How to register suppressor without paperwork.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

firewall

Jul 25, 2011
    Odenton MD
    Ok here is the long story short. A friend works for a company that has to manage wildlife. 10 years ago they contacted an individual to make a suppressor for them. They received a suppressor to test out and see how they liked it. They paid for the suppressor and shortly after the company they purchased it from went out of business. This is a custom suppressor not like a Gemtech or surefire. It's by like jim bobs gun shop.

Here is the problem. Jump forward about 10 years. My friend is working for this company and finds out that they do not have an ATF stamp for the suppressor. What would be the process to register it since the original person they bought it from can not be found (again 10 years later). Which makes it difficult to fill out the form 4, they didn't make it so that scratches out the form 3.

Any thoughts or ideas. I called ATF and they lady was NO help.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not smart to call BATFE about an UNREGISTERED (To the Owner) Sound Suppressor. I would not be suprised if you got a knock from the local BATFE Office. SOmething about the story dosent sound right because no SOT is going to loan anythin to someone without an agent of the Corp/LLC present unless a form 3 or 4 is completed.

The Prison and Fines associated with this topic are not something to be taken lightly. HE SHOULD have been the one to call BATFE.

Best bet it for him to CHOP IT length wise and cross ways, in many pieces.

firewall

Jul 25, 2011
    Odenton MD
    Sounds fishy but it is not. The reason why he told me and I called is because I am a federal officer. I already looked into everything they have and it is accurate. They do have a bill of sale for the suppressor, but it doesn't have any information that specifies that specific one. (No suppressor serial number on the bill of sale). It was a face to face transfer in Georgia. The paperwork was supposed to be filled by the manufacturer to the trust. ATF doesn't have any paperwork (form 1) from the manufacturer saying he even built it. So naturally you can't have a form 4 transfer without a form 1 saying it was made.

It is always funny that people believe that by doing the right thing you will get a "knock on the door". Like it is a bad thing. And destroying a perfectly good suppressor is not an option.

This can not be the first time this situation has ever happened.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sounds fishy but it is not. The reason why he told me and I called is because I am a federal officer. I already looked into everything they have and it is accurate. They do have a bill of sale for the suppressor, but it doesn't have any information that specifies that specific one. (No suppressor serial number on the bill of sale). It was a face to face transfer in Georgia. The paperwork was supposed to be filled by the manufacturer to the trust. ATF doesn't have any paperwork (form 1) from the manufacturer saying he even built it. So naturally you can't have a form 4 transfer without a form 1 saying it was made.

It is always funny that people believe that by doing the right thing you will get a "knock on the door". Like it is a bad thing. And destroying a perfectly good suppressor is not an option.

Perhaps it works differently if you are a fed, but there is no recourse for civilians who are in possession of an unregistered NFA item. We have to keep a copy of a stamp with us at all times. We cannot have possession of the item without the stamp.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    And destroying a perfectly good suppressor is not an option.

Seriously? You want to keep a $1,000 (at very most) piece of pipe and risk 10 years in jail and a $250,000 fine? Explain why, exactly, destroying the can is not an option.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

You asked, you got an answer. Being a Federal Officer does not save you from being questioned about your knowledge of this situation. You willing to lose a pension/retirement to cover for someone who dosent want to chop up an ILLEGAL $700.00 Suppressor?

I know many people that were RUINED by having items you describe. The Bill of Sale means nothing except helping BATFE prosecute (Its evidence). Ignorance will not save your friend if he is caught.

There is NO WAY to remedy this situation legally beneficial for your friend. Destroying the Suppressor is the only option unless paying 10K for a defense is worth keeping a $70.00 chunk of steel.

Last edited:

firewall

Jul 25, 2011
    Odenton MD
    You asked, you got an answer. Being a Federal Officer does not save you from being questioned about your knowledge of this situation. You willing to lose a pension/retirement to cover for someone who dosent want to chop up an ILLEGAL $700.00 Suppressor?

I know many people that were RUINED by having items you describe. The Bill of Sale means nothing except helping BATFE prosecute (Its evidence). Ignorance will not save your friend if he is caught.

There is NO WAY to remedy this situation legally beneficial for your friend. Destroying the Suppressor is the only option unless paying 10K for a defense is worth keeping a $70.00 chunk of steel. :sad20:

So because you don't have an answer to the problem you assume that destroying the suppressor is the only option. Then you justify destroying the can by the cost value associated by penalty. When it could be as simple as one form that needs to be filled out that you just don't know about but someone else on here may.

That is why there is no need to destroy a perfectly good can at this point.

And yes I did ask and I got your answer that doesn't mean yours is the only answer.

I like how you assume that I will loose anything in this. I do not posses the can.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So because you don't have an answer to the problem you assume that destroying the suppressor is the only option. Then you justify destroying the can by the cost value associated by penalty. When it could be as simple as one form that needs to be filled out that you just don't know about but someone else on here may.

It's usually not that simple. You cannot possess it without the stamp. You don't have the stamp, it is illegal. Period. There is no ex post facto form. Do you have a risk management department? Call them. Why would you ask a bunch of civilians what a federal officer should do with an unregistered suppressor, anyway? Let us know how it turns out.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

And yes I did ask and I got your answer that doesn't mean yours is the only answer.

I like how you assume that I will loose anything in this. I do not posses the can.

You cant make a previously manufactured NFA device LEGAL unless you are a LEO Agency (For OFICIAL USE), or Museum. They have forms for that.

Roll the dice as you wish, I listed the only LEGAL options. The rest are not legal.

lasher9999

May 31, 2010
    Jacksonville, md

Sounds like you got an answer that you don't like. I don't think there is a magic bullet to make a ten year old crime go away. Perhaps there was no ill intent, but the law was not complied with. Out of curiosity, what kind of federal officer are you?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It's usually not that simple. You cannot possess it without the stamp. You don't have the stamp, it is illegal. Period. There is no ex post facto form. Do you have a risk management department? Call them. Why would you ask a bunch of civilians what a federal officer should do with an unregistered suppressor, anyway? Let us know how it turns out.

I have a feeling we are being trolled. I have NEVER dealt with a LEO that talks about breaking Federal Law in this manner, especially on an open forum.

Im as big of a LEO supporter and any non LEO on this board but Im not too peachy on this situation.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Firewall, I'm not sure you're understanding the gravity of the situation. If there is no paperwork for the suppressor, THERE IS NO ANSWER to give you. It is an illegal NFA item. It can not be legally registered, or legally owned, period. There is no legal recourse save for destroying it. So your friend will either illegally possess it, or destroy it, those are the only 2 choices.

-Jim

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY

No doubt it is not the first time and no doubt they never end well.

As a Federal Officer you now have first-hand knowledge of an illegal situation. As Chad and others said, consider the consequences to yourself - and to your family.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    There is no legal way to get out of this and keep the can. Sorry. You asked, and that is the answer.

There is an illegal way to get it registered... and you would probably get away with it if you tried. I suspect almost anyone here who is familiar with NFA paperwork also knows the answer. That said, I will never advise someone on how to break the law, nor will any other person here if they have half a brain.

I think this thread should be closed because, at this point, you are asking for advice on how to break the law.

firewall

Jul 25, 2011
    Odenton MD
    Sounds like you got an answer that you don't like. I don't think there is a magic bullet to make a ten year old crime go away. Perhaps there was no ill intent, but the law was not complied with. Out of curiosity, what kind of federal officer are you?

It's not that I got and answer I don't like, the result will not affect me in the least. It's that I am waiting to see if their is another possible answer before calling up my friend and telling him to destroy something that his company paid for. Again it could be as simple as someone knows the form that needs to be filled out legally, and that person hasn't read this thread yet.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    It's not that I got and answer I don't like, the result will not affect me in the least. It's that I am waiting to see if their is another possible answer before calling up my friend and telling him to destroy something that his company paid for. Again it could be as simple as someone knows the form that needs to be filled out legally, and that person hasn't read this thread yet.
    That person will never answer in this thread, he doesn't exist. There is no legal recourse.

-Jim

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom