• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Of course we should get the Trooper's name. Is recording too aggressive of a posture to take? I have a small digital recorder. It goes in your pocket and can't be seen. Can an interview be held in the same light as a recording of LE in a public place, and therefore legal? I guess you could ask the Trooper for permission beforehand.

I assume whatever you say in the interview is moot (except for admission of a crime) :D when and if we prevail in court.

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    Of course we should get the Trooper's name. Is recording too aggressive of a posture to take? I have a small digital recorder. It goes in your pocket and can't be seen. Can an interview be held in the same light as a recording of LE in a public place, and therefore legal? I guess you could ask the Trooper for permission beforehand.

I assume whatever you say in the interview is moot (except for admission of a crime) :D when and if we prevail in court.

Only if you want to be denied because you are paranoid and have issues!

The troopers are just doing what they are told to do. There is an interview process, they probably have set questions. Until someone says its not useful anymore just be nice. :)

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I am with you, my application was mailed on Tuesday. I will show up and be polite if I am invited to an interview, I will answer politely ... they are just the messengers.
    They have to do what they are told to do ...

But does it not mean if anybody is actually conducting the interview before a stay is granted and they ask you that very question that they are indeed breaking the law ... am I seeing this wrong?

jmcgonig

Jan 18, 2012
    Germantown, MD
    I am with you, my application was mailed on Tuesday. I will show up and be polite if I am invited to an interview, I will answer politely ... they are just the messengers.

But does it not mean if anybody is actually conducting the interview before a stay is granted and they ask you that very question that they are indeed breaking the law ... am I seeing this wrong?

No, they can ask if you have G&S, they just can't deny because of it. :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Only if you want to be denied because you are paranoid and have issues!

The troopers are just doing what they are told to do. There is an interview process, they probably have set questions. Until someone says its not useful anymore just be nice. :)

Of course that's the plan. Just asking the question

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012

No, for complex legal reasons, they can ask the question and apply 5(ii), basically as long as the stay motion is pending, either in the district court or in the court of appeals. I personally believe that the state will comply if they are denied a stay by the district court and the 4th circuit, or, if they get the stay, when (and if) they lose on appeal.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

I was thinking I would turn on my phone and record the interview when I go as well. Just make sure you ask permission first as it is is illegal in MD to record a conversation unless both parties agree. Make sure you get them to agree a second time once you start the recording to get it on record.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    I could also understand if they ask some question like.... What would you do if someone jumped out in front of you with a gun? If your reply is along the lines of.... I would pull out my 44mag and see if it was that SOBs lucky Fing day as I let the lead fly..... They might not like that and have a way of not approving you.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I could also understand if they ask some question like.... What would you do if someone jumped out in front of you with a gun? If your reply is along the lines of.... I would pull out my 44mag and see if it was that SOBs lucky Fing day as I let the lead fly..... They might not like that and have a way of not approving you.

I doubt it. Even if they did I would politely refuse to answer as it is irrelevant to the application process.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    No, for complex legal reasons, they can ask the question and apply 5(ii), basically as long as the stay motion is pending, either in the district court or in the court of appeals. I personally believe that the state will comply if they are denied a stay by the district court and the 4th circuit, or, if they get the stay, when (and if) they lose on appeal.

I am begining to think they are going to accept personal protection as a reason and issue permits accordingly. The last time I applied 10 years ago with personal protection as the reason they called me and told me not to bother. Then asked if I wanted my check back or to proceed. I think they feel if they issue permits now they can always revoke them tomorrow. It gets them out from under a huge class action lawsuit if Legg is upheld and they continue to denied permits on G&S grounds. ;)

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I just saw this thread and noticed my check was deposited, sweet! I just sent it snail mail and was a little worried they'd drop it in the circular file, the canceled check is good proof they got it! I'm not listing my 5 digit code on here though, call me paranoid I guess. I don't want anything stupid that I've said to disqualify me ;)

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    This is all very encouraging!

My app was received a day or two after csanc123's so we'll see what happens to me next. Lets all try to represent ourselves, the gun community, and MSI, in a polite, respectful way. We need to show others that we are responsible gun owners, not the raving, gun toting, shooting-in-the-air lunatics that some make us out to be. This should be done not just at these interviews, but on all occassions. One nevers knows when he or she is setting a bad example of whatever group they are representing.

We all need to also remember that MSP is the middle man here. We are on one side, the AG is on the other, and MSP is in the middle, only doing what the state tells them to.

Good luck to all!

MH

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    The trooper stated that they he would be calling my references today and that he would document the findings . . .

As a California boy, I'd be grateful for any movement towards shall issue LTC in our state, but the idea that references would be needed prior to the exercise of a fundamental right just sticks in my craw. I hope you folks will be able to take care of this little matter before it's our turn to take a swing at LTC.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo

If it's only the two of you and AT NO TIME does anyone come into the area and speak, or can a third party be recorded, you can record it without notifing him/her. (iPhone in the pocket...) [This is Federal Law..., State may be different...]

However, it IS a crime to record more that your conversation (e.g. basically wire tapping).

So the only wise thing you can do is ask if the Tropper minds. ...and nobody in their right might is going to say yes.

Now, if you ask if the interview is being recorded, and he says yes, then you can FOIA or PIA the recordings. ...or indicate that you'll be recording the coversation, because he's just indicated that the expectation of privacy no longer exists.

I would, however, not take me and my generic rambelings as legal adivce; consult a attorney as this is not proper legal advice. ...and I'm not a expert.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Guidance From MSI

My suggestion on how to handle these interviews:

If you have a G&S resaon above and beyond the rest of us, please use it. Everyone with a permit is a good thing for you, your family and the community. That said, don't stretch things.

The rest of us who put down "Personal Defense" are just that: normal schmucks. Don't play it up or down. Don't talk about the kid on the corner who gave you the stink eye. Just tell them, "I want to exercise my right to carry a firearm in public for self-defense."

No need to argue with them. No need to 'convert' them. No need to argue the law or point out the AG's bad arguments. This is about you and your rights.

I imagine interviews might come up a bit short. Mine could take all of four minutes, including niceties about the weather and disgruntled mumblings about the Orioles. You may feel pressured by the situation to make normal daily occurrences seem a bit more dangerous than they are. Don't succumb. Just be rational and respectful.

We don't need the interviewer's name and badge number. It's enough that you keep the same. If you hear info from them, please share it via PM or online. Some of these troopers may share personal opinions; please respect the position they are in. If they say the state sucks for not giving a permit, understand a public posting might make their life a little uncomfortable for a few days. Be nice.

But if someone crosses a line (you'll know it, I suspect), just end the interview as respectfully as possible, take real good notes the moment you get in the car, and holler to us fast.

These troopers are not the enemy. They are line-level people probably assigned to handle the glut of applications. They will do their job and move on. They don't make the call, but impression count. Be professional, be courteous and remember you represent everyone out here. Don't embellish. Just state your desire to exercise your right and leave it at that.

For those with enhanced reasons, do whatever it takes. Don't take one for the team.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    These troopers are not the enemy. They are line-level people probably assigned to handle the glut of applications. They will do their job and move on. They don't make the call, but impression count. Be professional, be courteous and remember you represent everyone out here. Don't embellish. Just state your desire to exercise your right and leave it at that.

That was basically my experience when I PIA'ed all of my records from the MSP.

Normal people, albeit colored from 10-20 years of being a police officer, that were trying to do their jobs.

The CID folks are not so nice, as they do nothing but spend their days putting up with crap. (Not an excuse, just an observation.)

I would suspect that everyone that applies and is interviewed will have a very normal time of it. It's not like you're being polygraphed or any of type of nonse...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom