• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I know, this has been done to death before. My apologies.

But with Black Friday coming, it's going to be possible now (or will be next week) to get the nice basic autoloader .22 from each of these brands for $200 or less. I'm hoping to snag one for a range toy and casual plinking, maybe the local rimfire league at my IWLA chapter.

So I need to find someplace where I can handle and compare each, and get more opinions.

Ruger 10/22 - my first inclination
    Savage Mark II - also has a great reputation
    Marlin 795 - seems comparable from what I find

So there we are. It'll probably come down to what feels best on my shoulder, but it's always fun to hear what people have to say.

And if we have any IPs who want to price match or can come close, I'd pay a bit of a premium to give them some business. (A-1, United, other folks?)

Anyway, back to work. The coffee's ready.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Mark ii is a bolt action, so you may want to look at the 64 model series in Savage if an auto loader is what you need. But, the mark ii is stupid accurate for the money if you can live with bolt action.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Gotta' go with your heart, not your wallet, so much. You will never regret a Ruger 10/22. But you'll always wish you got one, if you don't.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I'm going against the grain here. About $100 difference with the 795 on sale at Bass Pro. Accuracy edge to the Marlin over the 10/22 as well. Only place where 10/22 is above the Marlin is in accessories.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Marlin 795. I got a bass pro flyer shows it for $130 ( not sure if it's Black Friday, may actually be current price). Love it. Eats anything. Finally cleaned it after firing over 2k rounds. Only FTF have been ammo issues, and those probably number less than a dozen.

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    10-22. I was advised anyone should have this one gun in their collection. Like an Remington 870-Mossberg 500, it just should be in the collection.

a81lp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 15, 2008
    marlin model 60's are nice too, and cheaper than the 10/22....but the correct answer is buy both

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    fit and finish on the Marlin, not as good as the Ruger. Ruger holds its value better. 2 years ago the Ruger 10/22 and the 795 were about $40 apart or less. Not anymore.
    unmodified, the Marlin I've found to be more accurate, but not by much.
    Marlin has a dovetail mount for a scope and getting rings to clamp on that can be painful (I've found that to be the case on mine). I can't recall if a 10/22 comes with a Weaver mount but I know you can get one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do you want a decent out of the box rifle, or a starting point to replace everything except the action with aftermarket parts ?

The Marlin is a good , accurate rifle from the box. The price is substantly lower than a 10/22. The weakest link is the trigger. The 10/22 has a metric crapload of aftermarket parts and accesories.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I'm not really looking for a project gun to go swapping out everything under the sun, so that part of the 10/22 experience would be wasted on me.

Just a decently accurate, fun plinker to punch holes at 50 and 100 yards with. Bolt or semi is fine, but I saw that Bass Pro ad for the Marlin at $130 this week and it got me thinking...

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    You would probably be happy with any of those. Try them out and see which one you like best for the price. Can't go wrong!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you don't have at least one 10/22, you need to turn in your man card. :)

10/22 for semi auto, Savage for bolt.

Marlin is nice, but they are not, IMO, in the same class as the Ruger or Savage.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    If you don't have at least one 10/22, you need to turn in your man card. :)

10/22 for semi auto, Savage for bolt.

Marlin is nice, but they are not, IMO, in the same class as the Ruger or Savage.

Don't results count?

Attachments

• Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      Marlin M25 20140622.jpg
      63.7 KB · Views: 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver