• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Anyone have any experience using a stock other than A2 length on a 20" bbl AR? The A2 is a bit longer than is comfortable for me.

I like the idea of a collapsible stock, but I'm concerned about it being unbalanced. The Vltor Emod seems like a heavier choice that could work.

I've also thought about ordering an A1 length from Cavalry Arms, but I'm not sure how much of a difference 5/8" will make...any first hand experience?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My 20" HBAR DPMS has a collapsible stock to make it easier for the wife to shoot it, and I like the stock a little shorter too.

Mark

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    With the collapsible stock, are you guys using the standard weight carbine buffer with no problems, or did you have to experiment with the heavier weights?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    There's also the A2 shorty/entry stock. That might be too short for you however.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The A1 stock is 3/4" shorter than an A2 and will install on the same receiver extension ("buffer tube") as the A2 stock. Buy an A1 stock and A1 top screw, and the swap out take 10 minutes.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    The Canadian forces C7a2 rifle is set up with a 20" barrel and collapsible stock.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    standard.jpg

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    If you want adjustability and balance, check out the Magpul UBR or PRS. Yes, they are pricey, but they would meet both of your criteria. Plus, if you want one in either OD or Foliage green, they are on sale at DSG Arms, $200 for the UBR, and $189 for the PRS.

ETA: I had an A2 stock on my 18" SPRish AR (fairly heavy barrel), and just switched it out for a UBR. IMO it is much better balanced now. The A2 stock is not that heavy at all.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    The A1 stock is 3/4" shorter than an A2 and will install on the same receiver extension ("buffer tube") as the A2 stock. Buy an A1 stock and A1 top screw, and the swap out take 10 minutes.
    If you like the A2 for weight, but find it a little long for you, get an A1 stock. They are 5/8" shorter.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/C1.html

I am leaning towards the Calvary Arms A1 length stock. My only concern is that it is another "one size fits all" stock, and it would be nice to have the adjustability. But for only $25 to try out, it's hard to ignore.

I have a VLTOR EMOD on my 20" HBAR. Works very well.
    Rifle length Vltor Emod. Twin QD sivel mounts and an awesome cheek weld.

The QD swivel mounts are one of my big reasons behind wanting this stock. I already have a QD mount on the forward rail and the ability to take my sling on and off so easily is a big plus in my opinion.

If you want adjustability and balance, check out the Magpul UBR or PRS. Yes, they are pricey, but they would meet both of your criteria. Plus, if you want one in either OD or Foliage green, they are on sale at DSG Arms, $200 for the UBR, and $189 for the PRS.

ETA: I had an A2 stock on my 18" SPRish AR (fairly heavy barrel), and just switched it out for a UBR. IMO it is much better balanced now. The A2 stock is not that heavy at all.

Yeah I really like the UBR too...has everything I want, but is really pricey compared to the Emod. The cheapest I can find a black one is about $250, where I can do an Emod (including carbine tube, spring, and buffer) for about $165.

Thanks everyone for your input.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    I can't see spending $250 on an AR stock. That is more than I spent on the assembled lower receiver w/ m4 stock. That was what made me look to the A1 and A2.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I can't see spending $250 on an AR stock. That is more than I spent on the assembled lower receiver w/ m4 stock. That was what made me look to the A1 and A2.
    For what the vast majority of us do, I'm with you 100%. For those with body armor and LBE, an adjustable or stubby stock is required, and the ability to adjust to a short length of pull is a useful feature with smaller and/or junior shooters.

IMHO, if you set a tacti-cool $250 adjustable stock to A1 length and leave it, you basically have an A1 stock that cost 10x what it had to. Nice stocks, no doubt, but a solution looking for a problem in most markets and for casual users.

FWIW, several makers sell aftermarket lower sling hardware to replace the buttstock sling loop with a QD stud, meaning GI style A1 & A2 stocks can be QD if needed.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The Rifle length Emod is non-adjustable and I picked one up new for 65$. It comes in A1 and A2 size and uses the standard rifle buffer tube. The big advantage for me is the enhanced cheek weld and the Qd swivel spots for both a 2 pt. sling and a single pt. It also has a hook on the bottom for offhand support when shooting, and plenty of storage built in.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    The Rifle length Emod is non-adjustable and I picked one up new for 65$. It comes in A1 and A2 size and uses the standard rifle buffer tube. The big advantage for me is the enhanced cheek weld and the Qd swivel spots for both a 2 pt. sling and a single pt. It also has a hook on the bottom for offhand support when shooting, and plenty of storage built in.

Where did you find it for $65? It looks like a good solution. I keep my rifle buffer, tube and spring, gain QD mounts, and reduce the length to A1...but I'm only seeing them for $120. I'd go for it even at that price, but if they are on sale somewhere, let me know :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom