• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • We need our chimney re-pointed because some mortar is missing. This was pointed out by our home inspector when we were buying the house several years ago. The itch to use the fireplace now has us shopping for prices.
    Do any members work on chimneys?

Ganegrei

Comblock Convert
    Jun 23, 2011
    Somewhere in BoCo
    McDowells Complete Chimney Service.

http://www.mcdowellschimney.com/

They did a complete rebuild of my chimney back in September. Grinding, pointing, masonry, etc. They did just a great job.

The owner is a retired firefighter. He even came out to meet me while the laborers were there just because I was a new customer.

G20

Feb 18, 2013
    The best course of action is the following...

Re-do the crown - this is likely why the mortar joints are washing out.

Then point-up the mortar joints.

Scrape loose paint off chimney as best you can-preferrably remove all paint. If the existing paint is peeling, it likely means it was not done properly (water sealed, dry-out, primed, then painted).

Then apply a water seal and let the brick and mortar joints dry-out for a week or so before applying a coat of primer. If you do not, you will trap all of that water that is sitting in the brick and motor joints and through the course of several freezing and thawing cycles your brick may begin to spall.

Prime, then paint.

deisel818

Nov 23, 2012
    Harford County
    If you just need the masonry pointed up I can give you a hand. The cap being reset/replaced is probably not a bad idea either. Do you know what type of chimney liner you have by chance? My office is located in Baltimore so I'm not that far from you if you need assistance looking over the situation.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    There is a chimney supply shop on Howard ave in Kensington . They have in a 5gal buckets of what looks like a masonry calk that will do a flexable crown on the chimney . That with a trawl and a ladder to get to it will be all you need to do to fix it. At this point you might want to look at the cap as well . 2 hours top time involved .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom