• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    How long did you have to wait? Just saw Smokey, a Bass Pro employee, post something about "Pick up your phones people". Just wondering if Bass Pro has had a change of policy/heart, because it is really starting to piss me off and I don't even have a handgun in prison over there.

They have. They just began an 11 day policy and are starting by cleaning up the back log.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I interpret it as taking possession after September 30, 2013. The term in the letter is "deliver/take delivery." Therefore, it is irrelevant as to when the ND comes back.

Moral: only purchase handguns from timely-releasing dealers to avoid the HQL.

There's no interpretation needed. The letter is very clear--the law clearly states that on/after Oct 1, to have a gun physically transferred to the owner, that owner will have to have a HQL.

Purchase your guns from a dealer releasing after 8 or so days and make sure it's in your hands by Sept 30th.

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    I believe per contract law, I have taken possession of my handgun when it was offered to me to buy and I accepted the offer and paid for it. A Federal Firearms Representative (Licensee), or FFL, is now holding my possession (handgun) until the state can confirm that indeed, I can continue to possess my handgun legally. One law says I own it and another determines if I can own it legally. The first action supports that I am the owner. The 77 app in the hands of the MSP indicates that I am the owner. Seems I meet the pre Oct. 1 requirement. :)

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    I believe per contract law, I have taken possession of my handgun when it was offered to me to buy and I accepted the offer and paid for it. A Federal Firearms Representative (Licensee), or FFL, is now holding my possession (handgun) until the state can confirm that indeed, I can continue to possess my handgun legally. One law says I own it and another determines if I can own it legally. The first action supports that I am the owner. The 77 app in the hands of the MSP indicates that I am the owner. Seems I meet the pre Oct. 1 requirement. :)

Is that how Gunrunners (aka Guncrawlers) feels as well? Willing to play fast and loose with the Oct 1/HQL but won't give long term customers on time release? Wonder how Bob feels about holding guns for 120-150days + then Oct 1 he gets to keep holding them until someone gets through the HQL at both their own and especially the state's leisure (maybe another 6-9 months).

Just frustrated!

Grits

In God I Trust And Live
    Jul 12, 2012
    Frederick
    Is that how Gunrunners (aka Guncrawlers) feels as well? Willing to play fast and loose with the Oct 1/HQL but won't give long term customers on time release? Wonder how Bob feels about holding guns for 120-150days + then Oct 1 he gets to keep holding them until someone gets through the HQL at both their own and especially the state's leisure (maybe another 6-9 months).

Just frustrated!

No, I wasn't even thinking about Bob or Gunrunners.

Believe me I feel your frustration. I just have a hard time joining in on the hysteria. I don't believe there is any conspiracy to keep us from getting our firearms already in the process, prior to Oct.1st. It's a backlog plain and simple. In time, early or late, we will have our purchases.

The same hysteria is what has the ammo situation all mucked up. Everybody needs to take a deep breath, stop hysteria buying and go fishing. Get your bows out and practice for deer season coming up. Clean up the guns you already have and keep your eyes open for the new indoor range coming to Frederick. Everyone can then start burning some of that ammo that's been hoarded.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    There's no interpretation needed. The letter is very clear--the law clearly states that on/after Oct 1, to have a gun physically transferred to the owner, that owner will have to have a HQL.

Purchase your guns from a dealer releasing after 8 or so days and make sure it's in your hands by Sept 30th.

Just my humble opinion but I believe our best effort is to choke the MSP with HQL applications asap. This is probably the opposite of how they expected we would respond.

I believe this action will support the notion that Marylander's are being denied our second amendment rights.

Thoughts?

Mr H

Banana'd
    Just my humble opinion but I believe our best effort is to choke the MSP with HQL applications asap. This is probably the opposite of how they expected we would respond.

I believe this action will support the notion that Marylander's are being denied our second amendment rights.

Thoughts?

I don't disagree with most of this... but....

1 - No one knows when that will be possible!

2 - I think they DO know there will be a flood, and they're banking on it!

The more [delays] the merrier [the Administration will be].

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    I don't disagree with most of this... but....

1 - No one knows when that will be possible!

2 - I think they DO know there will be a flood, and they're banking on it!

The more [delays] the merrier [the Administration will be].

Doesn't "more delays" also = "more ammo" for the NRA and it's attorney's?

Mr H

Banana'd
    To a point, yes... and that part I welcome.

But, it also means folks are missing out on having their firearms in a timely and legal manner.

It would be easy for me to sit here and say that I have all my goodies, let the court battle begin.

There are too many of us out there along the whole want/need spectrum who have their purchases in MSP purgatory, with dealers that are afraid, unsure, adamant, or playing games with regard to releasing.

I did talk to a gal at a LGS tonight who really wishes more people would get on the horn to their legislators, and really make some noise over this. Of course, I took a shine to her:)

She has a lot of new shooters that have come on board, and wants them to have all the information possible, and the best circumstances they can. I can argue??!!

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Is there an application yet? I have not seen any info yet on obtaining the HQL.

Thoughts?

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    I agree, but the word "transfer" throws a wrench in there.

mitternacht

Apr 13, 2009
    I need to stock up on popcorn. You couldn’t even make up the drama this new law is causing. I can see FFLs struggling in a few months, unless they start doing online pistol sales out of state post 10/1 while MD residents get in line for HQLs. I wonder what % of sales pistols are for the FFLs?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie

Good luck with that.

Dave T

........ For those of us that have never bought a handgun, this is a total ban. Personally, I do not have the funds available at the moment to purchase one from any of the known 8-day FFL, and won't have the funds until after 01OCT......

Could you at least afford to buy a cheap handgun before Oct 1 to be grandfathered in? Hi-Point 9mm semi-autos sell for $160 on GB. Might even be able to find something cheaper (used) at a pawn shop.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Keep in mind if a request for an injunction is to be filed we would want the person filing the request to be a first time buyer

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012

Thoughts?

Why would they care if there's another huge backlog? We've already made one of those and raised all kinds of hell, no one important enough to make a change could care less about it. They're just happy to get their $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom