• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    I got mine yesterday....they were shipped to PA and I picked them us this AM. I emailed the owner first and in the notes i said that the it was approved to e sent to PA.

perhaps your address and CC addy didn't match

That's unusual. I've tried to order mags from CTD before with a WV shipping address, and was told no-go. They gave me the message that they couldn't sell 20+ round magazines to anyone with a MD billing adress; got a snide automated message recommending that I move to a more gun friendly state. FU, was my thought.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Meh with tapco. I tried one of my friend's mag in my arsenal and would not even fit. Never have this problem with steel comblocs. Ill stick with those thank you.

Grrrr

Nov 10, 2011
    waldorf md
    Guess it depends on the definition of "purchase".

Seems a lot of people do this, buy them online then ship to PA or other State, then go and collect them from a "friend".

Isn't the purchase/transaction taking place in MD though, while you're sat at home on your PC?

Regardless of where they are "shipped" or "collected/transferred", the purchase is taking place in MD, no?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just seems this topic starts a lot of flame wars, and as law abiding 2A supporters, we should be preaching the truth.

At least in an open forum, how you actually do it, is your own business.
    I believe that when purchasing online out of state the "purchase" technically takes place where the goods are being sold from.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Grrrr said:
    I believe that when purchasing online out of state the "purchase" technically takes place where the goods are being sold from.

And the transaction is complete when the goods are delivered.

Hence, no sales tax...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    By my recollection, transportation into Maryland and receipt of those items are prohibited as well as the purchase of. The law doesn't prohibit ownership as a grandfather to ownership prior to the code

Doesn't say anything about transportation. Transferring and transporting are two different things.

I have purchased dozens of high cap magazines out of the state, and have been to numerous ranges and no one has ever asked me to see a receipt. I've been called out for my SBR and suppressor once, at the NRA range but had copies of my tax stamps on hand and all was well.

We all know high cap mags are legal to possess. Don't split hairs, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum here.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Where in the definition says "possession" or "transporting into state"
    It doesn't, which is why I posted the code for clarification.

The purchase of a hi-cap magazine in Maryland is illegal and that is what is being admitted to here. It doesn't matter if you ordered it and had it shipped to a friend in PA; the act of purchase happened in MD. If you call your friend in PA and have them order for you, you solicited the sale from MD and again, that is illegal.

I'm just trying to give some people some advice to be sensitive to the laws and what they post online. You can drive out of state, make the purchase out of state and transport back into the state without violating 4-305 but you should be prepared to back up the details of those circumstances in the future.

And if anyone wants to split hairs, "transfer" is the word you need to worry about the interpretation of. It can mean the transfer from one owner to another AND transfer from one location to another. I'm guessing nobody has ever seen the way a prosecuting attorney will pile on charges in the hopes that something will stick or you'll plea out to a "deal". It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, it doesn't even have to be close.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

The purchase of a hi-cap magazine in Maryland is illegal and that is what is being admitted to here. It doesn't matter if you ordered it and had it shipped to a friend in PA; the act of purchase happened in MD. If you call your friend in PA and have them order for you, you solicited the sale from MD and again, that is illegal.

I'm just trying to give some people some advice to be sensitive to the laws and what they post online. You can drive out of state, make the purchase out of state and transport back into the state without violating 4-305 but you should be prepared to back up the details of those circumstances in the future.

And if anyone wants to split hairs, "transfer" is the word you need to worry about the interpretation of. It can mean the transfer from one owner to another AND transfer from one location to another. I'm guessing nobody has ever seen the way a prosecuting attorney will pile on charges in the hopes that something will stick or you'll plea out to a "deal". It doesn't have to be 100% accurate, it doesn't even have to be close.

I see what you saying and your interpretation....but I don't agree

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly

If you really want to split hairs when you purchase online you maybe physically in Maryland but the physical location of the store and IP address are from out of state. Also like inigoes said if you are buying it from in state where is the sales tax???

raff696

Nov 1, 2008
    $6.99 tapco ak mags! That's a good deal! I got mine from a place in Texas for 8 a piece.

You guys hem and haw about legality about hi cap laws. I think it's funny. Nobody is going to bother you unless A. You are stupid and admit some wrong doing or B. buy 100s of them and get on some ATF radar. Anyway the OP was just trying to let everyone know about a good deal.

Keep the legal opinions to the court room.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    If you really want to split hairs when you purchase online you maybe physically in Maryland but the physical location of the store and IP address are from out of state. Also like inigoes said if you are buying it from in state where is the sales tax???

You did receive them though didn't you?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Maryland's jurisdiction ends at it's border. ;)

Exactly. Once in your possession you are not transferring anything. Transport and transfer are two different things in legalese no matter how you want to interpret it. Plus where in the law is it illegal for possession? Remember in law if it is not specifically prohibited it is legal.

Also if the mags are purchased online in Maryland you can only receive them out-of-state thus bypassing Maryland completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom