• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You guys have made me realize I'm wasting a wonderful resource at work. I'm at a pharmacy, and on truck days, I probably throw more than 100+ of those little desiccant things away, I'm gonna start saving them, and throw them in my ammo cans.

These comes from zerox toners

Attachments

• 2012-03-19_10-06-58_543.jpg
      2012-03-19_10-06-58_543.jpg
      60.1 KB · Views: 353

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    I buy ammo in calibers I will shoot. I have found that buying ammo when there is a good deal on what you want works a lot better than trying to buy ammo when you want to go shooting.
    So many times when we have money for ammo we do not have time to shoot. When we have time to go shooting we do not always have money for ammo, or the extra time to shop around for it.

Gun Types/Actions & Purposes and Ammunition Inventory are specific to the person, as shooter who’s all over the board when it comes to my toys; I try to first break out my stuff in categories and track accordingly. My go to guns “getting bummed rushed by Zombies” and ammunition are my first priority and I don’t skimp … I reload, but if I purchase its done in bulk and quality. I maintain a gazillion rounds of 22LR it’s cheap and effective for a verity of purposes. Try the following links they may assist you in getting organized.
    Keep Your Powder Dry,
    Geeks with Guns Online
    http://shotworkspro.com/AmmunitionInventory
    PDF Format:
    http://www.geekswithgunsonline.com/Guns & Ammo Tracker.pdf

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    You guys have made me realize I'm wasting a wonderful resource at work. I'm at a pharmacy, and on truck days, I probably throw more than 100+ of those little desiccant things away, I'm gonna start saving them, and throw them in my ammo cans.
    good idea your lucky I just pull a few at a shoe store when i need them:innocent0

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Walmart Cockeysville has alot of ammo! .223 and 7.62x39!!!

I picked up 200 .223 steel cased and 40 7.62x39. Both priced at 4.95 a box. I also got a 50 rd box or 45acp. I need more of every type mag to load up my ammo.

Question: ive never shot wadcutter through my 1911, and that's what the WWB ammo that I got is. Didn't realize it til I got home. Is wadcutter as reliable in a 1911? Because if not I'll get some ball for SHTF and keep the wadcutter for practice.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I picked up 200 .223 steel cased and 40 7.62x39. Both priced at 4.95 a box. I also got a 50 rd box or 45acp. I need more of every type mag to load up my ammo.

Question: ive never shot wadcutter through my 1911, and that's what the WWB ammo that I got is. Didn't realize it til I got home. Is wadcutter as reliable in a 1911? Because if not I'll get some ball for SHTF and keep the wadcutter for practice.

Only YOUR 1911 will know if it will feed wadcutters. Are you sure they're wadcutters and not semi-wadcutters? I think you have an excuse to buy a S&W 625 now :innocent0

BLACKTALON

Ammo is like food
    Aug 4, 2011
    severna park
    I need more ammo cans. I snagged a huge 20mm can at the Chantilly show, but it was impossible to get more cans since I was by myself with no cart. Getting stuff then schlepping it out to the truck on the other side of the parking lot then coming back isn't going to work if you have time constraints.

i use a fold up hand truck that fits in a back pack

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008

Standard answer:

1911s are designed with FMJ ball in mind.

As ammo has evolved, 1911s have as well. They also started using different magazine followers depending on the type of ammo being fed. What kind of 1911 do you have and are they true wadcutters or semi-wadcutter? Also, check and see if your 1911 will chamber a spent piece of brass. Apparently that's some kind of litmus test for feeding reliability.

In the end, I'm some guy on the internet repeating other things I've read on the internet. Take it with a grain of salt :thumbsup:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    It's a RIA GI with a polished feed ramp an upgraded spring. Fed everything perfectly. Ball, hollow, all of if. Thanks I'll try that spent casing test! I'll use this as target ammo to be sure they feed ok. Info is much appreciated guys! I'll let you know what kinda wadcutters they are.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Testing that 45 ball ammo tomorrow.

I'm at about 500+ 5.56 and 550+ 7.63x39!!! Finally feeling almost respectable...almost. That's non shoot able ammo, I'll never borrow from this stash, I'll just keep adding to it. Need more of everything. Going to stock up on 12 gauge, .40, 45acp, 30-06, 8mm. I have a few hundred 8mm but I want more. Is it still pretty cheap?

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.

I should be at about 5000+ 5.56 and 5500+ 7.63x39!!! Finally feeling almost respectable...almost. That's non shoot able ammo, I'll never borrow from this stash, I'll just keep adding to it. Need more of everything. Going to stock up on 12 gauge, .40, 45acp, 30-06, 8mm. I have a few hundred 8mm but I want more. Is it still pretty cheap?

Fixed it for ya! :innocent0

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I'm at about 500+ 5.56 and 550+ 7.63x39!!! Finally feeling almost respectable...almost. That's non shoot able ammo, I'll never borrow from this stash, I'll just keep adding to it. Need more of everything. Going to stock up on 12 gauge, .40, 45acp, 30-06, 8mm. I have a few hundred 8mm but I want more. Is it still pretty cheap?

I checked a few days ago, everyone is out of the cheap Yugo stuff :sad20: Of course I just sent money for an 8mm Czech Mauser, so of course no one has any. I didn't realize the Dale City Gun Show was this past weekend even though I live 1/2 mile away from it until it closed on Sunday :rolleyes:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Damn! I love shooting the Mauser, it's been over a year for that and the Garand.

One thing, I'll never use Greek 8mm again. I got some years ago, and the primers were so tough, it would take 2 and three strikes to ignite, and I'd have some hang fires. Really crappy ammo. Not sure if it was corrosive but I sure cleaned like it was. I ended up pulling the bullets and using the powder for fireworks.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Damn! I love shooting the Mauser, it's been over a year for that and the Garand.

One thing, I'll never use Greek 8mm again. I got some years ago, and the primers were so tough, it would take 2 and three strikes to ignite, and I'd have some hang fires. Really crappy ammo. Not sure if it was corrosive but I sure cleaned like it was. I ended up pulling the bullets and using the powder for fireworks.

What did you do with the brass? I know Greek 30-06 ammo is boxer primed, since I just decapped about 200 or them.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Raked it into the barrels. I actually now think it might not have been Greek. What other countries made tons of 8mm?

Got alot done today. The 1911 ran perfectly with Winchester and federal hollow points, the WWB wadcutters worked great. Shot a personal best today with the Glock, using Tula ammo! Odd. But I love it.

Does anyone else have trouble shooting a Glock with other pistols? After I shoot my Glock I have trouble with the 1911. I guess because of the Glock trigger.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Turkey, Germany, Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, maybe Sweden or Norway.

forgot to add i picked up 2 more boxes of .223 today.

it was either turkish or greek. now that you mention it, i think turkish. what stamp do they have? ill dig out one of the old rounds. i kept em around so i know what not to buy, (could have just been the batch)

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    Raked it into the barrels. I actually now think it might not have been Greek. What other countries made tons of 8mm?

Got alot done today. The 1911 ran perfectly with Winchester and federal hollow points, the WWB wadcutters worked great. Shot a personal best today with the Glock, using Tula ammo! Odd. But I love it.

Does anyone else have trouble shooting a Glock with other pistols? After I shoot my Glock I have trouble with the 1911. I guess because of the Glock trigger.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Tula ammo. They have to be doing something right to sell as much as they do. And yes, I use a lot of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom