• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    I just made a run to Bass Pro yesterday for some shotshell components and it has become very clear that the smaller local shops are the place to go. Bass Pro used to be the go to if you wanted to make a purchase of several different components from one place, apparently not the case anymore. They only had ONE shotshell powder and that was 800X and they were asking 26.99 for it?? Also, lead shot was 54.99 for a 25lb bag. At these prices it doesn't make much sense to reload other than hobby and variety. 800X is going for much cheaper in PA. I am left scratching my head. Prices are getting outrageous. I guess you just have to scramble and get your components piece by piece now from whomever may have them that week. Oye.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive never found Bass Pro to be the best price on any outdoor gear period. They are WAY overpriced on most things.

The only time I shop Bass Pro, is if I end up with gift cards from someone, that dosnt know I dont care for that place.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Once in a great while, you'll find a good deal at BPS. However, the place is mostly overpriced. It drives me crazy how they price some firearms and fishing reels above retail.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How much are you going to spend in gas driving to PA and driving all over town looking to save 4 dolla?

In my truck, 4 dolla in gas gives me 18 miles to complain before it's no longer a bargin looking for the item.

In the end, it is usually cheaper to buy it where you located it in the first place.

Consider the fact that BP has sales, flyers, coupons, and discounts as well.

Guns shops won't have these things.

Just my .03 (Inflation, Capitalism, and the American way.)

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    How much are you going to spend in gas driving to PA and driving all over town looking to save 4 dolla? In my truck, 4 dolla in gas gives me 18 miles to complain before it's no longer a bargin looking for the item. In the end, it is usually cheaper to buy it where you located it in the first place. Consider the fact that BP has sales, flyers, coupons, and discounts as well. Guns shops won't have these things. Just my .03 (Inflation, Capitalism, and the American way.)

I grew up in spring grove and have family there that i see at least once a month. I live in new market so wind up driving through Hanover in route. No big deal for me to swing into Sells on the way. Great shop. Very impressed with how much stuff they have in there and the quality of costumer service. I recommend that place to anyone. When it comes to price difference, yes I would drive a distance to save 4 bucks if it is a privately owned small business like that. Just an effort to support the little guy.

Terplover

Ponca Nation
    Oct 31, 2012
    I live within walking distance to Bass Pro. Firearms prices are ridiculous. They rely on shoppers who do not research prices and want convenience. Kids love the shooting gallery and fish aquarium. Fun place to visit but I like supporting the smaller shops.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I received a Bass Pro Shop gift card a while back and used 1/2 of it within a week or so of getting it. I did not have occasion to stop at at a BPS again for a while and when I did I was told the remaining value on the card was no longer valid. I left the stuff right there and have not been back. They got their money up front and screwed both me and the people who bought the card as a gift

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I received a Bass Pro Shop gift card a while back and used 1/2 of it within a week or so of getting it. I did not have occasion to stop at at a BPS again for a while and when I did I was told the remaining value on the card was no longer valid. I left the stuff right there and have not been back. They got their money up front and screwed both me and the people who bought the card as a gift

The cards never expire. It should state so on the back. I've held onto cards for years before making expensive purchases.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Was it a long while ago? I also got a BPS gift card a few months ago. After reading your post I looked on the back of the card and it clearly states "This card does not expire and is valid until redeemed". Not that it makes me like BPS any less than I already do. :)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    How much are primers there? Say small pistol?

I bought three tins (300) of CCI magnum small rifle the other day and it came in under 15 bucks including tax if I'm not mistaken.

Ther is a lot more to the story.

Let's just say they appreciated my honesty.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    The cards never expire. It should state so on the back. I've held onto cards for years before making expensive purchases.

Older cards did expire. It was a law change.

Md. Commercial Code Ann. §14-1319
    A person may not sell or issue a gift certificate that, within four years after the date of purchase, is subject to expiration or a fee or charge of any kind.

Md. Commercial Code Ann. §14-1320
    A gift card may be subject to expiration, if disclosed as specified.

111th Congress Public Law 24 - CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTABILITY RESPONSIBILITY AND DISCLOSURE ACT OF 2009 has some limits.

duckslayer56

Mar 8, 2014
    Odenton
    I went in yesterday to buy a brick of WLP primers and was astounded to see a price tag of $50 on them! I need to find another shop to buy components from.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've been reloading for shotguns since I could walk, and paying for components since I was 21, which is about 21 years ago. I was at Bass Pro a lot when it first opened in Arundel Mills and I was also shooting a lot of clays back then. I can guarantee you that Bass Pro was expensive for reloading components back then too.

I just order 5 pounds of powder, a bunch of primers, and whatever else I need from a select few online retailers. I pay the $27.50 hazmat fee and still come out way ahead of buying the stuff locally. I buy my shot from PG County Trap and Skeet.

Ten years ago, a box of STS or AA was $4.99. Nowadays, they go for around $8.99. Likewise, components have almost doubled too. Back in the 90's, shot was going for around $20 per bag. Ammo has just gotten way more expensive in the past decade. Then again, talk to somebody that reloaded in the 70's and prices were insane back in the 90's.

Only time I go to Bass Pro nowadays is when I need something in a hurry that I cannot wait for UPS to deliver it. Oh yeah, and to look around the store at stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom