How is the ban on Russian AKs going to affect long term AK prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    So as some of you saw in my other thread I wanted to get an SKS. Since this is out of the question I figured it might be time to build the AK receiver I bought before the ban. I loaded a bookmark I had made of a polish AK parts group, the price has gone from 300 to 600.

I assume a lot of people are hoarding AK stuff since importation of Russian AKs was banned. I was curious if this ban is a permanent thing or if it's temporary. Is the price of AKs only going to go up or do you guys think it will come down eventually?

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Diane Feinstein, of all people, is calling POTUS too cautious and Putin is finding his policy of denying an invasion is working just as he planned. The Ukraine crisis grinds on until Putin has conquered as much of the Ukraine as he wants and the rest of the world pretends that will be the last of it.

After that, Obama, who has discovered that he had the power to ban a bunch of guns has no incentive to lift the ban. He may not extend the ban to Poland, Hungary and Romania, as they are now potential allies. The influx of guns and parts from those countries will eventually bring down AK prices for non Ruskie piece.

In the meantime gun owners and traders will do what they do best....hoard and price gouge.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    Diane Feinstein, of all people, is calling POTUS too cautious and Putin is finding his policy of denying an invasion is working just as he planned. The Ukraine crisis grinds on until Putin has conquered as much of the Ukraine as he wants and the rest of the world pretends that will be the last of it.

After that, Obama, who has discovered that he had the power to ban a bunch of guns has no incentive to lift the ban. He may not extend the ban to Poland, Hungary and Romania, as they are now potential allies. The influx of guns and parts from those countries will eventually bring down AK prices for non Ruskie piece.

In the meantime gun owners and traders will do what they do best....hoard and price gouge.

Just curious, can't russia channel their guns through eastern European countries?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Just curious, can't russia channel their guns through eastern European countries?

Since the current sanctions aren't specifically a ban on Russian firearms, but a ban on creating new debt with named companies that produce said firearms, there could feasibly be a legal workaround through an intermediary.

There's a statute governing exports by way of an intermediary country that has a time limitation attached to it (I think it's 7 years, but don't quote me on that). In other words, the intermediary would have to by a ton of small arms and store them in a warehouse for several years, until they can re-sell. But Bulgaria, Romania, or Yugoslavia would prefer to move their own product now than take a risk on re-selling Russian rifles with a payoff that's years out and not guaranteed. Parts kits and magazines have been moved this way but I'm not aware of it being done with new production rifles given the risk involved.

If the sanctions are never lifted, and relations warmed, The Kalashnikov Concern could feasibly just change its name/ownership on paper to get around the existing wording. Or re-sell through an intermediary in Russia. But as long as things remain frosty it's very easy for the Treasury to update the sanctions to ban the "new" company. And there may be a blanket ban passed if Putin continues to give the rest of the free world the finger in Ukraine.

TL: DR it's unlikely we'll be seeing Russian AKs in the near future and this has every sign of being extended permanently, like the Chinese ban. Based on scarcity, Russian AKs will go up in price vs Bulgarian. More disturbingly, the lack of a real competitor to Arsenal of Bulgaria means the prices on Bulgarians will rise as well.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I agree with Rob. This EO will hang around for eternity, just like the Chinese ban from the clinton era and the 89 Bush I ban

Feb 28, 2013
    Any one of these that results in a de facto firearms ban of some type isn't likely to go anywhere. If we're aware of it, chances are Sen. Frankenfeinstein is aware of it too. :mad54:

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I think it will come down. We aren't losing all AKs. There are a lot of other places to buy AKs from and domestic production is slowly getting better, too.

When something like this happens - it triggers a wave of panic buying by people who don't understand how many other countries sell AKs and by shrewd investors who are looking to buy a Russian AK just because they believe they will become sought after collector's items in the future.

Your parts kit is just collateral damage from all that. Wait on it.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    OP you can still get $300 Polish kits.

http://armsofamerica.com/partskits-2.aspx

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-accessories/polish-ak47-parts-kit-fixed-stock-detail.html?Itemid=0

http://whatacountry.com/polish-akm-ak-parts-kit-fixed-stock.aspx

The non-Russian stock market hasn't changed much. Yugo N-paps, O-paps are still floating around $520 - $550. WASRs are still $500 - $520. Bulgy parts kits are still about $260 -$350, etc.

If the sanctions stay in place long term, then I'd look to the Chinese situation (meaning decent prices on everything else non-banned during non-panic periods).

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Yep, Saigas were great deals, great value. Losing those hurt.

Combloc barrels really are the sore spot. Prices on them never really came down again after 2012.

Started collecting a few extra a short while back (for kits that won’t be built for years). Tapped out when they started hitting $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom