• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Kroll is awesome. I have used them in the past for some of my RAID10 servers where the controller took a dump and could not quite get to config from the drives onto the new controller.

Can you see if you can find another drive like that one online? Perhaps the board on the bottom is bad. I have done that once a long time ago on an old WD drive. Would not spin up. Found another and swapped boards on the bottom. Tested good to get the data off.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Thanks for the replies.:thumbsup:

I tried the freezer trick last night, with no joy. The 12 and 5 volt power is good at the connector.

No clicks, hums buzzes...nothing. She's as silent as a buried casket.

I may try to cannibalize it and get a new drive to put the platters in, unless there are any other suggestions.

I don't recommend that unless you are ok with destroying any chance of professional recovery.

Take it to Kroll OnTrack or forget it.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If the drive motor has a bad sector it could have stopped in a dead spot. Depending on whether you can get to the drive's spindle you can either turn it a little by hand if you can or try twisting the drive quickly in a CW direction a few times to try and shift the platter assembly. Then reconnect it and try it. If it runs get it backed up before you ever turn it off again. I have done this technique several times in the past but newer drives usually have brakes on the spindle for anti-shock purposes so it may not work.
    RAID 1 is not much protection if you are using less than 3 drives. A 2 drive array is just striping the data and has no parity drive to use for recovery. RAID 0, mirroring, is better because both drives are being used as dual copy resources. RAID 5 using at least 4 drives is much safer because then you do have a parity drive so any one drive going down can just be swapped out and rebuilt.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    If the drive motor has a bad sector it could have stopped in a dead spot. Depending on whether you can get to the drive's spindle you can either turn it a little by hand if you can or try twisting the drive quickly in a CW direction a few times to try and shift the platter assembly. Then reconnect it and try it. If it runs get it backed up before you ever turn it off again. I have done this technique several times in the past but newer drives usually have brakes on the spindle for anti-shock purposes so it may not work.
    RAID 1 is not much protection if you are using less than 3 drives. A 2 drive array is just striping the data and has no parity drive to use for recovery. RAID 0, mirroring, is better because both drives are being used as dual copy resources. RAID 5 using at least 4 drives is much safer because then you do have a parity drive so any one drive going down can just be swapped out and rebuilt.

Twisting it might work since its a 30GB drive, I doubt it has the brake technology.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    HELP!!! :omg:

I have an old 30GB Western Digital IDE HD that is not spinning.

Does anyone here do data recovery, or can it even be done with a bad drive? It was working fine when shut down, but now refuses to spin up.

This drive has never seen the internet, or a network and no files get imported to it. It is from a computer designed solely for creation, so I'm ruling out viruses or outside corruption.

This disk is the data drive of music recording tracks, mostly of my band, but also including my family playing original compositions. Some were backed up, newer recordings have not been.

I'm really saddened about losing this, and I feel I'm about to find out what price I will, or will not, put on memories. :(

I have recovered data on several drives if the main board is the defective part, or the data has been inadvertently deleted.

If you are certain there is no spin to the drive, the main board is defective. Purchase the identical drive on eBay or New Egg, and swap the main board. I use an external USB drive adaptor, and a software tool to test hard drives. Some hard drives can be electronically access using a tool to check the drive's health.

Bytecc sells some an inexpensive USB IDE/SATA Drive Adaptors.

I use HD Tune Pro to check hard drive's health.
    http://www.hdtune.com/

I also use File Scavenger Data Recovery utility to recover deleted files on good drives.

Good Luck!

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Having bigger issues right now. I'll be trying these fixes later this week, hopefully.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be trying them. :thumbsup:

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I did some of that in the old days but if you don't have the parts don't do it. Many failures can damage the platters which pretty much makes them unrecoverable (like head crashes). And in many cases salvaging the data may require moving the platters over to a working drive. Lots of time and $$$.

sm00kingwrx

Jul 23, 2013
    good suggestions

I have recovered data on several drives if the main board is the defective part, or the data has been inadvertently deleted.

If you are certain there is no spin to the drive, the main board is defective. Purchase the identical drive on eBay or New Egg, and swap the main board. I use an external USB drive adaptor, and a software tool to test hard drives. Some hard drives can be electronically access using a tool to check the drive's health.

Bytecc sells some an inexpensive USB IDE/SATA Drive Adaptors.

I use HD Tune Pro to check hard drive's health.
    http://www.hdtune.com/

I also use File Scavenger Data Recovery utility to recover deleted files on good drives.

Good Luck!

OP - I've dealt with dead/dying drives in a past life. What Right2Carry suggests is where i would start. MicroCenter in Rockville has external USB for cheap. For a 3.5 drive you will want to make sure the External comes with a power supply to juice up the drive.

However cost has dropped tremendously for data recovery. If files are very important, I would pay to get them recovered. I would not risk damaging the drive. It used to be a few grand for a hard drive but it's down to few hundred dollars. Home user rates are cheaper and RAID drives are 10x more expensive to recover. Check some local companies around you. I used a company in CA to Recovery a RAID drive cost was 10k (was for a business though so price is usually higher too).

Best of Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom