• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I can appreciate this kind of firearm and think they are pretty cool. However I don't see myself ever really going this route as thats just not me. Man, I just look at the money in such a rifle and can't believe it! I guess it really should not surprise me given that any piece of top end equipment is not coming cheap. Again it reminds me that people think MGs are really expensive but when you start thinking about how much you will have in a rifle like this, you are already spending in MG level money! Sure looks like it will be a fine rifle when you are done and I have learned a good bit on a subject I did not know a lot about!

SubSonic 308... Does it still have enough power? Can you hunt with it? What does it do to the effective range of the round? Would a military sniper use something like this? Or are you basically giving up a lot to get that level of suppression?

The day a "DC Sniper" is smart enough to use a firearm like this... what will the gun grabbers want to ban then? Hunting rifles...???

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I can appreciate this kind of firearm and think they are pretty cool. However I don't see myself ever really going this route as thats just not me. Man, I just look at the money in such a rifle and can't believe it! I guess it really should not surprise me given that any piece of top end equipment is not coming cheap. Again it reminds me that people think MGs are really expensive but when you start thinking about how much you will have in a rifle like this, you are already spending in MG level money! Sure looks like it will be a fine rifle when you are done and I have learned a good bit on a subject I did not know a lot about!

SubSonic 308... Does it still have enough power? Can you hunt with it? What does it do to the effective range of the round? Would a military sniper use something like this? Or are you basically giving up a lot to get that level of suppression?

The day a "DC Sniper" is smart enough to use a firearm like this... what will the gun grabbers want to ban then? Hunting rifles...???

You know if they could ban everything, they will... even rubber band shooting gun.

its part of the hobby. some of use dont have the cash to buy a prebuilt $5k rifles w/ same look. its actually cheaper to do it like scar is doing.. buy the base gun and work it up. also.. some of the rifles are not available to regular joe's (who are not in the military or law enforcements).

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location

I take comfort in knowing that good people still outnumber the bad people. DC was chosen by the " so called Snipers" due to the lack of the majority of folks to shoot back.

If they did that stuff in a " hunting State" like Pa... they would have served as targets themselves.

as for machineguns... c'mon man.. been there done that, most guys are getting into the MG scene very late.. That stuff does not excite me anymore... I'm more into the technical aspect of the hobby and in search of something that is not mainstream.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    PG county they'd have gone un-noticed... :lol2:

Then why not go with a 20mm Rifle??? 5000 yard range..., beat that .308 any day of the week... :party29:

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I sure hope you kept this guys number on hand.The suppressed sound of your BAS-K is hard to top. Your rig actually has inspired this whole thing. maybe I'll be able to match that in next year's silencer shoot.:)

I've got his contact information on my office computer. I'll dig it up and send it to you. We'll have to get our guns out side by side and do some "research". With the same ammo they should be pretty close, except for the can. Mine is quieter. :D

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

A 200gr bullet traveling 965fps.....yes it still has a pretty good punch. Not CF rifle type terminal energy, but probably something similar to say a .40 S&W. So yes, it will sting a bit when it hits you. On hunting.....the guy that loaded my ammo said that he sells a lot of it to hog hunters. He said that one of his customers took 15 hogs in a matter of minutes with a suppressed gun with a night vision scope. They had no idea what was happening until it was too late. On trajectory.....the bullet drops about 6"-7" at 100 yards.
    I've found this ammo to be less accurate than my factory match loads(...duh). To me, these are more novelty fun loads for use only with a can.

And BTW, just by attaching my .30 cal. can to the end of the barrel changes the Point of Impact, with full power loads, to 5" low at 100 yds. My quick compensation for 100 yard shooting is just to set the scope at 300 yards. That brings it right back on target with full powered loads.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I've got his contact information on my office computer. I'll dig it up and send it to you. We'll have to get our guns out side by side and do some "research". With the same ammo they should be pretty close, except for the can. Mine is quieter. :D

you're on.... as soon as i get the can.. I'm going to be calling you:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

BTW... We actually have to hit something, like the broad side of a barn during testing... That gun of yours is hard to top in terms of suppression. But I think it can be done. Just Got to come up with something quieter than a snails fart.

Vendicator

Nov 5, 2010
    Wow, I actually started looking on here to get more info about suppressors and the Rem 700 Tac SD. I was planning on trying to get a hold of one in these upcoming weeks.

I can honestly say that this thread peaked my interest even more, and just locked in my decision to get one and do something similar to what you are!

I look forward to seeing more :D

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Wow, I actually started looking on here to get more info about suppressors and the Rem 700 Tac SD. I was planning on trying to get a hold of one in these upcoming weeks.

I can honestly say that this thread peaked my interest even more, and just locked in my decision to get one and do something similar to what you are!

I look forward to seeing more :D

I'm glad we can contribute to your new addiction... welcome to class 3 stamp collecting

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    As for optics and bases.. I understand that a 30 MOA base works better.. I'm thinking outside of the box and may use a non- common optic for the set-up.

I'll be experimenting with a Russian PSOP scope and a zero MOA base. I really like the dragunov type reticle and ease of elevation adjustment. A dope card should work after POI is determined at various ranges.

This badboy is elevation compensated all the way up to 1500 meters. It should resolve the adjustment issues associated with bullet drop in a subsonic 308. I'm also trying to develop the heaviest load for this rig.. something heavier than 200 grains.

Attachments

• posp41042prow-1.jpg
      posp41042prow-1.jpg
      23.6 KB · Views: 266
    Last edited:

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Looks great, SCAR!

Here's a pic of my 'reach out and touch something' Remington 700-

mg4457small.jpg

It is still my favorite one in my safe, but I don't really get out and use it much as of late. My safe had some vacant spaces so I've been spending my money on acquiring more tenants, so to speak, instead of buying ammo. One of these days I'll save up and get a can built for it by Mike Resignio, since he built the rifle.

Ed Shell is a master of this sport and I wish I had been able to take some training from him while I was living in Maryland. Maybe one of these days I'll fly back and get some time in with him.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    My little plinker, the 20" LMT MWS w/ YHM 7.62 Phantom.

500 yards of fun on Tuesday.

standard.jpg

12" plate

standard.jpg

Those 175's get that plate swinging !

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Looks great, SCAR!

Here's a pic of my 'reach out and touch something' Remington 700-

mg4457small.jpg

It is still my favorite one in my safe, but I don't really get out and use it much as of late. My safe had some vacant spaces so I've been spending my money on acquiring more tenants, so to speak, instead of buying ammo. One of these days I'll save up and get a can built for it by Mike Resignio, since he built the rifle.

Ed Shell is a master of this sport and I wish I had been able to take some training from him while I was living in Maryland. Maybe one of these days I'll fly back and get some time in with him.

Ed is a National treasure in terms of the High Powered Rifle. His post got me interested in boltguns. (Another freakin addiction) It is also a vow of poverty. This website in making me broke all the time.

Here is the second one I put together in two weeks. ( urban hello kitty camo) http://www.best-decals.com/index.ph...id=795&zenid=3832e9bc02ae002322c69b28fa4fdabc

Attachments

• 20110811_hk_rifle_pst_0006.jpg
      20110811_hk_rifle_pst_0006.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 186

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Ed is a National treasure in terms of the High Powered Rifle. His post got me interested in boltguns. (Another freakin addiction) It is also a vow of poverty. This website in making me broke all the time.

Here is the second one I put together in two weeks. ( urban hello kitty camo) http://www.best-decals.com/index.ph...id=795&zenid=3832e9bc02ae002322c69b28fa4fdabc

I had a passion for boltguns before finding this website but Ed's posts chewed up and digested some specific and in depth concepts that I was having problems understanding. The man has a great talent of taking some very technical information and breaking it down in a manner that just 'clicks' and retains in my brain. Ed, if you're reading this- Thank You.

Between Engage Armaments section here, rimfirecentral.com and the BATFE, I too am broke. I don't measure costs in cash outlay anymore, I measure costs in how long I'll need to eat Ramen noodles. There are days where I really consider selling my truck (which I love but don't need), buying a very cheap beater car and using the cash from the sale to buy a Hk MP5SD and some form of FA M16. The rare case of financial common sense from my wife stops me from doing that.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    scar - what is the caliber of the kitty gun? 308 also?
    Now that I completed my bathroom remodel, hopefully, I will be able to get back to work on mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom