• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK folks here are some pics of the parts I have so far for the build. Form 1 goes in this Sat at the latests.

lowerparts1.jpg

bumpstock1.jpg

I have a lot of the misc. parts like buffer tube and buffer srping and such, but thought that was not worth taking hpotos of.

Will post more pics as I get the parts. Let me know if you have any questions about this build. Loads of fun so far.

Dave

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Ok well here is a twist. I checked with RRA to see if they sold just the upper to their LAR-PDS pistol. I would love to have one of these on my 9mm Zombie lower.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=441&CFID=161127696&CFTOKEN=46177285&jsessionid=f030651576062a361a1e

Thing is they only sell the complete pistol and I cannot find out if this thing will work on a standard lower, but I really would like to find out. I think that upper on my zombie lower with a HK MP5 style collapsable stock shooting 9mm or 5.56 would rock.

Thoughts?

Dave

P.S. Still waiting for BATFE Form 1.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I really like the LP2113, but dang!
    $1500 is a bit more than I'd like to pay for an AR pistol.

Same here. It looks like the upper would fit on a standard AR lower. Looks sweet, but they said they do not sell them as parts. Only whole units. That sucks. If it fits on a standard lower I would LOVE one of those uppers.

Dave

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    ive got a question on the NFA side of this kind of build.

my brother is wants to do an SBR integrally suppressed 9mm AR when he moves in with his GF in VA soon(so no worries about trusts and MD CLEO BS) what im not clear about is would you need 2 sepereate tax stamps for the SBR and suppressor?

cause if you geta suppressed upper, i would assume you would then also need a SBR lower, or is there a way to get an SBR lower and just add a suppressed upper without having to get a 2nd stamp?

$400 extra and two sets of paper work plus dealer fees for both is enough to get ya to want to just stick with the 16" barrel and ear plugs.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Is the barrel over 16" long and the suppressor permanently mounted?

If yes to both then i "think" only the tax stamp for the suppressor would be needed as a 16" barrel or longer is not considered an SBR. Red Jacket Firearms sells a integral AR with a suppressor and the can is permanently attached and they say that only one stamp is needed for the can.

I would check with your local NFA dealer to be sure.

Dave

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    well thats what i mean, he wants to do it with a short barrel.

would you be able to just submit 1 form 1 and say on it that you're building a suppressed SBR?

if so would that allow you to then buy the suppressor engrave your lower and build the whole thing with just 1 tax stamp?

i guess i just dont see if there is a way to receive a suppressor without its own individual forms and stamp for use to build an integrally suppressed SBR.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    well thats what i mean, he wants to do it with a short barrel.

would you be able to just submit 1 form 1 and say on it that you're building a suppressed SBR?

if so would that allow you to then buy the suppressor engrave your lower and build the whole thing with just 1 tax stamp?

i guess i just dont see if there is a way to receive a suppressor without its own individual forms and stamp for use to build an integrally suppressed SBR.

You need to do 2 tax stamps if the suppressor can be removed from the barrel. One for the receiver to make it a SBR, and the other for the suppressor.

When you say integrally suppressed, do you mean that the suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel? (i.e. welded or pinned or part of the barrel itself). It the suppressor an barrel cannot come apart, and the length is > 16", you are OK with just a tax stamp for the suppressor.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    You need to do 2 tax stamps if the suppressor can be removed from the barrel. One for the receiver to make it a SBR, and the other for the suppressor.

When you say integrally suppressed, do you mean that the suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel? (i.e. welded or pinned or part of the barrel itself). It the suppressor an barrel cannot come apart, and the length is > 16", you are OK with just a tax stamp for the suppressor.

yes the suppressor cannot be removed from the barrel.

as i understand it 9mm AR uppers are recoil operated and so you can integrally suppress them along the length of the barrel.the barrel would be under 16" though.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    yes the suppressor cannot be removed from the barrel.

as i understand it 9mm AR uppers are recoil operated and so you can integrally suppress them along the length of the barrel.the barrel would be under 16" though.

Yep. 9mm AR's are a good platform for suppressing. If the barrel is under 16", you have a 2 tax stamp gun. If you are going that route, consider a barrel with a detachable suppressor, so you can use it on another host. I'm planning to do my AR with a Gemtech Multimount.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD

Yep thats what I meant! If he is building an SBR and wants to add a suppressor and the suppressor can be removed then he will need 2 stamps.

Thanks for clarifying.

Dave

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    even after exokaining it to him, i was surprised, he may still want to do both the integral suppressor and the SBR.

i gotta admit i dont blame him that would be one bad ass carbine.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Chaunsey said:
    even after exokaining it to him, i was surprised, he may still want to do both the integral suppressor and the SBR.

i gotta admit i dont blame him that would be one bad ass carbine.

To each his own. If you have have a free float fore-end that can house part of the suppressor it has that integrated look. Either way, I think the suppressed/SBR AR is tough to beat for fun.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    LOK here is a curious question. What would it take to build an AR pistol. Legal wise. If I get a pistol buffer tube and such, what would I have to do legally to own that AR as a pistol?

Could I put an SBR upper on that pistol build? Just curious. Was brought up in another Forum with no answer given.

Dave

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    Here is one to get your creative juices going.
    Runs like a well oiled sewing machine.

web.jpg

That sir is a very good looking rifle. One that will guide me on my next build.

Eddie Van

Dude
    Feb 4, 2011
    Hollywood Star Lanes
    LOK here is a curious question. What would it take to build an AR pistol. Legal wise. If I get a pistol buffer tube and such, what would I have to do legally to own that AR as a pistol?

Could I put an SBR upper on that pistol build? Just curious. Was brought up in another Forum with no answer given.

Dave

My understanding is that you can build an AR pistol if your lower was bought (i.e. forms portray) as "pistol" or "other". There's a good thread on this, see MarkP's post.....

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=51782

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Here is one to get your creative juices going.
    Runs like a well oiled sewing machine.

web.jpg

That sir is a very good looking rifle. One that will guide me on my next build.

That is so wrong. Making a grown man cry. I am here waiting nicely for my Form 1 to get in and my Suppressor to get manufactured and on a Form 4 so i can finish my build and you gotta go show something like that. :D

SWEET!!!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom