• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    NRA BASIC PISTOL INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION CLASS
    MARYLAND STATE POLICE CERTIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR

As announced at MSI’s Annual Meeting, we are looking to train and certify competent handgun instructors.

Time is very short to seize this discounted opportunity. You must meet the requirements before the beginning of class, and you must register for the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor Class today, by 1600, in order to get the discounted registration price. If you can’t register today, don’t worry, you can still register for an open seat later, but it will cost $20 more. The reason is that we have to order textbooks today to receive them in time without incurring additional overnight shipping charges. You can always take any other NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course at a later date.

In summary, to be certified as a NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, must satisfy the requirements of the NRA INSTRUCTOR TRAINING PROGRAM PRE-COURSE QUALIFICATION – PISTOL. The best way to do this is to successfully complete the NRA Basic Pistol Course. However, if you have acceptable Military, LEO or equivalent training, the instructor may allow you to complete the pre-course assessment and register for the instructor course.

Once you have NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, you can apply to the Maryland State Police (no fee or fingerprinting required) to become certified as a Maryland State Police Qualified Handgun Instructor. Once you are certified by the Maryland State Police, you can assist us in our efforts to bring the MD HQL & Wear & Carry Course to responsible citizens, in underserved areas, on a wide scale. That is our goal.

Processing of your NRA certifications is almost instant if you are a current NRA member and furnish your NRA ID#. If you want to join or renew your NRA membership. Click here. If you are not and/or do not want to join the NRA, contact the NRA at 800‐672‐3888 prior to class to request a NRA Non-Member Training ID# to speed processing and recording of your certification.

NRA BASIC INSTRUCTOR TRAINING (BIT)
    Thursday, October 2, 2014, 6:30P – 10P
    Friday, October 3, 2014, 6:30P – 10P
    Frederick MD IWLA
    Cost: $50
    Note: If you have successfully completed a NRA BIT course within the last two years, you do not need to pay for, or attend this class.
    Register for both NRA BIT & NRA Basic Pistol on the same form, here

NRA BASIC PISTOL INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION CLASS
    Saturday October 4, 2014, 8A–5P
    Frederick MD IWLA
    Requirements: NRA BIT within the last two years
    Cost: $100 ($80 if registered before 4PM on 9/22/2014)
    Register for both NRA BIT & NRA Basic Pistol on the same form, here

To qualify as an NRA Instructor:
    •Candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training and/or previous shooting experience. Instructor candidates must be intimately familiar with each action type in the discipline they wish to be certified (Successful completion of the NRA Basic Pistol is one way to satisfy this requirement).
    •Candidates will be required to demonstrate solid and safe firearms handling skills required to be successful during an instructor training course by completing pre-course questionnaires and qualification exercises administered by the NRA Appointed Training Counselor.
    •Candidates must satisfactorily complete an NRA Instructor Training Course in the discipline they wish to teach (e.g., NRA Basic Pistol Course), and receive the endorsement of the NRA Training Counselor conducting that training.

Where can I find an NRA Basic Pistol Course?
    · Find a scheduled course at www.nrainstructors.org
    · Find a scheduled course on Maryland Shooters Training Forum or Calendar
    · Ask a MDS IP or any NRA Training Councilor to coordinate or schedule a course for you

MARYLAND STATE POLICE QUALIFIED HANDGUN INSTRUCTOR
    Qualified Handgun Instructors are responsible for qualifying students for Handgun Qualification Licenses and Handgun Carry Permits. Instructors whose courses fail to meet minimum standards and who improperly certify applicants shall have their Qualified Handgun Instructor status revoked.
    Effective October 1, 2013, a Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor is defined as a person whom the Maryland State Police has confirmed as being certified by either the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions or a nationally recognized firearms organization (i.e. NRA) as a firearm instructor. A Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor may instruct Handgun Qualification License applicants and Handgun Wear and Carry Permit applicants.

A list of Qualified Handgun Instructors is available online here. A NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor can apply to become a Maryland State Police Certified Qualified Handgun Instructor online here. By providing demographic information, instructor directory information (if desired) and their NRA Instructor ID# and course completion information.

Another benefit is that Maryland State Police Certified Qualified Handgun Instructors are currently exempt from Maryland Handgun Permit 16 hour new application & 8 hour renewal application training requirements.

If you have any questions, please post them and I am sure regulars or myself will be able to answer them.

View attachment NRA INSTRUCTOR TRAINING PROGRAM PRE-COURSE QUALIFICATION – PISTOL.pdf

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    A Southern Maryland course has been suggested, but there are no plans. An AGC course with Mike B. might be a good option for you.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    A Southern Maryland course has been suggested, but there are no plans. An AGC course with Mike B. might be a good option for you.

Thanks for the plug!

I just finished up one last month. I will probably offer one again in November along with an RSO class.

If I could find a sponsoring range in Southern MD I would offer the class there. I don't mind the drive. Alternatively I could try to find a classroom or meeting room in Southern MD and use the range facilities at Myrtle Grove.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    Thanks for the plug!

I just finished up one last month. I will probably offer one again in November along with an RSO class.

If I could find a sponsoring range in Southern MD I would offer the class there. I don't mind the drive. Alternatively I could try to find a classroom or meeting room in Southern MD and use the range facilities at Myrtle Grove.
    Great timing, was just viewing the website and put two and two two gether.

PM inbound...

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Someone wrote me that they heard you can't apply for Maryland State Police Qualified Pistol Instructor Certification until you have one year of experience.

That is false, and likely attributed to failure to stay current, or to comprehend new laws and regulations.

Please refer to the following;

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...tion/Training/QualifiedHandgunInstructor.aspx

NRO means nationally recognized organization for firearms training, of which I believe there are currently two. The premier organization being the NRA.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Someone wrote me that they heard you can't apply for Maryland State Police Qualified Pistol Instructor Certification until you have one year of experience.

That is false, and likely attributed to failure to stay current, or to comprehend new laws and regulations.

Please refer to the following;

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...tion/Training/QualifiedHandgunInstructor.aspx

NRO means nationally recognized organization for firearms training, of which I believe there are currently two. The premier organization being the NRA.
    I think the confusion comes from this page - https://emdsp.mdsp.org/egov/Login.aspx.

• Qualified Handgun Instructor Any questions or concerns relating to this program, please contact the Handgun Permit Section at 410-653-4577 or by e-mail: MSP.HandgunPermits@maryland.gov
      • Nationally Recognized Firearms Organizations, the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission, and Maryland State Police Instructors may register to teach any of the following firearms courses. If you are an approved instructor with more than one year experience from an organization not listed you may submit an application for Maryland State Police Firearms Instructor Certification.(Click HERE for Details)

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    There is no requirement under law AFAIK for one year of experience for CERTIFIED QUALIFIED, but I will review the statutes and COMAR tomorrow, just to be sure and report back before lunch.

There is a one year experience requirement for CERTIFIED LICENSED AFAIK, but that is not relevant to this really.

As you know, just because it's on MSP's website, doesn't make it a law, or even a true statement.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    There is no requirement under law AFAIK for one year of experience for CERTIFIED QUALIFIED, but I will review the statutes and COMAR tomorrow just to be sure.

There is a one year experience requirement for CERTIFIED LICENSED AFAIK, but that is not relevant to this really.

As you know, just because it's on MSP's website, doesn't make it a law, or even a true statement.
    Was not attempting to be argumentative...merely pointing out a potential source of "error" (whose error is not for me to judge).

Since I cannot participate due to dates, and am too late to leverage my RSO to join the ranks, I will bow out at this point.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You are correct, it does not apply here as this course is from a recognized national organization. The 1 year prerequisite is for those with certifications from organizations that ARE NOT listed.

Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Any questions or concerns relating to this program, please contact the Handgun Permit Section at 410-653-4577 or by e-mail: MSP.HandgunPermits@maryland.gov

Nationally Recognized Firearms Organizations, the Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commission, and Maryland State Police Instructors may register to teach any of the following firearms courses. If you are an approved instructor with more than one year experience from an organization not listed you may submit an application for Maryland State Police Firearms Instructor Certification.(

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Someone writes, "Do I need to take NRA BIT if I take NRA Basic Pistol?"

Unless you already have successfully completed NRA’s Basic Instructor Training (BIT), you will need to attend all three days (10/2, 10/3 & 10/4).

· NRA Basic Pistol teaches you basic pistol skills and confirms knowledge transfer.
    · NRA Basic Instructor Training (BIT) teaches you how to teach using NRA methods.
    · NRA Basic Pistol Instructor prepares you to teach the NRA Basic Pistol Course curriculum and evaluates your teaching and shooting skills relevant to handguns.

If you want to take NRA Basic Rifle Instructor, or NRA Basic Personal Protection Outside the Home Instructor Courses, you will not need to repeat the NRA BIT course, because it is applicable to all disciplines.

Gambler

¿Got Freedom?
    Oct 30, 2011
    Parkville
    I talked with CypherPunk at the MSI meeting, and I will be running a Basic Pistol course (the prereq for this Instructor course) this Saturday for those interested, see this thread.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ive taken class with cypher and iwl of fred. nothing but great crew! if you have the time...its a great class.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom