Why does a 9 year old need to learn to shoot an Uzi?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Horrible. I have no beef with a little kid shooting a machine gun but the instructor should have his hands on the gun at all times.

I would never shoot at a range called the Last Stop.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    good reminder that when introducing a new shooter only load one until they are used to it then progress from there. If only one had been loaded this tragedy could have been avoided.

No problem with a kid shooting a machine gun, but we must always be cautious.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Yeah... like so many major incidents, we have many mistakes here...

1. 9 year old girl usually (almost always) does not have the strength or mass to handle an Uzi.
    2. Amount of ammo in the mag... when you have any doubt, start with one and then two and then three....
    3. Instructor did not have a hand on the shooter to stop muzzle climb.
    4. Instructor should have been able to anticipate the muzzle climb enough to get his head out of the way.
    5. Trigger control was obviously not taught in this case.

Just the general idea of this is... we just had a young kid kill himself with a mini Uzi a little while back. It should have been fresh in everyone's mind.

You know if I was handing a 9 year old Girl a 9mm Beretta, I would have started at one round. Obviously there is more to this story but it seems very clearly a series of bad choices.

Its also happens to be one of the reasons we qualify all with a Thompson. Usually those that can't lift the heavy gun up to shooting position, are also the ones that can't handle the recoil.

I do left young kids, even younger than her shoot my MGs... well my Heavy Maxim MG. Its 100lbs on a Sled Tripod completely locked in. I can shoot it with my little finger like that...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I started my daughter on an mp5 and a walther mp. 3 rounds in the mag and me with my hands "right there" hovering. I saw some "instructor edict" somewhere that says never touch a student. Fvk that. I tell then where my hands might be and why. No problem ever.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I started my daughter on an mp5 and a walther mp. 3 rounds in the mag and me with my hands "right there" hovering. I saw some "instructor edict" somewhere that says never touch a student. Fvk that. I tell then where my hands might be and why. No problem ever.

depending really.
    i typically ask before hand if i need to touch the person... but if its emergency (due to safety)... i jump in and take control of the gun.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I started all my kids with my arms wrapped around them from behind helping them hold the gun.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I took my assistant manager shooting for the first time and I started her with one even with a 22. On the 44 mag I start inexperienced people with one and my hand hovering ready to take control.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    It's very sad for all involved. Safety and forethought only work when they're applied each and every day.

Last night I started a thread on "Which .22 for a 10 Year Old Range Day?". The MDS member's replies confirmed what I'd already planned: a bolt and maybe a lever action rifle for a beginner -> because each shot can be directly and safely controlled by adults.

Why anyone would place a high powered firearm (auto or semi) in the hands of a child in the first place is beyond comprehension to me.

:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom