• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • viper2788

Oct 12, 2011
    Gaithersburg, MoCo
    I've just bought a new .22 crosman nitro venom pellet rifle and the thing looks just like a real gun! I felt much more comfortable shooting my older crosman 2100 classic around the neighborhood.

So what are the laws regarding pellet guns here in MD? I plan to buy a rifle case for it so it would be concealed... but where can i "legally" go shooting? It seems every bit of woods around here(gaithersburg) is part of seneca park, and I'm not sure what the DNR officers would have to say, which I'm sure I'll run into sooner or later.

I tried researching but this is a tough find... thanks in advance guys for any advice!

jashu360

Jun 7, 2011
    Darlington
    welcome to the forum -- you should introduce yourself in the introductions section.

this doesnt answer his question in any way shape or form.

im not certain on the law on bb guns in maryland so dont go off my opinion alone but i think in baltimore city they are illegal but out side of that i think they are ok

gotguns

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    if you live- plan on shooting in a city; check their ordnance code/law!

the city of Hagerstown will not let you shoot anything with a projectile! bb gun, air soft gun, blow gun, bow, sling shot etc......

Md law is on the net. Check the actual law; not someone's word/opinion.

Nov 14, 2010
    Kingsville, MD
    Stay out of the park. I've seen kids get a visit and hauled off by the police/ Dnr for playing airsoft in a state park.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    In PG county shooting a pellet rifle is equivalent in the eyes of the law to discharging a firearm. :sad20:

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    I emailed the MDS barracks, and they replied that since it is spring/air powered, it is not by definition a firearm, and is legal to shoot. No different than airsoft,

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    It varies by locale, not just by state.
    For instance, here's Howard County's definitions & laws:

(http://library.municode.com/HTML/14680/level3/CO_TIT8CRMI_SUBTITLE_4FICO.html)

And from that reference:

Gun: Any firearm, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, air gun, air rifle or any similar mechanism by whatever name known which is designed to expel a projectile through a barrel by the action of any explosive, gas, compressed air, spring, or elastic.

So as the law is written a kid's suction cup dart gun qualifies - including springs and rubber bands. Gotta love our MD politicians...

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    In PG county shooting a pellet rifle is equivalent in the eyes of the law to discharging a firearm. :sad20:

I grew up in PG county and I'm proud to say from the age of about 8 to 15 I shot pellet rifles and BB guns in my backyard nearly every single day(probably shot way more than 20,000 bb's and pellets during that time). I even set off countless fireworks and firecrackers too! And I had a great time doing it! :rasp:
    Anyone who supports banning bb guns and fireworks, you can SUCK ON MY RED, WHITE, AND BLUE BALLS.
    For places with retarded laws, just be careful and use some common sense. Don't walk around showing the bb gun to anyone and everyone. Find a place with nobody around, be safe, and have fun. It's definitely a lot easier to get away with shooting bb guns in these places than real guns and as long as you're not shooting people, pets, or damaging/trespassing on someone's property you should be fine.
    I am obviously NOT a lawyer and you must choose to ignore any of those stupid bb gun bans at your own risk.:innocent0

The Shooter

Nov 28, 2010
    A.A. Co
    from my experience, the rules for shooting a BB, Pellet, or AIRSOFT in most counties is the same as firing a hunting rifle. No residential areas school's or government property. I know for a fact a Pellet gun and an AIRSOFT gun will get you locked up in Ocean City for a charge of possession of a Replica Gun. Oh and a fine of $150.

Be careful!

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    But, but, but ...

And from that reference:

So as the law is written a kid's suction cup dart gun qualifies - including springs and rubber bands. Gotta love our MD politicians...

It's for the children ... AND ...

STSCM

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2008
    Lusby, MD
    I've just bought a new .22 crosman nitro venom pellet rifle and the thing looks just like a real gun! I felt much more comfortable shooting my older crosman 2100 classic around the neighborhood.

So what are the laws regarding pellet guns here in MD? I plan to buy a rifle case for it so it would be concealed... but where can i "legally" go shooting? It seems every bit of woods around here(gaithersburg) is part of seneca park, and I'm not sure what the DNR officers would have to say, which I'm sure I'll run into sooner or later.

I tried researching but this is a tough find... thanks in advance guys for any advice!

Congrats on the 'gun', I just got the "Dusk" version and it's nice, surprisingly nice considering the pellet guns I shot back in the 50's.
    The problem you'll have also, on top of the stupid laws on the books in this state, that thang looks like a rifle, complete with scope, hell it feels like one. (And until broken in sounds a lot like one also). So if you have egg head neighbors or something they may call you in also.
    Also check HOA's, mine is as anal as any, I break their rules on a regular basis...

cb51

Most of my air gun shooting is done in the basement of my Germantown townhouse. The airguns are my practice when the weather is too bad to go out to the Izzak Walton League I belong to.

But...

I've been known to shoot along the Senaca creek down stream from where 355 crosses it. My townhouse backs to the woods there, and I'll slip my Webley Tempast in a day pack and once in the woods, take it out and shoot on the sly. Plinking along the creek, where it runs between rt 355 and the Izzak Walton property by Clopper road. DO NOT TRESPASS ON IWL LAND. Stop at the railroad bridge. Other than that, you need to make friends with someone who owns some land in the country who won't mind airgun plinking being done. People don't have as much aversion to airguns as firearms. Not as dangerous or need as much backstop.

cb.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    FYI, Charles county has specific air/pellet gun laws enacted. The distances from a residence is actually farther than the hunting safety zone for firearms. The Charles county law also has specific rules regarding transport. You have to check all you local laws.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    OP: you're in MoCo. Airguns are real guns according to MoCo law. So, basically, you need to find a spot where you could shoot a real gun. (Good luck with that!)

Feb 17, 2009
    Just a suggestion,I put a sling on my G1 Extreme when I carry it on my back I break the barrel,fairly comfortable and it may be a bit more obvious (to some) that it is not a real gun.

David N

Dec 7, 2011
    Howard County prohibits virtually anything that fires a projectile from use in a residentail area, including air-soft and paintball. It is a rediculous law that some-one should repeal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom