• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mossy33oak

Nov 29, 2011
    Curl Cowty
    Not sure exactly where to ask this, but this seems like a good forum for it. Has anyone else been having problems with their NICS checks recently been "delayed"? I've done two transfers at my local gun shop and both have been delayed. After 5 days the guns are then released to me. The dealer says he's seen a spike in this for regular customers who he knows are legit. And before anyone asks, no I have a perfectly clean record.

*forgot to mention, it was told to me for what it is worth "with Maryland's gun laws the FBI has been flagging a lot of the checks out of precaution"...... this sucks when you pay for a gun and have to wait an extra week just because.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I actually got flagged for "further review" at the HoCo show. It was the first time (that I know of) that I've not sailed through. Basically, they just kept the dealer on the line for another 10 mins while someone else dug deeper... this was a first for me, but the dealer said that it happens a lot on Sundays for some reason. Beats me.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I would totally buy into that. I have a VERY common name, except for the fact that i am close to triple digits in my NICS checks and have never had this problem before.

triple digits in my NICS checks is probably a new "terrorist" profiling being done in Marylandistan. Considering anyone with over 1,000 rounds of ammo is considered a threat :sad20:, someone with 100 guns must be on all sorts of tin foil lists. <This crap with "delayed" NICS approvals really pisses me off...>

:tinfoil:

mossy33oak

Nov 29, 2011
    Curl Cowty
    I actually got flagged for "further review" at the HoCo show. It was the first time (that I know of) that I've not sailed through. Basically, they just kept the dealer on the line for another 10 mins while someone else dug deeper... this was a first for me, but the dealer said that it happens a lot on Sundays for some reason. Beats me.

Yes that's exactly what they said. "Delayed for further review" however then they told the dealer a date (5 business days away) that he had to wait to release the gun to me. He hung up and called back immediately (hoping to get a different agent) and the different agent said there was nothing she could do.

mossy33oak

Nov 29, 2011
    Curl Cowty
    triple digits in my NICS checks is probably a new "terrorist" profiling being done in Marylandistan. Considering anyone with over 1,000 rounds of ammo is considered a threat :sad20:, someone with 100 guns must be on all sorts of tin foil lists. <This crap with "delayed" NICS approvals really pisses me off...>

I was thinking the same thing. With hearing in the news how they're going after people they consider "preppers" I'm wondering if this isn't one of the triggers that flags them (pun intended)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I have a mixed experience. I have had some delayed and others not. I don't have a common name either. Just seems to be random in my experience. I had a shotgun and a Garand delayed, while other long guns and pistols went right through.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I would totally buy into that. I have a VERY common name, except for the fact that i am close to triple digits in my NICS checks and have never had this problem before.

Previous NICS checks have no bearing on current NICS checks. They scrub the checks after 48 hours I believe.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Yes that's exactly what they said. "Delayed for further review" however then they told the dealer a date (5 business days away) that he had to wait to release the gun to me. He hung up and called back immediately (hoping to get a different agent) and the different agent said there was nothing she could do.

5 Day is BS, Federal law under 922 is 3 days.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have found that since we started to use eCheck as opposed to phoning in, we seem to get fewer "Delay" responses.

I don't know if it is the online system or our recent clientele, but there is a marked difference.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I get delayed 75% of the time now. Never had a problem until 6 months ago. I went ahead and got 2 sets of prints and sent one to the FBI for a personal background check. Depending upon what pops up there, I'll either correct erroneous information or apply for a UPIN if necessary.

I've found that I don't get delayed midweek between 11-3pm. Friday late afternoon is a lock that I'm going to be delayed.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis

Remember, they aren't supposed to store any information, and run a new check every single time.

:)

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Are you providing your SS# on the form?

That would make it easier to know if there is name confusion or they think they have something on you.

I know some people don't provide the SS#. I always do and get the good to go in a few seconds.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Another good reason NOT to get an HQL, and just keep purchasing all guns with the C & R license.....:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom