• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    So it begins, like what is escalating in European countries becoming apologists to immigrants for their culture offending them?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/11/montgomery-county-school-board-strips-calendar-chr/

Just one point I would like to point out. Please substitute immigrants with Muslims. I come from an immigrant family and Im not Christian however my family has always celebrated Christmas. Growing up as a child in Montgomery county I did not know any different than anyone else when it came to the Christmas holiday except not going to mass. There are many other immigrant families like mine that feel the same way and even have Christmas trees, Christmas parties and enjoy the holiday season without being Christian but at the same time respecting Christianity.
    I'm willing to bet the muslims that are making a big stink about this are probably not immigrants and are homegrown converts.

Last edited:

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    If they find our culture offensive then maybe they should choose somewhere else to settle. The last time I checked, immigrants were supposed to assimilate into our culture because they were leaving their homelands for a better way of life as found in this country.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    If they find our culture offensive then maybe they should choose somewhere else to settle. The last time I checked, immigrants were supposed to assimilate into our culture because they were leaving their homelands for a better way of life as found in this country.

I take exception to this not because I come from an immigrant family or have not assimilated. The only thing that needs to be assimilated if you choose to immigrate here is the respect for the constitution and then whatever laws are unique to your state. You can be Amish or whatever and if you choose to assimilate or not it's a personal individual decision. Culture can be anything and you don't need to respect some of it or all of it but because we have a double standard of this so called assimilation it is precisely what the "Muslim culture" is trying to impose on us.

If you keep with that simple truth then you or I can always use that argument to not respect to other peoples way of life if they impose it on us.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

People come here for freedom of thought and freedom of opportunity. They do not necessarily come to assimilate into our culture, although that is usually the norm; it does take a couple generations for the process to play out.

I would not want to tell people they "have to assimilate into our culture". That seems both heavy-handed and arrogant; there's no reason to assume that they are not bringing with them something of value from their respective cultures, which will ultimately serve to enrich the country as a whole. We're supposed to be about personal freedom, which presumes a freedom of action and belief.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I take exception to this not because I come from an immigrant family or have not assimilated. The only thing that needs to be assimilated if you choose to immigrate here is the respect for the constitution and then whatever laws are unique to your state. You can be Amish or whatever and if you choose to assimilate or not it's a personal individual decision. Culture can be anything and you don't need to respect some of it or all of it but because we have a double standard of this so called assimilation it is precisely what the "Muslim culture" is trying to impose on us.

If you keep with that simple truth then you or I can always use that argument to not respect to other peoples way of life if they impose it on us.

People come here for freedom of thought and freedom of opportunity. They do not necessarily come to assimilate into our culture, although that is usually the norm; it does take a couple generations for the process to play out.

I would not want to tell people they "have to assimilate into our culture". That seems both heavy-handed and arrogant; there's no reason to assume that they are not bringing with them something of value from their respective cultures, which will ultimately serve to enrich the country as a whole. We're supposed to be about personal freedom, which presumes a freedom of action and belief.

OK, I agree. Immigrants don't have to assimilate into our culture. They shouldn't try to destroy our culture either.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    OK, I agree. Immigrants don't have to assimilate into our culture. They shouldn't try to destroy our culture either.

Well yes but to place it in one context, people shouldn't try to destroy the American way of life which is the rule of law and rights. They shouldn't impose their "culture" on others and expect them to assimilate to be easier for them to have the same interests.
    American congress has done far more damage to so called "Culture" but it's so easy to blame and lump immigrants into one big generalization. Which immigrants?

It's easy to blame immigrants for everything especially when they are lawfully successful with what they are doing and other people are drawn passively to an aspect of their culture they would like to adapt as part of their own.
    The goods things become assimilated by free will and are infectious on their own.

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County

This is such arrogance smh, this land was stolen and the people of it were murders and robbed for it. Get a grip. If people want to come here because they think it's freedom they should be a constitution abiding citizen. It's like the way we complain about gun grabbers... What if they told you I you have a problem with it then go back to Europe where your from.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    This is such arrogance smh, this land was stolen and the people of it were murders and robbed for it. Get a grip. If people want to come here because they think it's freedom they should be a constitution abiding citizen. It's like the way we complain about gun grabbers... What if they told you I you have a problem with it then go back to Europe where your from.

:sad20:

Maybe you don't understand the meaning behind what he was saying.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    this land was stolen and the people of it were murders and robbed for it..

...as is the case with every piece of real estate on this planet. I'm tired of this guilt complex as if the United States is this evil force that has uniquely positioned itself through the acquisition of land at the expense of others.

We act as if there are places in this world that exist in their pristine glory with only indigenous people within established geopolitical boundaries that were plopped there by God, aliens or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It's simply not true. Every currently occupied place on earth was acquired at the expense of someone else and I refuse to continue to feel guilty for benefitting from being fortunate enough to have been born here.

I didn't cause the Trail of Tears or participate in it. Neither did my ancestors. I never sold anyone a horse blanket.

We need to move on to the next topic that Americans are supposed to feel guilt over.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    ...as is the case with every piece of real estate on this planet. I'm tired of this guilt complex as if the United States is this evil force that has uniquely positioned itself through the acquisition of land at the expense of others.

We act as if there are places in this world that exist in their pristine glory with only indigenous people within established geopolitical boundaries that were plopped there by God, aliens or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

It's simply not true. Every currently occupied place on earth was acquired at the expense of someone else and I refuse to continue to feel guilty for benefitting from being fortunate enough to have been born here.

I didn't cause the Trail of Tears or participate in it. Neither did my ancestors. I never sold anyone a horse blanket.

We need to move on to the next topic that Americans are supposed to feel guilt over.

Are you trying to tell me that the Mayans didn't start out speaking spanish?

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    As the world turns history is written and then gets re-rewritten and judged based on our own modern standards. I think it's a little more complex and I don't think we will fully understand trying to analyze or judge several moments in time unless we lived it.

We know for certain though advanced genetic studies that people migrated to this great land from Asia in waves far more of a stretch in time spanning thousands of years even before the first European migrations came by ships which is just a blip in historical time. We also know that many of these waves brought about their own forum of conquest and extinction of civilizations in the most barbaric way.
    This is the story of human conquest and acquisition of land which has no boarders and it was ongoing in other places around the world, and not one culture was immune to it even within it's own boarders. As the world evolved we have found far more clever ways to justify land accusation though colonial administration and now we do it though nation building and loans.

In a nutshell, if you don't protect your land you will be conquered by ceremonial decree, but for now we have a civilized court system and a rule of law.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Libtards

15carbine15

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2014
    Prince George's County

Don't feel guilt, reality is reality though. Many didn't feel bad about it during the process of the acts, and many don't now. My whole point is don't be so arrogant about it. Just kicking good people out just because is not what I'm about. If that's what your about then so be it. That's your ways. I'm not going to attack you with name calling and troll like this clandestine fella. My view on the issue differs from yours. Don't I have that right? Don't you have that right? Or am I a liberal retard now even though were on the same page with alotnof issues except :immigration: apparently. Smh

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom