32.5 KB · Views: 617
    • 20140816_132800.jpg
      20140816_132800.jpg
      44.4 KB · Views: 615

thegoose

gun loving fanatic
    Feb 16, 2013
    parkville, md
    What does the 6 digit signify. And just so I know with it being a cmp. How much do you think it's worth. Just so I have some peace and mind.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Not trying to be a downer here but what makes it a collectors grade? I don't see any cartouche on the stock, no lock bar sights, what is the barrel date? What are the drawing numbers on the parts? May just be the pics.
    The CMP did have some WW2 Collector Grades years ago but the vast majority were like new 1950's Springfield Armory and H&R's returned from Greece.
    Collector Grade denoted a rifle that was like new with all correct drawing numbers and cartouches stock, usually they came with a data sheet from the CMP.They literally looked unissued.
    Looks like a nice Garand with an early serial number.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Did you literally just buy that off of arms list? Just cking to make sure the pics weren't lifted from this site to be listed fraudulently as I see it on there right now (listed in the last few hours). I see it is for sale from Parkville... or is that you looking to flip it already?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I'd be very reluctant to buy any collector grade m1 in md- even with cmp paperwork. There was an instance a few months ago of rifles being sold with fake paperwork and I know some members on here were taken in by bogus rifles.

Easytarget18

Señor Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    What does the 6 digit signify. And just so I know with it being a cmp. How much do you think it's worth. Just so I have some peace and mind.

It signifies that it is very dangerous and you must get it out of your house right now for the sake of your family. Please pass your address to me and I will be right over to save you from this dangerous rifle.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    That's not a "Collector Grade" in the sense of the CMP (as in unissued condition, and correct as it left the factory). It should have lockbar sights and a blued rear sight cover.

However, that still looks like a very nice M1. The finish has aged to a beautiful green and the wood looks like it's in very nice shape. How's the bore?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Did it come with CMP paperwork?

It looks like a very nice Service Grade, with a nice early WWII serial number. It doesn't appear to be what a serious collector would call "collector grade", because it obviously has the improved rear sight that was upgraded during a post war refurbishment/rebuild. Most WWII Garands were upgraded or rebuilt at some point, and will exhibit a mix of parts from different manufacturers. To me, that's just fine, and I appreciate the layers of history found in an honest USGI Mixmaster.

There are a few quick easy things you can check. If you lock the bolt open, you can look in the gap where the right side of the barrel is exposed at the chamber. You will see something like

SA F6535448 2 55 A217B

SA means Springfield Armory. F6535448 is the barrel's drawing number , which is the same on every USGI Garand.

2 55 is the date the barrel was made, February 1955 in this case. A lot of Garands got new barrels after the Korean War.

If your barrel is original, the date would probably be from late 1941, no later than 1 42, when your receiver was made.

( A217B is the heat lot code for that batch of steel.)

You can also pull the trigger group and check the manufacturer and drawing number. The original, correct trigger group would be marked D28290-5-SA.

The bolt is even easier to check. A Springfield bolt from January, 1942 would be marked D28287-2SA.

Most Garands have a mix of parts from different time periods and different manufacturers. You may have some parts marked HRA, Harrington and Richardson Arms, or even WRA, Winchester Repeating Arms. Such a mix is normal, and to me adds a little interest, even if such a parts mix reduces value to collectors.

In any case, yours looks like a very nice Garand, with that distinctive greenish parkerizing, a color which apparently developed slowly over many years of use.

Feel free to post many more pictures. Lets see the whole rifle, and lets see a detail of the left side of the stock, below the rear sight.

Nice rifle!

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    That's not a "Collector Grade" in the sense of the CMP (as in unissued condition, and correct as it left the factory). It should have lockbar sights and a blued rear sight cover.

However, that still looks like a very nice M1. The finish has aged to a beautiful green and the wood looks like it's in very nice shape. How's the bore?

No such thing as an ugly Garand unless it's badly Bubba'ed. I like the OP's, I like mine too! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2360.JPG
      IMG_2360.JPG
      34.6 KB · Views: 402
    • IMG_2361.JPG
      IMG_2361.JPG
      56 KB · Views: 387
    • IMG_2363.JPG
      IMG_2363.JPG
      19.5 KB · Views: 385

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Neat old Garand you've got there, Bart! Some nice WWII parts, lock bar sights, milled trigger guard, "low hump" gas cylinder lock. Nice rebuild stock.

So what's the serial number range? Where are the rest of the photos?

Are you done thoroughly rubbing all the metal parts with a nice oily cloth yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom