most popular .22 rifle in the world is a Marlin md60. I have shot 40-50,000 rounds through these rifles. My first one I cleaned after 3yrs and about 12,000 rds. They have horrible sights but really feel perfect to me.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Minuteman's and dontpanic's related point about the Mini-14 mag issue is essential. I have a Mini-14 that's a lot of fun too shoot, however the magwell can often suck and is less quick to operate than an AR-15 magwell (or a 10/22 magwell for that matter). It is an inherent flaw that can be annoying (I must have close to 15 Mini-14 mags and have marked 3-4 of them that take a bit more rocking to seat properly). As Minuteman mentioned, Ruger would mint money if they made the Mini-14 run reliably on AR mags.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I have heard that many times even before I ask my question here. That IF Ruger made the MINI accept AR clips everyone would want one then and Ruger would not be able to keep up with production! I wonder if they (Ruger) have thought of this themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom