Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    GSG-MP5
    S&W M&P AR-22 and they all like Federal 550

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Marlin 60 (though I hate cleaning them) or Papoose
    Sig 226 .22 (this gun just keeps growing and growing on me)
    PPS50

Would like to say my beltfed AR razorback but still trying to work out the glitches

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Marlin 60 (though I hate cleaning them)

I have been thinking about buying a semi-auto .22 for my son for Christmas. I'm sort of leaning against the 10/22, because of the hard-to-load magazine, and my personal experience with their poor accuracy.

Are the Marlin 60's difficult to clean, vs. other semi .22's?

edit: Also, what about the Marlin 795? I do like a magazine-fed, better than a tube-fed design.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    The 60 comes apart with a screwdriver. 2 screws and the action drops out the bottom, the bolt drops out next.
    Piece of cake.
    795 is the same. The 60's tube mag is easier to load.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    795 is the same. The 60's tube mag is easier to load.

Good to know! Do you know if the tube magazine is different from the Henry's? I always found loading the Henry to be a little awkward and slow, vs. loading a regular magazine.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I can't say anything about the Henry's tube-mag, no experience, but the Model 60's tube is as straightforward as it can get, twist rod, remove rod, load tube, re-insert rod.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ruger 10/22 I have three of them, sold the 795 cause after 50 rounds it just got to dirty and wouldn't function correctly.

For a semi-handgun I love my Ruger MKII and Ruger MKIII 22/45

For a wheelgun of the ones I have shot you can't beat an old Hi-Standard Double Nine or any of their old .22 revolvers.

I also have a Iver Johnson 55A PIA to load/unload but fun to shoot and a tack driver.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have been thinking about buying a semi-auto .22 for my son for Christmas. I'm sort of leaning against the 10/22, because of the hard-to-load magazine, and my personal experience with their poor accuracy.

Are the Marlin 60's difficult to clean, vs. other semi .22's?

edit: Also, what about the Marlin 795? I do like a magazine-fed, better than a tube-fed design.

Everything in the Model 60 is easy, with the exception of the recoil spring which is easily crimped (but they are cheap) same issue exists in all of the other Marlin .22s as they share that part of the design (I have "fd" up so many papoose springs its not funny).

ali

Nov 2, 2011
    Love my 10/22 - for the versatility. So many ways to go. I've pretty much replaced all parts except the receiver. Thinking I'll do that next then use this receiver to build something new :)

Spur

May 1, 2011
    Harford County
    For precision rifle: Anshultz free rifle, rebarrelled with a Hart SS chambered for Eley Black, 11 degree crown, Brown Precision Stock. Back up with Winchester 52D
    For plinking: Winchester 75 or 10/22
    For revolver: Ruger Single action
    For auto pistol: Ruger Mark II

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    For match use: Anschutz 54. I owned a Remington 540 set into a position stock, but it wasn't nearly as accurate.

For plinking: the first .22 I ever had was a Marlin-Glenfield M60. It was OK accuracy wise but the rod at the end of the tube magazine kept coming loose. I agree that the 10/22 mags are a pain, but with all of the aftermarket stuff you can get, I'm still in the Ruger camp... although the Marlin 795 sounds pretty slick for real cheap...

For Bullseye handgun: I still own a High Standard Supermatic Trophy and it probably shoots better than I can (getting mags tuned is a major pain)... but I still pine away for the S&W M41 I traded away.

For plinker handgun: semiauto- Ruger Mk-II; Revolver- S&W K22

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Hold on guys. The ruger mag is a work of art. I would say it is the only reason the 10/22 is so popular. You can make them about 50 times better if you:
    http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

And while it is apart, polish the lips with some fine buffing compound on a cotton bob. They are easier to load and feed much smoother. Make sure you do the 8 flats, 6 is not quite enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom