Question on provisions in new MD law (FSA of 2013) on inheritance?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Can a child (over 21 years old ) that legally owns handguns in MD but currently does not possess an HQL inherit a handgun from a deceased parent (who in MD legally owned the HG prior to FSA of 13) without having to get an HQL?

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    You fill out an inheritance 77R and send it to MSP via mail. If you want to call me at the shop tomorrow I'll explain the process but it's long to write out on my phone ATM. 301-838-3151 ext 2.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You fill out an inheritance 77R and send it to MSP via mail. If you want to call me at the shop tomorrow I'll explain the process but it's long to write out on my phone ATM. 301-838-3151 ext 2.

Nate
    That would make a nice sticky if you could type it up some time.:thumbsup:

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    We recently inherited a handgun. Did the transfer at the Glen Burnie barracks. Because there was no will, they marked it as a voluntary transfer. No HQL required, no fee. If you go this route, bring the death certificate. Bring the unloaded gun in a case in your trunk. Leave it in the car. They will come out and inspect it.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    What changes if the parent that dies is in a different state? My buddy just asked me since his dad is in NJ.
    My first thought was it shouldn't matter (and it won't to MD) but there was a recent thread where the father dies in NY and no one else in the family had a NY permit and the police were pounding on the widows door.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    My first thought was it shouldn't matter (and it won't to MD) but there was a recent thread where the father dies in NY and no one else in the family had a NY permit and the police were pounding on the widows door.

Yup, he did the transfer with us. Relatively smooth with some MSP calls that we had to make. Simple under MD, the other state makes it a little harder sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom