• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    Hi all,

I'm debating which HBAR to get - it's between a Colt 6721, Colt 6601 Target, or Windham HBC. The question is, how hard is changing the butt stock out? I like the carbines, but wonder if the 6 pos stock will be too short (I'm 6'2"). Are these easy to swap out if I get the carbine?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you're buying the carbine and decide a fixed stock is more comfortable, hardest part of swapping stocks/buffer setup is breaking the factory castle nut loose.

With a stock wrench, it's just a few short minutes. Without the wrench, it can be done, but it'll take longer.

**And not mangling the safety detent spring when doing all that.

Feb 28, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm debating which HBAR to get - it's between a Colt 6721, Colt 6601 Target, or Windham HBC. The question is, how hard is changing the butt stock out? I like the carbines, but wonder if the 6 pos stock will be too short (I'm 6'2"). Are these easy to swap out if I get the carbine?

I'm about that tall, and the collapsables work alright for me.

Wait 'til you git it, then worry about that.:)

But I kinda doubt it will be an issue.

hutchinsonkw

Dec 18, 2012
    Central Md
    I am 6ft, 6'1" and do not think 6 position stocks are too short. I actually prefer a shorter stock on an ar. But like others said. If you have a wrench it is easy I do.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I am 6ft, 6'1" and do not think 6 position stocks are too short. I actually prefer a shorter stock on an ar. But like others said. If you have a wrench it is easy I do.

I'm around your height and have never had an issue with the LOP on a carbine.

The VTLOR stock is a smidge longer than others such as the MAGPUL CTR and the SOPMOD.

Something else to consider is which optic you intend to use. Some 1-4x power scopes like the Burris and VORTEX PST have eye boxes that require you be in a notch or two from full extension. Also, if you want an ACOG, it is going to have you tucked in significantly more...

The standard A2 stock actually fits me surprisingly well.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    We have Windham HBCs with magpul STR stocks installed as well as standard configuration. The STR locks up much tighter and has a longer max LOP.

Up_in_BoCo

Dedicated plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    HZ
    I'm 6'5 and have a Windham HBC.

The 6 pos stock works great for me.
    In fact I only use it on full extension when bench shooting.

Swapped the butt stock, different color, and it was very easy.
    Changing the buffer tube gets a touch more complicated, failed the first time I did that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom