• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • militiaman1791

a little trigger happy
    Jun 3, 2012
    pg county, baiden
    So I figured I would post my home defense shotgun and kinda get some opinions on it and see what I should get, etc.

557765_362717903770738_1293745882_n.jpg

Mossberg, Maverick 88, .12 gauge.

.Aimpoint m2 red dot sight
    .synthetic grip and collapsible m4 style stock
    .3 round shell holder
    .home defense barrel

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Your home defense shotgun has a fashionable yellow ribbon. I understand that you probably want to follow the letter of the law concerning firearm safety in the home but unless that lock is a quick release, you're defeating the purpose of home defense. Otherwise it looks formidable.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I had that stock on my mossberg 590 but found it worked against there ergonomics of the gun i.e. made the safety harder to reach so I went back to the standard stock.

I thought the yellow ribbon was to show you loved the intruder but they were still getting 00 buck anyway :)

militiaman1791

a little trigger happy
    Jun 3, 2012
    pg county, baiden
    The ribbon was on because that picture was the day I was bringing it home, it's off now. Thanks for the input guys! What do you think about a tri-rail on the end of the magazine tube for lasers,lights, etc.? I was also considering a 1 point bungee sling so it's easier to put the weapon aside without actually dropping it, what do you guys think?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    The ribbon was on because that picture was the day I was bringing it home, it's off now. Thanks for the input guys! What do you think about a tri-rail on the end of the magazine tube for lasers,lights, etc.? I was also considering a 1 point bungee sling so it's easier to put the weapon aside without actually dropping it, what do you guys think?

Less is more.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I would put a light on it.

I would take the aimpoint off and put it on another gun.

While the myth that shotguns do not need to be aimed is silly....I often doubt optics on a shotgun.

What is the longest hallway in your house? You might find it just as good to bring up your sights as mess with the red dot. If you have an awesome cheek weld and get on target fast and natural then it's a non issue.

militiaman1791

a little trigger happy
    Jun 3, 2012
    pg county, baiden
    The longest hallway in my house is probably 20-30 ft it has enough room for two bedrooms on each side. I was thinking at the very least adding the light but replacing the aimpoint with one of those holographic sights so it has less bulk.

Aug 2, 2007
    Harford County
    Less is more.

+2

I know the "cool" thing is to add a bunch of junk to your gun, but most of that crap is pointless at best and a hindrance at worst. With the Mossberg/Maverick style receiver a pistol-grip stock severely limits your ability to engage the slide-release which is a BAD thing. Ditch that entirely. If you want a more comfortable stock that allows a shorter LOP look at Hogue's traditional stock with a 12" LOP:

002xn.jpg

As you can see it is CONSIDERABLY shorter than the standard stock (14.5" LOP IIRC.) I have one on my 590A1 and it is a perfect fit.

The Aimpoint... pretty much pointless (har har) on a close-range defensive shotgun. Save for long-distance slug shots you will be better off with a bead sight.

I know the "tacti-cool" look is popular, but stick with what works...

rk7i35.jpg

Enough said?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    As the others said, ditch the optics and get a flashlight. The light is something that really might make a huge difference in HD. The optics are not necessary for this gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom