• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marlboroman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    I've noticed lately as I'm sure everyone has that 22 is hard to come by and when you find they limit you to maybe 15 minutes at a range if that. I've noticed lately that 17 is plentiful( at least I think it's 17 because of the box markings) looking for a good beginner rifle for my kid which would be better and any recommendations on what to get manufacturer wise?

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    IMHO, just about the same recoil, or lack thereof, for either, but more headroom with the 17 as it is a more potent cartridge.

The 17 can be substantially more expensive, but that is a moot point with .22 being non-existent these days.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    17HMR is a niche caliber for long-range varminting. Not really a good first gun for a kid, especially if the rifle ruptures shell casings on a routine basis. You can find 22LR online if you sign up at various places (i.e. Midway) for email notification when it's back in stock.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    If you get a 17 go Marlin or Savage with leaning on the savage I think that is a fine first gun?

What is the age and maturity level?

I was 16 when I was "given" my first gun but I had been shooting for years and that was a Mini-14.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    .17 costs as much as target .22 which has been available almost continually

With a .17, your ammo price is pretty fixed ... with a .22 you can shoot 8¢ per round or 50¢ per round

I have had no trouble replenishing my stock of .22 during the past 4 months (last year was a different story)

willy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 13, 2013
    Carroll County
    Last edited:

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    Another vote for regular .22. The ammo shortage is no reason not to get one. If you have to - just over pay for a few bricks on gun broker so you have something to shoot this season. By next year it will probably be available everywhere again. But you will be paying more for 17 for as long as you own it. 17 is a very high speed, flat shooting varmint round. It is cool, but it is really not for plinking and learning to shoot. That is what .22 is for.

For teaching a youngster, a bolt action .22 with iron sights is what I learned on, what practically everybody I know learned on, etc. All the fundamentals come into play and the need to manually reload naturally forces even an impatient child to slow down, take careful aim and try to make every shot count. So I'd stay away from anything semi-auto. You don't want to teach them how to spray and pray.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    SAME

Recommend the .22 and single-shot for a kid beginner...

Very difficult to beat this combination. Not very exciting, but, to begin with, it teaches, patience, accuracy, breathing, sighting....most of the basics. They can always upgrade later as semi-auto's are not expensive. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And .22lr this shortage will not last too much longer, and then, can get a brick or 2 to have some fun. I think the .17 is a lot more expensive....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Depends on your personal refrence points for *now* and *first* .

If "right now" is important, and "first" means first , and not "only" . Then right now get a bolt action .17 , and 500-1000 rounds. Marlin and Savage will be similar in the good accuraccy/ reasonable price ratio. Using it as a single shot teach him/ her sight alignment , trigger squeeze , use of sling , etc .

Then in a year or two when availability has returned , and prices are close to historical levels , get a .22lr of your/ their preference for cheap blasting , and the .17 becomes a dedicated 200yd varmit gun.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Get a .22 that shoots S, L and LR and expand your ammo choices. And a single shot is a good recommendation or a single shot adapter.

marlboroman

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    If you get a 17 go Marlin or Savage with leaning on the savage I think that is a fine first gun?

What is the age and maturity level?

I was 16 when I was "given" my first gun but I had been shooting for years and that was a Mini-14.

my daughter is 14 and her maturity level is that of a well disciplined woman. Not a girly girl but not a tomboy either. I've had her working safety on my rifles for the last few years. She knows the ins and outs. And is great shooting my rifles AR's and an -06. She is not very comfortable with the -06 but can hit a nice 3" group at 100 ( give her a break she ain't the steadiest with that much recoil) with the AR's she's got it down to a 1" group. She and I have sat down and agreed she wants a bolt action bit in a smaller caliper so she can primarily work on trigger control and aiming better with something that fits her. I was planning on giving her a m&p 15-22 frome the local gun store for her 16th bday but her saying she wanted a bolt action to work with for the things said took me by surprise. So I'm going to try and find something for her.at be it can be her reward for her straight a's this year. I usually give her money. What do you guys think if her last report card is straight As what do you think rifle she wants or money? Thank you for the recommendations guys. Here's to hoping that 22 will become readily available soon

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    my daughter is 14 and her maturity level is that of a well disciplined woman. Not a girly girl but not a tomboy either. I've had her working safety on my rifles for the last few years. She knows the ins and outs. And is great shooting my rifles AR's and an -06. She is not very comfortable with the -06 but can hit a nice 3" group at 100 ( give her a break she ain't the steadiest with that much recoil) with the AR's she's got it down to a 1" group. She and I have sat down and agreed she wants a bolt action bit in a smaller caliper so she can primarily work on trigger control and aiming better with something that fits her. I was planning on giving her a m&p 15-22 frome the local gun store for her 16th bday but her saying she wanted a bolt action to work with for the things said took me by surprise. So I'm going to try and find something for her.at be it can be her reward for her straight a's this year. I usually give her money. What do you guys think if her last report card is straight As what do you think rifle she wants or money? Thank you for the recommendations guys. Here's to hoping that 22 will become readily available soon

It sounds like she is interested in becoming a true markswoman so I would suggest a true target rifle. A bolt action, single shot or removable magazine, aperture sights (peep sight) in .22 long rifle caliber and of sufficient quality to shoot in state level competitions. An example would be the Savage rifles the CMP sells to their affiliated clubs:
    http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/22commercial.htm

There are many good used .22 target rifles for sale which may be had in good condition (hard to wear out a .22 barrel) because people have out grown them or moved into other calibers. There have been many good target guns sold in the past such as Winchester 52, Remington 40X, Kimber 82, Remington 513, Remington 521, and others.

A good used target rifle with sights will cost about $400-$500 with the top of the line about twice that. You will find that well cared for quality target rifles will hold their value over the years The used Winchester 52C I bought for my son 20+ years ago for $300 could be sold today for $1000.

New good target rifles will run from the $350 to $500 range at the bottom to the Olympic style Anschutz, Feinwerkbau, or Walther in the $1000 to $5000 range.

Quality target ammunition has been available throughout at about normal prices it has been the cheap plinking ammo that is scarce. Most inexpensive .22 rifles and most fun shooters can not utilize the increased accuracy of match ammo in a quality rifle but if your daughter wants to become the best shooter she can be you need equipment and ammunition that shoot better than she does so she knows the flyers are her fault not the gun or ammo.

Also get her some "Reduced Recoil" or "Managed Recoil" ammunition for the -06, you give up a little in max velocity and bullet weight for much friendlier recoil but is is still a deer cartridge to 200 yards and makes the same size hole in a paper target.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Not saying the Savages and Marlins aren't good shooters but the quality doesn't compare if you hold a CZ. She'll be giving it to her grand children. They start around $325. And a great set of BRNO peeps for it go around $100 when she is ready to make the move. As you know scopes been be had for less.

In all honesty I would get her a CZ. Almost target grade for a lot less. You can get some super nice peep sites for them. Go to rimfirecentral.com and then the CZ forum and post your question. These guys are serious to a point shooters. No BS or politics, just good sound advice. Extremely helpful bunch. If you're near me you/she is welcome to try one of mine. I have most models. I know there are some fellow CZ shooters here who will back me up on this. Only problem is they are hard to find in MD which is why I'm offering to handle any of mine. I've bought most of mine from Whittaker Guns in KY. I know The Gun Shop in Essex will order one for you also.
    She is a smart young lady to want a bolt action. Much more accurate than levers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom