• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Greetings fellow Patriots!

The other day I decided I needed a new shot timer and did a quick survey for the latest/greatest technology. To wit - I found numerous reviews, ratings and ultimately the SHOTMAXX wristwatch timer.

After email exchanges with the Alpha Academy I just this afternoon received my very own SHOTMAXX wristwatch timer.

I will update this thread later with my full review, but will give you now some links and my initial impressions:

- dealing with the company, was quick and simple. I found only three websites where this shot-timer could be purchased; all had the same price, so I decided to go with the website that had the most information and appeared most official.

- shipping was simple, even from europe, and the packaging was perfect.

- the timer-watch itself was loaded with the latest firm-ware (3085 for me) and was properly set to lock mode. To unlock hold the MODE and START buttons simultaneously for three seconds (before plugging in to charge).

- display will show amount of charge needed to fully recharge the internal lithium battery. Should take about 3 hours; do that first. Mine came with 40% charge, it's been over an hour on the USB charger and it's already nearly 60%, so 3-4 hours sounds about right.

- my timer did not come with a manuel, but that can be found here: http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/shotmaxx/SM_user_manual_ENG_V1_2.pdf

- until I come back and post my MMReview, you can check out these helpful videos:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    UPDATE - 19 December 2014:

I may update this later as I get even more experience with this timer, but this is my complete review for now:

Bottom line, if you are a competitive shooter or want to do some drills with a timer, or some friendly competition with your buddies on a range - BUY IT!

As of Dec 19, 2014, this timer costs $150; and I see that now MidwayUSA is offering it (currently sold out): http://ads.midwayusa.com/find?userS...G-_-shotmaxx&gclid=CO6YmtDy0sICFdNj7AodpzcAYw

It's not yet sold on Amazon, but you can get it from here now: http://www.doublealpha.biz/shotmaxx/shotmaxx-shot-timer?gclid=CIaW4oX20sICFUpp7Aod5lEAug

With the additional accessories you are looking at another $40, you don't need any of the accessories, but nice to have. Accessories are case, silicone protective outer skin and power pack. I see doublealpha is offering the kit they sent me for $177. In full disclosure, ShotMaxx did give me all of these accessories for free in exchange for this review ($27 value). Many of you know me... this is an honest review. My interaction with the company was excellent, they already make the best shot timers in the world, and are currently the only company to do an accelerometer timer into a watch; very innovative, highly recommended.

I've had this timer over two months, I've taken it on every range trip (at least 6 range trips), played with it for hours at home and have worn it for days as a normal watch. As a watch, it displays the time on top (just hit the 'start' button to toggle between AM/PM and 24hour time), simply hit the REV button to toggle between seconds or Month/Date. Has a very simple to use 3 minute (or 5 minute) countdown timer. As a shot timer, my main complaint is that it is not intuitive; I ended up watching virtually every video ever made about this watch to use it. This video may not be the most informative, but it is by far my favorite of the ShotMaxx:

I'm still somewhat frustrated by some of its settings, but if you just want to get it started, most of the default settings are set up for the most common applications (IDPA, drills, etc) out of the box. Here's how I have it currently set up for the majority of shooting I do with it:

dELAY = Custom fixed to 5 seconds
    pAr = 000
    pULSE = on
    bEEP = tyPE 1
    sEnSr = AccEL
    sEnSi = 4
    FiLEr = 0.09
    bt = off
    sEnd = ALL
    SPY = oFF
    sPY d = 015

To use the actual timer:

It's in timer mode when you see 4 dashes (----) on the screen, like most timers. Then simply push start and it will count down 5 seconds (the way I have it configured now) then beep.
    - tyPE 1 beep is perfect, loud enough to hear with your headphones on, and good for most applications.
    - tyPE 2 beep is a screamingly loud 110db, would be useful in a very loud environment, especially if you have double hearing protection.
    - You can also turn off the beep all together.

When you hear the beep, start shooting. Let's say you are shooting the 'Bill Drill' (6 shots as fast as possible on a target 7 yards away); timer will display (for example) 7:01 on top - meaning you shot 6 rounds in just over 7 seconds. Then bottom display will flash between 06 shots, and 1:92 first shot - meaning it took almost 2 seconds to get the first shot off. Thats good enough for most applications, to time another round simply push the Start button again, and in 5 seconds it will beep again to time another string.
    After that string, if you push the REV button you will see (for example): top line 1:92, second line alternating 01 (first shot) and 1:92.
    Push REV again you will see top line 2:78 (total time to second shot) and 02 (second shot) alternating with 0:86 (split time of second shot).
    Push REV again you will see top line 3:82 (total time from buzzer to the third shot) and bottom line alternating between 03 (indicating third shot) and 1:04 (time between second shot and third shot (split time).
    Push REV again you will see top line 4:89 (total time from buzzer to the fourth shot) and bottom line alternating between 04 (fourth shot) and 1:07 (time between third and fourth shots (split time)).
    Push REV again you will see top line 6:38 and bottom line 05 and 1:49 (split time).
    Push REV again you will see top line 7:01 and bottom line 06 and 0:63 (split time).

From this data, you will now know that your fastest split time was between shots 5 and 6 (0:63) and it took you a total of just over 7 seconds to shoot 6 shots on the Bill Drill; which is a pretty good time. Very good shooters can shoot this in about 3 seconds. See the value of a timer?

--------

(5 being best, 1 being worst)

Form/function: 5, looks like any other digital watch, just has a microphone on front, which did give me the opportunity to talk about the watch/timer. Was confusing at first seeing it blink between shot number and split time, but got used to it. Also having to hit REV to go back can be a bummer, like that you can skip this feature, but if timer started, and you do not shoot, you still must hit REV to start over. The wrist band itself was a little small, guys with large wrists had difficulty. Maximum wrist size to wear was 8". If your wrists are larger than 8" you won't be able to wear it as intended on your wrist.
    Cost/value: 5, compared to other timers, you can get the excellent CED7000RF for about $135; but what makes the ShotMaxx unique is it's accelerometer, and the fact you can wear it on your wrist. Worth the extra $15.
    Ease of use: 3, Just ok. Still not simple enough to use without reading the instructions and watching a few videos. I've handed this timer to several folks and they can't work it with out help. One buddy suggested have the bluetooth work both ways, so you can set it on your device (i.e. smartphone) then send the program to the watch. So the user only sees option to see time/date or timer. Once you do figure it out, making adjustments on a range for things like echo or for other people shooting is a handy feature.
    Overall: 4.5. This is a great tool for the weekend warrior or regular competitor. If they had a version that was a little simpler to use and cost half as much, it would be a slam-dunk and everyone should have one in their range bag. If you don't own a shot timer, and decided you want one, this is definitely the one to get. It's a bit of a chore to have to switch the watch off between uses, the most accurate results are when worn, but with the right settings (again hard to do on the fly without a lot of practice) this can be done using the mic alone.

Being able to adjust the sensitivity is a great feature, with this one timer you can (when set up correctly) use it from anything from big-bore, to handguns, to pellet guns, to air-soft. Highly adaptable, and worth learning and working through the menus to make it work right.

------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Really looking forward to the review. I saw one at the range yesterday (worked fine indoors) and was intrigued.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Price actually seems rather reasonable. Bluetooth communication to phone app($4.99) which can keep track of sessions and multiple shooters.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Took it to the range yesterday, still testing & evaluating it.

At this point I would already recommend buy if you were in the market for a shot timer.

Pricey, but worth it.

Any additional thoughts on it, Minuteman? Thx.

Did you get the black or white display? The guy at the range who had one told me he wished he had gotten the white display.

By the way, we need to get this guy on the shotmaxx....

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I would like to take it out another time or two before writing it up. One think I'm not fond of is that you really must know what all the menu options are to adjust. But once set up for whatever you want to do, it's easy to use.

Let's not forget how it didn't record the 6th shoot of the string, unless it was on your wrist. It won't record some stuff if somebody else is holding/wearing the timer.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    True, but I wasn't familiar enough with it nor was it intuitive enough for me to adjust the sensitivity on the fly. Out of the box, you have to be wearing it for it to work every time. Resetting it back to start over required going through each shot time and return to the 000000 screen.

It has other basic watch features which is nice, but these complicate the use of simply using the timer.

I have the black face version, from photos I like it better. I do like the 'spy' mode, and ability to adjust beep volume or vibrate.

I haven't tried it with air soft yet. I read it excels at airsift if worn.

This won't replace a timer an SO might need to run a match, but for individual training or friendly competition it's great if you don't mind swapping it out between strings.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    True, but I wasn't familiar enough with it nor was it intuitive enough for me to adjust the sensitivity on the fly. Out of the box, you have to be wearing it for it to work every time. Resetting it back to start over required going through each shot time and return to the 000000 screen.

It has other basic watch features which is nice, but these complicate the use of simply using the timer.

I have the black face version, from photos I like it better. I do like the 'spy' mode, and ability to adjust beep volume or vibrate.

I haven't tried it with air soft yet. I read it excels at airsift if worn.

This won't replace a timer an SO might need to run a match, but for individual training or friendly competition it's great if you don't mind swapping it out between strings.

I do have to agree. It is quite fun to have for a friendly competition.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Update:

I'm still testing.

So far, still highly recommended, recharging as needed, and this timer is rated for air-soft training, which is another huge advantage over other timers.

Stay tuned, this is going to be one of my most thoroughly researched products ever. (buy one!)

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Finished. See my update of post #2 above for full review.

Bottom line - highly recommended!

Hit play on the video and listen to the music while you read my review. Trust me. :)

Is there a second video where you break out the glow sticks and lay down some club moves to that trance music? :fingerscrossed:

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Minuteman,

Thank you for the time spent & review.

I'm wondering if you have downloaded the app. Thoughts on it? I downloaded but am still getting accustomed to the watch and haven't even read app directions yet. I guess I thought I'd really enjoy recording sessions, so I just bought the app on a whim. It's cheap at $4.99.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Md123, thanks, I enjoy trying out new gadgets and telling folks about them. At my gun club meetings there's almost always a show & tell from someone (usually me).

I haven't tried the app. I probably won't as I'm not a serious competitor. Besides, for IDPA we use a different app that you can program the course of fire and keep times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom