Ruger GP100 Barrel length....4 or 6 inch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I personally found that 3" revolver barrels dig into my hip when using an IWB holster, whereas the 4" is just long enough not to. YMMV.

Jim

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Not a Ruger, but when I bought my .357 and was faced with the same decision, I went with the 6". I really could have gone either way, but I don't regret my decision at all.

I only shoot it at the range, but it balances fine. I won't conceal a revolver anyway, so being more compact doesn't really add any benefit for me.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Mine will not be concealed either. I have a G26 for that should the CCW Gods ever smile upon this state. I am now leaning more towards the 6"...As always, thanks everyone. It's a couple of months away but I will post pics once I purchase it.

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    If you are going to be using it for hunting or target practice at longer distances then go with the 6"; you will gain on average an extra 200fps going from 4" to 6" which can give it that little extra bit of range

If you are going to be shooting it inside of 50 yards or plan to use it for home defense or IDPA the extra 2" will not really be any benefit to you.

gstack

"just an excitable boy"
    Mar 8, 2009
    close to md
    I to had the some choice to make.....so I bought both. The 4 inch is plenty accurate, but the 6 inch is legal to take hunting with you in MD. Both fantastic shooters! :thumbsup:

I agree with Matt, I have both the 4 is great and you can hunt with the 6

Hynes57

Aug 4, 2010
    Charles Town, WV
    3R in Leitersburg had one of each. It was nice to handle all 3 at once. It really pointed out the difference in they way they feel and was why I decided on the 4 inch.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    6" it is. As I said in the OP, I like both. After reading the comments, I think I will be happier with the 6. Pics will be posted as soon as I get it. Now to find some nice wood grips to put on it :)

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    wN-eWrInS1wNFtiz6KWWkPShqDapDGU0g5r0--li9sAbW0V9wclk7LQkPV1nLsmdc61Nf_KGx4SkOAl8gc6gDgTEMvVXya4YJyVLmiZicuICWTpd-d2Rx9o0CpzG5sP-maEA1nq9Iubm_3OF959Mbh9KoPIogCZr_g

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAg#

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom