• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I stopped using Tetra products for the same reason as the OP.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    ***I'm pretty fastidious with my firearms and have only had good experiences with both the lube and grease. I've used other products before and not been as pleased, but I only own more modern firearms so perhaps that is why I haven't had the issues with rust, etc... Dunno if other types of steels or coatings on older firearms are more susceptible to rust...

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I have extensive experience with the product and have seen similar results as the O.P.

I dont use it.

Looking over these threads about gun lube. Do you still recommend simple motor oil, I believe Mobile One was your preference?

Can motor oil outright replace CLP, Breakfree, and FIREClean for all purposes?

If so, then other than a solvent to clean out a barrel, any other liquids needed? Maybe some WD40, to loosen old rusty screws?

Any preferences on barrel cleaners? I bought a couple bottles of that stuff that foams up to clean barrels, is it worth the money, and how do I know when to use it?

Thx.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looking over these threads about gun lube. Do you still recommend simple motor oil, I believe Mobile One was your preference?

Can motor oil outright replace CLP, Breakfree, and FIREClean for all purposes?

If so, then other than a solvent to clean out a barrel, any other liquids needed? Maybe some WD40, to loosen old rusty screws?

Any preferences on barrel cleaners? I bought a couple bottles of that stuff that foams up to clean barrels, is it worth the money, and how do I know when to use it?

Thx.

Yes I still recommend synthetic motor oil, I specifically use Mobil 1. If you keep the firearm lubricated well at all times that I have found that the use of other cleaners is not necessary. I do use a solvent for cleaning barrell and chambers though. I specifically use wipe out and patch out for cleaner as they eliminate the need to use any abrasives or brushes.

If you keep your firearm well lubricated you tend to not need to use cleaners even when wipe downs of internal components are done, as crud does not tend to stick to wet parts. When it is actually time to clean I use soap and water and do a thorough breakdown in the sink. I wash with soap, rinse, and dry with compressed air, and add lubrication.

You have to remember that this only applies to lubrication and cleaning. You need to concern yourself with protecting the firearm from corrosion which usually means a separate product to apply to the outside of the firearm. In these cases I use Birchwood Casey barricade or G 96.

You can use other products but they are not nesessary IMO unless you have a specifictional need.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Yes I still recommend synthetic motor oil, I specifically use Mobil 1. If you keep the firearm lubricated well at all times that I have found that the use of other cleaners is not necessary. I do use a solvent for cleaning barrell and chambers though. I specifically use wipe out and patch out for cleaner as they eliminate the need to use any abrasives or brushes.

If you keep your firearm well lubricated you tend to not need to use cleaners even when wipe downs of internal components are done, as crud does not tend to stick to wet parts. When it is actually time to clean I use soap and water and do a thorough breakdown in the sink. I wash with soap, rinse, and dry with compressed air, and add lubrication.

You have to remember that this only applies to lubrication and cleaning. You need to concern yourself with protecting the firearm from corrosion which usually means a separate product to apply to the outside of the firearm. In these cases I use Birchwood Casey barricade or G 96.

You can use other products but they are not nesessary IMO unless you have a specifictional need.

Excellent reply, as usual, thanks. I know you've said all this many times before. I ask because I recently ordered that FIREClean stuff, you said you have used it and not worth the expense, but you do use it on suppressor. I have to buy some anti seize for the Boberg, so thought I'd also get whatever else you recommend. I keep my guns oiled, so I don't have much need for anything else as you indicate. Typically, I just push a nylon brush with oily patch through the tube. Sound like that's generally sufficient.

If you have any other product recommendations, I'm all ears, will probably order through Brownells or Midway, unless you know any place better.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I do use the fireclean on suppressor mounts and adjustable gas blocks but many people don't run those devices. I have found fireclean is a great product for the cost for those applications since I don't have to use much.

I'm happy to share my findings. As always, lube and gun care approaches a voodoo science for some people so it's hard to get people to listen when it come ls to gun care. I have experienced customers who freak out when they find out I use water to clean guns. They probably don't realize that places like S&W use water and degrees error to clean guns that come in for service. Some refuse to hear it though.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    ?....... I specifically use wipe out and patch out for cleaner as they eliminate the need to use any abrasives or brushes.

When it is actually time to clean I use soap and water and do a thorough breakdown in the sink. I wash with soap, rinse, and dry with compressed air, and add lubrication.

:thumbsup:
    I tried Wipe Out after reading one of Clandestine's posts and found it to be worth every penny.

They don't call water the universal solvent for nothing. The first bike shop I worked at a guy washed parts in soapy water all the time. I was initially hesitant but quickly realized it was fine. These days the fewer harsh chemicals I handle the better.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I don't think it causes rust but it definitely is not a very good preservative against rust. I spread it on metal parts along with different greases to do my own test several years ago and it was the worst because even under the tetra grease, rust took hold. It's the stuff that is white

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    :thumbsup:
    I tried Wipe Out after reading one of Clandestine's posts and found it to be worth every penny.

Long before I came here and met Clandestine I was stationed in Texas and tried Wipe Out on the recommendation of a gunsmith down there. I've never used anything else since.

I even brought a bunch of cans with me in case I couldn't find it up north.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom