• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    To give you folks an idea of the events on my application, below is the timeline thusfar. Here is a thread for info like this: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=77843. In addition, I send this timeline to Delegate Smiegel as things progress.

*Application submitted 3/08/2012
    *Received Clean MD Background check 3/21/2012
    *Check Cashed by MSP 3/12/2012, #81113 written on check
    *April 3rd – References XX XXXXXX, XXXXXX XXXXXXXX and XXXXXX XXXX contacted by Trooper XXXXXXXXX from Easton barracks and conducted interviews via telephone
    *April 4th – Trooper XXXXXXXXX contacted me via cell phone to request wife’s telephone contact info and then called her to conduct interviews. He called her back later that day and requested contact info for my employer (we work for the same outfit).

doc64

C&R Collector
    Sep 29, 2010
    Raspeburg MD
    I'm a 13th receive as well, and have heard nothing.

I think it's pretty clear that there is no set order (and maybe no real decision process) on who will get contacted when. It may even be that there are some apps meeting particular criteria who woll receive no call.

It may well be that they're just randomly pulling out apps at this point, whenever someone has a few minutes, feeling that there is plenty of time to do anything about it.

Early on, it seemed the MSP felt an urgency to handle apps as they came in... but then the floodgates opened, and they were dealing with [potentially] 4-digit numbers in apps received. Add to that the stay, and it's easy for me to see them going into a 4-corners stall.

well a confidential informant in the state police may or may not have indicated that all apps without good reason are being put to the back of the pile and apps with good reasons are being process but that may be a rumor.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Update 4/5/2012:

An investigator called me to reschedule my interview. My interview is now on April 12. This was NOT the same trooper who I had been in contact with throughout the process. I was told the original trooper who was handling my application was reassigned.

The one now handling my case was NOT a happy camper it seemed. His tone left much to be desired...I almost think he is just going through the motions only to deny my application.

He asked pointedly "so...you want this for personal protection/self defense huh?" He also asked for my wife's number. The way he was talking was if as he was trying to be intimiditating (I didn't take the bait and was respectful and answered every question with a smile). This just didn't feel right.

I will update again after the interview on the 12th.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    He asked pointedly "so...you want this for personal protection/self defense huh?" He also asked for my wife's number. The way he was talking was if as he was trying to be intimiditating (I didn't take the bait and was repectful and answered every question with a smile). This just didn't feel right.

Sounds about right, unfortunately.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Well, not to tell anyone what to do, but I am in the same boat of not hearing (although they got my app. on the 23d of March). I intend to sit tight. BTW, you may wish to review MD Code, Public Safety, § 5-312. It outlines your administrative rights. Here it is:

Public Safety (Refs & Annos)
    Title 5. Firearms
    Subtitle 3. Handgun Permits (Refs & Annos)
    § 5-312. Action by Board
    Request for review authorized
    (a)(1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request
    the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after
    receipt of written notice of the Secretary's final action.
    (2) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit is not acted on by the Secretary within 90
    days after submitting the application to the Secretary may request a hearing before the Board by filing a written
    request with the Board.
    Form of review
    (b) Within 90 days after receiving a request to review a decision of the Secretary, the Board shall:
    (1) review the record developed by the Secretary; or
    (2) conduct a hearing.
    Evidence
    (c) The Board may receive and consider additional evidence submitted by a party in conducting a review of the
    decision of the Secretary.
    Decision by Board
    (d)(1) Based on the Board's consideration of the record and any additional evidence, the Board shall sustain, reverse,
    or modify the decision of the Secretary.
    (2) If the action by the Board results in the denial of a permit or renewal of a permit or the revocation or limitation
    of a permit, the Board shall submit in writing to the applicant or the holder of the permit the reasons for
    the action taken by the Board.
    Administrative procedures
    (e)(1) Any hearing and any subsequent proceedings of judicial review shall be conducted in accordance with
    Title 10, Subtitle 2 of the State Government Article.
    (2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1) of this subsection, a court may not order the issuance or renewal of a permit
    or alter a limitation on a permit pending a final determination of the proceeding.

I was reading that and I guess this is the guideline they go by, under normal operating conditions. And I'm sure most likely should still go by with these current events.

But I was just wondering what is more likely to happen do to what is going on?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Update 4/5/2012:

An investigator called me to reschedule my interview. My interview is now on April 12. This was NOT the same trooper who I had been in contact with throughout the process. I was told the original trooper who was handling my application was reassigned.

The one now handling my case was NOT a happy camper it seemed. His tone left much to be desired...I almost think he is just going through the motions only to deny my application.

He asked pointedly "so...you want this for personal protection/self defense huh?" He also asked for my wife's number. The way he was talking was if as he was trying to be intimiditating (I didn't take the bait and was respectful and answered every question with a smile). This just didn't feel right.

I will update again after the interview on the 12th.

It sounds to me like you got on of the troopers that think that only police should own guns. They are out there.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    How many states are "Shall Issue?" To me, that's a good reason also. In other words, we want the same privileges as those states. So, then, how many are SI? I think it is 38 states.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    Hope your experience is better than mine

You may experience 2 different troopers . One handles the interview / investigation process, and one handles the rest. The trooper that handled the first part was like you said, very polite and down to earth. I am not sure if this hurt or helped...but I could not make the interview due to the fact I was in Afghanistan. He was very accommodating and proceeded with the process over the phone. They asked some simple questions, and some questionable questions. "what fire arm are you going to conceal ??" However, the trooper did not seem to be interested in any prior law enforcement experience or fire arms experience in general.

THEN .....everything went down hill. Out of the blue I received a denial letter with no further information other than the appeal process. So i called the trooper that was listed on the denial . (different from the interview trooper) I maybe got about 2 sentences in, and he cut me off and said i did not provide documents ...so I was being denied. I asked him to clarify, and he responsed with "are you done yet ? I have a lot of reports to do". I proceeded to call and email him for clarification, and was very polite the entire time. His one response was "you were only a cop, what has changed ??"
    He told me that i had 5 years separation of service ....in which I did not know there was a limitation.

I then heard nothing from him. No email returns, no returned phone calls. I then called one more time and informed him that if he does not return my phone call, I will have to file a complaint with the state due to the fact the MSP took my money , and now will not talk to me. I filed the complaint after not receiving any call back.

I scheduled a formal appeal, and he came in FLAMING mad, asking why I filed the complaint. (I was actually surprised the Governors office actually followed up on it)
    I showed him printed copies of my phone calls, and emails that were never responded too, and the blew it off as nothing. His Lt. then came in , and apologized for his troopers attitude , and told me that I was being denied because I did not have 5 years of experience as a police officer and I had not been attacked, raped , or under any threat.

When I asked about their internal rules, due to conflicting stories, I was told I could file a freedom of information act request !

I would love to give the troopers name here, just to see if anyone else has experience the same behavior.

kjf45

Jan 3, 2012
    Catonsville
    You may experience 2 different troopers . One handles the interview / investigation process, and one handles the rest. The trooper that handled the first part was like you said, very polite and down to earth. I am not sure if this hurt or helped...but I could not make the interview due to the fact I was in Afghanistan. He was very accommodating and proceeded with the process over the phone. They asked some simple questions, and some questionable questions. "what fire arm are you going to conceal ??" However, the trooper did not seem to be interested in any prior law enforcement experience or fire arms experience in general.

THEN .....everything went down hill. Out of the blue I received a denial letter with no further information other than the appeal process. So i called the trooper that was listed on the denial . (different from the interview trooper) I maybe got about 2 sentences in, and he cut me off and said i did not provide documents ...so I was being denied. I asked him to clarify, and he responsed with "are you done yet ? I have a lot of reports to do". I proceeded to call and email him for clarification, and was very polite the entire time. His one response was "you were only a cop, what has changed ??"
    He told me that i had 5 years separation of service ....in which I did not know there was a limitation.

I then heard nothing from him. No email returns, no returned phone calls. I then called one more time and informed him that if he does not return my phone call, I will have to file a complaint with the state due to the fact the MSP took my money , and now will not talk to me. I filed the complaint after not receiving any call back.

I scheduled a formal appeal, and he came in FLAMING mad, asking why I filed the complaint. (I was actually surprised the Governors office actually followed up on it)
    I showed him printed copies of my phone calls, and emails that were never responded too, and the blew it off as nothing. His Lt. then came in , and apologized for his troopers attitude , and told me that I was being denied because I did not have 5 years of experience as a police officer and I had not been attacked, raped , or under any threat.

When I asked about their internal rules, due to conflicting stories, I was told I could file a freedom of information act request !

I would love to give the troopers name here, just to see if anyone else has experience the same behavior.

When did you apply and when did you get denied?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

My understanding is that MSI would like to know about these occurrences, as well as Delegate Michael Smigiel. IMHO, you should let them know.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Can you tell us the dates this all happen?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

Also another good example of how the MSP think they are much better in some way that any other police officer.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    I'm a 13th receive as well, and have heard nothing.

I think it's pretty clear that there is no set order (and maybe no real decision process) on who will get contacted when. It may even be that there are some apps meeting particular criteria who woll receive no call.

It may well be that they're just randomly pulling out apps at this point, whenever someone has a few minutes, feeling that there is plenty of time to do anything about it.

Early on, it seemed the MSP felt an urgency to handle apps as they came in... but then the floodgates opened, and they were dealing with [potentially] 4-digit numbers in apps received. Add to that the stay, and it's easy for me to see them going into a 4-corners stall.

Same here and personally agree with you, I am glad I haven't heard boo yet---One thing we might want to contemplate, when reading the code Esq provided:

Public Safety (Refs & Annos)
    Title 5. Firearms
    Subtitle 3. Handgun Permits (Refs & Annos)
    § 5-312. Action by Board
    Request for review authorized
    (a)(1) A person who is denied a permit or renewal of a permit or whose permit is revoked or limited may request
    the Board to review the decision of the Secretary by filing a written request with the Board within 10 days after
    receipt of written notice of the Secretary's final action.
    (2) A person whose application for a permit or renewal of a permit is not acted on by the Secretary within 90
    days after submitting the application to the Secretary may request a hearing before the Board by filing a written
    request with the Board.

I think that might be the key time frame or reference we all should use. I used tracking for my app and it was delivered on the 12th, so that is the day the clock starts I would assume, even though my check was cashed on the 16th.

I personally will sit tight and just wait and will only take action if i am getting close to 90 days with no word from MSP or no "Stay" determination or if I happen to rcv a "Denied" letter from MSP to which i will file for the review/appeal, if nothing more than to buy additional time.

Even if I exhaust all of the above avenues and it ends up with a "denied" in the end, I then will wait out the legal system until the appeal process is completed, and then re-apply if "we win". The way I see it, one trip to the range usually cost about the cost of the application process when you add in range cost, ammo cost and gas at todays' prices, so it is a worth while trade for me for a chance....

Mean time, I hold and cherish my 2A rights offered to me by Utah, Florida and Va. Just wish I could give them my state taxes as well-----

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland

I was given thing website of an attorney that will help with handgun permits.

http://www.walterbooth.net/1023/index.html

It's an option. Also The man that told me about this guy told me it is a good idea to get this attorney to help you fill out your app.

Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    This was over the summer of 2010. I told the trooper that i had 5 years separation of service to the time I applied was because I was traveling to Afghanistan for tdy !! He just shrugged it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom