• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    So as I understand this, in order to purchase a handgun, even a .22LR, post 10/1:

1. Obtain a HQL which entails
    a) Attend and pass a training class which has yet to be defined. This is waived if you already own a handgun, have been or are in the military, or are a LEO.
    b) Get electronic fingerprints
    c) Apply for the permit, which I'm sure will involve a background investigation and a waiting period of weeks to months.
    2. Find a handgun of your choosing and pay for it.
    3. Wait the mandatory 8-100+ days for another background investigation, because the one to get your HQL in the first place wasn't good enough.

What I'm really asking is, will there STILL be the wait period for another background check each time you purchase a handgun?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    So as I understand this, in order to purchase a handgun, even a .22LR, post 10/1:

a) Attend and pass a training class which has yet to be defined. This is waived if you already own a handgun, have been or are in the military, or are a LEO.
    c) Apply for the permit, which I'm sure will involve a background investigation and a waiting period of weeks to months.
    3. Wait the mandatory 8-100+ days for another background investigation, because the one to get your HQL in the first place wasn't good enough.

What I'm really asking is, will there STILL be the wait period for another background check each time you purchase a handgun?

Yes.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo

Yes, each time. You know each evil firearm must be investigated. The HQL is not about speeding up the process, or making it more efficient. It is about stifling one's ability to purchase same.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I know it's ridiculous to complain about it as I am exempt from the training requirement and my fingerprints are already on file but they can kiss my ass. It's the principle of the issue. Buying a new handgun before the cutoff and after that....it's cash and carry only for me from now on.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    The HQL is not about speeding up the process, or making it more efficient. It is about stifling one's ability to purchase same.

Yes, it's about making purchasing a handgun too expensive for a certain segment of society. You will have to pay at least $100 just to get your fingerprints done, because this will be handled through private business (such as your FFL, or a place that just does fingerprinting) and NOT by the MSP. This is in addition to the rest of the licensing requirements.

I know it's ridiculous to complain about it as I am exempt from the training requirement and my fingerprints are already on file but they can kiss my ass. It's the principle of the issue. Buying a new handgun before the cutoff and after that....it's cash and carry only for me from now on.

That's what they want. The segment who CAN afford buying guns will stop because it's a pain in the ass. Nice for you but bad for gun stores who's business will suffer with that kind of attitude - exactly what they want. Maybe a few more FFLs will close down shop and quit the business or go to another state. Again - this is playing right into their hands.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

1) A Hunter Safety Course meets the training requirement according to the law. So it IS defined.

2) The law says previously owned a regulated firearm, not just a handgun. So if you have an AR or AK, you would exempt from the training.

3) If you are IN the military or ARE a LEO, or are Retired from the military or LEO, you are exempt from the HQL, not just the training. Former Military (not retired) are exempt from only the training.

mdbayboater

Nubie
    Jul 16, 2011
    Lake Shore, Maryland
    This is correct. It may be of interest to note, however, that those who establish Maryland residency for the first time after October 1 will be required to register all regulated firearms within 90 days of establishing residency, and pay a fee. The MSP has prepared a new form, designated 77D, for this purpose. The same requirement would apply to a current Maryland resident who moves away and loses legal residency, and then returns in the future to re-establish legal residency. This appears to be a straight registration requirement and does not require the HQL.

^^^ That right there is some funny sh!t. Who in their right mind would come back to this Communist State! Unless we get someone in office that has an ounce of common sense, Maryland is doomed. When I get my parole from this place I will NEVER return!!!

mdbayboater

Nubie
    Jul 16, 2011
    Lake Shore, Maryland
    Did anyone else read the financial report that went with SB281? They are counting on a large revenue from it.....

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2013RS/fnotes/bil_0001/sb0281.pdf

Of course they are...how else are the dems going to have the ability to buy their votes in future elections without paying "entitlements" to the "sick, lame and Lazy". The 40 new taxes may actually have to go towards the roads and infrastruture improvements since OweMalley has diverted that funding the entire time he has been in office!!!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008

At least until we get the injunctions against it. Probably no later than 1 November. There are several good grounds for the lawsuit. The obvious ones I see are:

1. Cost. It's been pointed out that if you are coming into this process without having previously bought a pistol, you're looking at aeveral hundred dollars worth of expenses. Even if you are a previous pistol owner, you're talking about $100 or so between the application fee and fingerprinting.
    2. Access. Those Livescan places are available in the I-95 axis...not so much in Western Maryland, Southern Maryland, or the Eastern Shore.
    3. Failure to comply with the requirement to issue within 30 days.

This is going to be entertaining. Particularly if we get a pro-2A President in 2016. Then we get to play Federal Civil Rights Charges. :-)

patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    Trying to read, and understand all this feel good legislation is very confusing. If I take my family members/ friends all are law abiding citizens to the range would they need an hql to use my gun? What if it has a 13 rnd mag?

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Trying to read, and understand all this feel good legislation is very confusing. If I take my family members/ friends all are law abiding citizens to the range would they need an hql to use my gun? What if it has a 13 rnd mag?

That's the type of question I still have. Can I take a friend to a range to introduce them to shooting and hand them my handguns to try? Is that considered a transfer (they receive a handgun) that requires an HQL? That would suck.

27 (O) “HANDGUN QUALIFICATION LICENSE” MEANS A LICENSE ISSUED BY
    28 THE SECRETARY THAT AUTHORIZES A PERSON TO PURCHASE, RENT, OR
    29 RECEIVE A HANDGUN.

1 A DEALER OR ANY OTHER PERSON MAY NOT SELL, RENT, OR
    2 TRANSFER A HANDGUN TO A PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR
    3 TRANSFEREE UNLESS THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE PRESENTS TO
    4 THE DEALER OR OTHER PERSON A VALID HANDGUN
    5 QUALIFICATION LICENSE ISSUED TO THE PURCHASER, LESSEE, OR TRANSFEREE
    6 BY THE SECRETARY UNDER THIS SECTION.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    They will not need a HQL to shoot your gun, only to purchase one. 13 round mags are still legal as long as they were purchased before Oct 1 or were purchased outside of MD if bought later.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    They will not need a HQL to shoot your gun, only to purchase one. 13 round mags are still legal as long as they were purchased before Oct 1 or were purchased outside of MD if bought later.

That's what I don't get, it is not a purchase license, it is a qualification license. If it was just to purchase as you mentioned above, why would they say in the bill 3 different things including, purchase, rent, or receive? Also that any person may not transfer to a receiver without the HQL?

Has there been an AG clarification or other policy letter on it yet?

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    That's what I don't get, it is not a purchase license, it is a qualification license. If it was just to purchase as you mentioned above, why would they say in the bill 3 different things including, purchase, rent, or receive? Also that any person may not transfer to a receiver without the HQL?

The HQL qualifies someone to purchase, rent, or receive a handgun via transfer. It is as simple as that. Don't overthink it.

Mr H

Banana'd

The name was more accurate when the bill required a lot more in the way of "state mandated approvables" (my term).

Once all the ultra-onerous stuff was cut out, it became more euphemistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom