Which is better - 9mm Luger or .380 ACP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • For everyday carry, in most situations; which is better?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ok, so now that the debate regarding the .40, 9mm and .45 ACP are over (see FBI report on the matter); for best 'service' pistol (military, police and personal protection).

Now lets reexamine the little .380ACP, which nearly everyone (until now) said was 'marginal'; from a civilian personal defense perspective.

Before I post a few videos, and I do hope you watch all of them and come to your own conclusions; let me just jump to what I think is the bottom line today:

For 'duty': The 9mm Luger (9x19mm) is still better than .380ACP, chiefly for a couple reasons - its about 33% more powerful and costs less. <- that's already two good reasons. The other is that there are very few if any .380ACP pistols that are reliable/rugged enough to serve as a front line 'duty' grade handgun. Nearly everyone that makes a .380, makes it as tiny as possible to take advantage of its greatest strength, lower power which allows the manufacture to put it into a much smaller package. Some military's of the past have used .380 as a duty firearm, but it was typically relegated to a defensive sidearm for military officers (personal protection). Remember the original Scorpion pistol, that was .32ACP! Now, CZ has completely reengineered it to be even more popular than ever in the 'right' caliber - 9mm and it's much larger.

Not to dismiss the few med/full sized .380's that are out there, in fact the very first pistol I was tempted to buy was a mid sized .380 Beretta, later I did own the 9mm Taurus PT99 (adjustable sights), and that was a splendid handgun.

The point of this thread is to once again suggest, that if we are going to turn popular opinion and folklore on it's head and agree that the 9mm is every bit the equal (or better when all factors are considered); why not reexamine the .380ACP?

For me the priorities for a defensive handgun are:
    #1 You pull the trigger, it must go bang; reliability is most important.
    #2 It must be of sufficient caliber to penetrate at least 9" (ok, FBI says 12" to 18" are idea).
    #3 Light/small enough that it can be carried most places, most of the time. Micro 9mm's work, tiny .380's do it even better.
    #4 Capacity - Hold enough ammo that give a second or fourth chance (5 rounds minimum)
    #5 Manageable recoil, if I can't shoot 5 shots within 5 seconds, from 5 feet into a 5 inch pie plate; it's unacceptable. So not too big a caliber.

This leaves us with few choices, probably the best among them are .38SPL snub nose revolver (perhaps still king); the pocket 9mm or the tiny .380ACP with the right ammo. Let's only look at the 9mm and .380ACP for now. .380 can be much smaller and lighter than either of the other two choices. 9mm clearly wins with power factor. 38spl is absolutely the most reliable, but less rounds, and not as small. Recoil is the least in .380, and most people find the .380 easier to rack the slide and operate of all the the semi-autos.

th

Which is best for everyday carry for self defense?

Recommend you watch all of these before commenting (at least watch the first two):

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    This image gives a typical size comparison between the same manufacture in both calibers:

2416983df5057da3c0357f5707d2b8bb.jpg

This image is a size comparison between one of the best and smallest 9mm's (Boberg XR9-S) and one of the best and smallest .380's (Ruger LCP):

th

Last edited:

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I would certainly choose the LC9s striker-fired over the older LC9 hammer model. Far better trigger. Just adding this, in case someone who doesn't know that there are two versions happens to read this thread. I've owned the LC9 hammer.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I bought a Ruger LCP for carry. I later bought a Ruger LC9, just because. There is so little difference in the size and weight, I ended up just carrying the LC9.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I would certainly choose the LC9s striker-fired over the older LC9 hammer model. Far better trigger. Just adding this, in case someone who doesn't know that there are two versions happens to read this thread. I've owned the LC9 hammer.

Agreed. I have an LC9 w/ hammer and while I love the ergonomics I hate the trigger on that thing.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I would also remember that many .380 pistols, especially older designs, are blowback operated and can have relatively nasty recoil for a little round.

In my opinion decent self defense rounds don't start until you get to 38SPL or 9mm. That's the bottom tier. I've seen a 100 pound victim shot 5 times by a perp at close range with a .380 and be conscious and walking around fifteen minutes later. I've seen one guy who shot himself in the temple with a .32 S&W, bullet traveled through the front of his brain and wedged up against his skull on the other side, he decided that probably wasn't a good idea what he just did and called 911, and was standing in the living room talking on a cordless phone to the police dispatcher when the first officer got there. Even the larger traditional defensive calibers are relatively underpowered for reliably stopping a threat, so I certainly wouldn't go to a small one. Just my .02.

reddobie0

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    Lost Somewhere
    I like my sig P230. It is probably my favorite because it was the first handgun I purchased. I bought it over 20 years ago to carry when I worked as a correctional officer. Good CC gun for me. :party29:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    9x19 is much more versatile, much more powerful, and in most any platform 9mm can fit and function in, it would be the better choice between the 2. For anything where 9x19 is too large or powerful to function, or be controllable, I would say 32ACP is superior to 380 in almost every way. It has less recoil, better capacity, better sectional density, and usually better penetration at nearly the same energy with some of the hot modern loadings, while possessing 2-3X the energy of 22lr or 25ACP. In many ways 380 is too big to be ideal for a pocket mousegun, too small for a compact or subcompact belt gun. I've owned a few 380s, but they tend to be the first I trade off for better.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Great topic. I don't have any .380s but have the LCP on my radar.

I have heard many complaints about many companies' .380s in the reliability category, though, which would trump everything else.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I would also remember that many .380 pistols, especially older designs, are blowback operated and can have relatively nasty recoil for a little round.

In my opinion decent self defense rounds don't start until you get to 38SPL or 9mm. That's the bottom tier. I've seen a 100 pound victim shot 5 times by a perp at close range with a .380 and be conscious and walking around fifteen minutes later. I've seen one guy who shot himself in the temple with a .32 S&W, bullet traveled through the front of his brain and wedged up against his skull on the other side, he decided that probably wasn't a good idea what he just did and called 911, and was standing in the living room talking on a cordless phone to the police dispatcher when the first officer got there. Even the larger traditional defensive calibers are relatively underpowered for reliably stopping a threat, so I certainly wouldn't go to a small one. Just my .02.

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/1...-northeast-d-c-apartment-building-109047.html

Guy shot a .25 through a metal door.....baby died. Not sure what happened with her as far as health. She was circling the drain last I heard but that was a while ago. You just never know.

380 is good enough to get me away from a situation but I've become a fan of 357 Sig and 9mm :)

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Great topic. I don't have any .380s but have the LCP on my radar.

I have heard many complaints about many companies' .380s in the reliability category, though, which would trump everything else.

I've got 1 with an ankle holster, a box of Winchester PDX, and pocket clip........I'm interested in trades.........see below and bulk 7.62x51 ammo. Oh an a G19.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Not only do they make the LC9s but they now have the LC9s Pro...no external safety, just trigger like Glock. Probably trying to get ready for the G42 in 9mm if I had to guess.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9s/models.html
    I've got to get me one of those... But in the argument between the calibers; You have to have it with you when you need it. That's the best round to have.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    In my opinion decent self defense rounds don't start until you get to 38SPL or 9mm. That's the bottom tier... Even the larger traditional defensive calibers are relatively underpowered for reliably stopping a threat, so I certainly wouldn't go to a small one. Just my .02.

I agree with this. Difficultly in concealing is vastly overstated by most people that don't do it regularly. I've said it many times and will repeat. Pick your gun and dress around it. Don't take an inferior gun for the sake of your fashion.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I agree with this. Difficultly in concealing is vastly overstated by most people that don't do it regularly. I've said it many times and will repeat. Pick your gun and dress around it. Don't take an inferior gun for the sake of your fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom