Who gets to define "mental illness"?

....this guy and people like him...
    watch the question, then skip to 1:15 for joe biden's answer

...and this guy that thinks pretty much everyone here is "nuts" here in md

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    now, to throw a wrench in the gears of justice regarding mental illness and VOLUNTARY psych help. many females who undergo the hard decision of aborting their baby, have counseling. even if it is to comfort the mind of the decision made, they see a head-doc. if the head-doc is bound by law to report all who seek help, the women who had the procedure are reported and possibly denied because of this mental evaluation. to make matters worse, if the woman sought an abortion because she was impregnated by a rapist, yet sought to get a handgun for protection for any future attacks, presents a major problem. :smoke:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    I think we all agree that we want to reduce violent crimes, especially those involving guns. So let's look at who is committing those crimes.

Mentally ill... couple of dozen folks in as many years went off the deep end killing or wounding several hundred people (probably fewer than are murdered in Chicago in a year). And damn sure fewer than are killed every year by drunk drivers (most of whom are repeat offenders).

So how do we determine who these folks are before they go off the deep end? Sure, we can identify some folks who have shown a propensity for violence, whether in spoken or written word, or even actions. And we can put their names on a prohibited persons list (if they're not already there). Will that prevent anybody from getting a weapon? And even if it did, would that include as many as half of the crazies who have acted out in the past few years? Probably not.

Career criminals, gangs, drug dealers.. couple of thousand repeat offenders killing and wounding even more thousands of people every year. Their names are already on the prohibited persons list, and it doesn't prevent them from getting guns. Heck, it's easier for them to buy a handgun than it is for us... no HQL or waiting period down in the 'hood. Cash and carry.

So who is really a greater threat to society? A handful of folks who might act out, or an already identified population of folks who have proven their predisposition to violence? If the talking head libtards REALLY cared about reducing gun violence, they would insist on harsher sentencing. I guess having one's head shoved up one's ass prevents these folks from seeing the complete failure of prohibition, whether it's keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys, drugs, or booze back in the 20s.

Since the Supreme Court has ruled that it is not the responsibility of government (LEOs) to proactively protect citizens, and the courts continue to release violent offenders to the streets, we have cities like Chicago, Detroit, New York and Baltimore with strict gun laws that clearly do not prevent bad guys from getting and using guns, what's left? Somehow, it's got to be up to us to be responsible for our own safety.

I believe that EVERYONE who has PROVEN that they are a threat to society should be removed from society until they are no longer a threat. Treat folks humanely if that's what they deserve, and harshly if that's what they've earned. But get the threats that we can identify off the streets and stop whining about guns. The threats are the bad guys. Deal with them.

/rant off

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    now, to throw a wrench in the gears of justice regarding mental illness and VOLUNTARY psych help. many females who undergo the hard decision of aborting their baby, have counseling. even if it is to comfort the mind of the decision made, they see a head-doc. if the head-doc is bound by law to report all who seek help, the women who had the procedure are reported and possibly denied because of this mental evaluation. to make matters worse, if the woman sought an abortion because she was impregnated by a rapist, yet sought to get a handgun for protection for any future attacks, presents a major problem. :smoke:

Yep.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Interesting sidenote.... the whole point of bringing up gun control is theoretically because mass murders is such a severe societal problem that something MUST be done to prevent these preventable deaths. By the loosest definitions antis have created found here at the mass shooting tracker there were only 383 people killed in "mass shootings" in 2014. Now let's check out accidental deaths unrelated to those 115,000 from suicide, drugs, and alcohol I mentioned earlier...
    Capture.JPG

...wow, it sure looks like there's a LOT of things that kill many more people every year than crazies with guns. I wonder when the president will passionately stand up and demand laws to prevent accidental poisoning and drowning?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I would like your opinion on gun ownership and mental illness. I have a distant relative who is functional but mentally ill. The thought of his owning a gun is not a happy feeling. How far should we restrict the mentally ill? How to define mental illness, since types and variations are so broad it's indefinable. What about someone on meds for depression who appears ro be in control but has periods when he's anything but? How can one possibly regulate or qualify mental illness in terms of gun ownership...yet insure true crazies can mever get their hands on a trigger?[/QUOTE]

You can't.

The. Fact that you even want to try is problematic.

If this real issue... see substantive due process..

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Are people who take Xanax in some prescribed amount everyday for anxiety classified as "mentally ill"? It's my understanding a Doc can only prescribe a few prescriptions in a row before they have to make a "psych" referral in order for that person to continue.
    Or am I totally wrong?

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A person who drives 45 in a 55 while clenching the steering wheel and pressing their nose against the windshield because they're deathly afraid to drive on the highway can be considered "Mentally Ill".

It's a catchall phrase. It's why the Left and some on the Right, regrettably, love the term.

You'll notice, too, that no one is using the term SEVERELY Mentally Ill. Because distinctions such as that would have to be included in the diagnoses. And distinctions like SEVERELY would greatly reduce the number of gun restrictions.

Can't have that.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Are people who take Xanax in some prescribed amount everyday for anxiety classified as "mentally ill"? It's my understanding a Doc can only prescribe a few prescriptions in a row before they have to make a "psych" referral in order for that person to continue.
    Or am I totally wrong?

I think you're wrong. I think all women should give up firearms for a week every 28 days. :innocent0

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Or am I totally wrong?

I would say that people who take Xanax on a regular basis have psychiatric diagnosis. I can prescribe as much Xanax as I want. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom