• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    There are some very few, very specific exceptions to having the HQL.

What is more, are the exceptions to the TRAINING component. Your question mixes the two.

Both of these have been discussed at length in other threads.

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    I was curious about that as well, but since I deal with FFL's which release on time I am no longer worried about it. I sent an email to MSP regarding necessity of the HQL for applications dating pre-October 1st. This is obviously not a definitive answer so take it with a grain of salt.

If I start the transfer process on a handgun (The paperwork is filed on August 01 of 2013 for example) and I am not able to take possession until November due to the backlog, will I be required to have a new handgun 'license' before taking the item home, or am I good to go without?

It's my understanding that you will be good.

Last edited:

chillman

Sep 20, 2012
    Annapolis
    Seems more like someone's opinion on the matter. Not a definitive statement. Regardless, we won't know until the time comes. I'll be one of the one of the people on the fence.

Verbotene

Lurker Supreme
    Feb 27, 2012
    Awesome. This well-and-truly f*cks several people I know.

So... It's our fault all of you (our supreme leaders) are incompetent jackoffs. Great.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I can only imagine the clusterfark at places like Continental Arms that have hundreds of guns waiting to get delivered. A lot of first time people are going to be mighty unhappy they will have to spend even more money to take their gun home.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I can only imagine the clusterfark at places like Continental Arms that have hundreds of guns waiting to get delivered. A lot of first time people are going to be mighty unhappy they will have to spend even more money to take their gun home.

I'd love for this to be the impetus for any dealers still not releasing on time to get their stock cleared.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    I'd love for this to be the impetus for any dealers still not releasing on time to get their stock cleared.

As good a reason as they are going to get. Though I can see some places viewing this as an opportunity to make more money by selling training classes, fingerprints and photographs.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    Nice. So if you are not at a dealer willing to release on time, and your firearm is in limbo for 100-150 days, Oct. 1 will hit and it will take them what, 6-9 months to get the HQL system running right?

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    All of this was to be expected. All you had to do was read the bill. The worst part is the MSP was telling people they would be fine on pre-Oct 1 purchases. Oops.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Seems more like someone's opinion on the matter. Not a definitive statement. Regardless, we won't know until the time comes. I'll be one of the one of the people on the fence.

It is the written statement of a member of the AG's office to a sitting member of the GA, that qualifies it as an official opinion of the AG's office.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Can't say this was unexpected. However, the reference to assault weapons seems to appear that there will be no issue with post October 1, 2013 transfers/sales of assault weapons with a pre October 2, 2013 PO. Would love to get a clear position on that from the AG about whether the dealer/FFL can transfer/sell an assault weapon post October 1, 2013 if the customer has a pre October 2, 2013 PO for it.

Dec 31, 2012
    This should not be a surprise if you read SB281. This outcome was known early on. The law never specified exemption for pre Oct 1st handguns as is clearly stated in the letter. I think too many confused soon to be banned AR's and the HQL. Different aspects of the same bill.

Stick with on time 8 day legally releasing dealers. I hope more will begin releasing on time even going so far as to have extended hours to allow more deliveries.

I will purchase after October if I'm able to financially but I don't want to wait even longer for something I've already paid for so 8 day only FFL's it shall remain.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Just as I elected. Posted it months ago and got jumped on. This has been their plan all along

I know, right?

It'll be interesting when someone has a "Not Disapproved" come back the first week of October with a NICS that expires the following week, but the customer won't be allowed to pick up the gun until November or later due to lack of HQL. Sounds like even more work for MSP if you ask me.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    This should not be a surprise if you read SB281. This outcome was known early on. The law never specified exemption for pre Oct 1st handguns as is clearly stated in the letter. I think too many confused soon to be banned AR's and the HQL. Different aspects of the same bill.

Stick with on time 8 day legally releasing dealers. I hope more will begin releasing on time even going so far as to have extended hours to allow more deliveries.

I will purchase after October if I'm able to financially but I don't want to wait even longer for something I've already paid for so 8 day only FFL's it shall remain.

Unfortunately there are a lot of individuals like myself who made purchases early May before 8-day release became the norm. While I expect to be able to pick up my guns September 4-13th, individuals who hit 2nd review on a May 10th or later purchase may be SOL. And if MSP slows down even more, I may be borderline SOL myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom