• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Been off-and-on looking for one for a while. There are two .308 Remington 600s that have been in my Dad's safe for my whole life. One is complete but the other is a complete rifle sans a butchered stock that some twit tried to cut off. Neither have been fired in my lifetime but they aren't new.

Been thinking about using the rifle with the butchered stock for a project of some kind but first I need a decent stock for it.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The Remington 600 & 660 were compact, lightweight bolt actions with dog-leg bolts. XP-100 family of actions. I had one in .222, always wanted one in .350 RemMag, but built a .35 Whelen on a 700 LA instead

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    The 600 was way ahead of it's time. Stocks are available, but not cheap.
    I have a 600 in 350 Rem Magnum, awesome gun for Bear, but very expensive ammo if you don't handload.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Check Midway for a replacement stock. I've never heard of a Remington 600. Maybe misplaced a number?

I knew I had it right. There are a pair of them in the safe, both in .308. Supposedly they have a real cult following. Seems like a high quality rifle to me.

Example photo shown here (taken from Google)

Attachments

• Remington600M085-1.jpg
      Remington600M085-1.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 1,124

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I should add that I have seen black polymer stocks available which are listed as fitting several Remington rifles including the 600. I've also read that they fit like crap.

Maybe I could add wood to the cut-down stock and just paint it since the new wood would look nothing like the original wood if stained.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Ahh, after seeing the pics I remember these rifles. I think they made a stainless laminate stock one that looked really nice.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Since you have one good stock, another idea would be to buy a stock blank, then send it to a shop that has a stock duplicator to create a new one. At a nearby gun show, I saw one PA-based shop that did this kind of work. He had a ton of stocks that he replicated like this. I believe I saw him at the Harrisburg gun show.

JoeR

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I need to actually measure that stock sometime to make sure it is indeed cut off. Its been disassembled my whole life and I was simply told it was cut off and too short. Might be able to just make it up with a big pad (I've read that these things kick like a mule)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I need to actually measure that stock sometime to make sure it is indeed cut off. Its been disassembled my whole life and I was simply told it was cut off and too short. Might be able to just make it up with a big pad (I've read that these things kick like a mule)

How good are you with woodworking? I might be able to get my hands on a piece of wood, so you could make a replacement stock.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Origional 600 stocks will be pricey , and in demand from collectors.

If looking for a shooter that pleases you rather than a restoration on purpose , all of the usual suspects of custom and semi-custom stocks can fix you up with a stock of your choice in walnut , laminate, or hand laid in anything from semi-inleted to fully finished.

The stainless ones mentioned above were recent production M673's .

Kick would be comparable to any other light weight .308 bolt, and felt recoil will as always be subject to how the individual stock fits your individual body.

And yes , as noted , the M600 was way ahead of its time , like 30yrs.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    How good are you with woodworking? I might be able to get my hands on a piece of wood, so you could make a replacement stock.

Not good enough to make a stock. I'm good at right angles and other things you need to know to complete typical household carpentry. Sculpting the shapes required for a stock is probably beyond my current abilities.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I remember when these rifles were being sold new. Everyone was making fun of that shark fin front sight blade and the raised rib. Too bad the gun was discontinued. The .350Mag is a great round. Didn't the rifle come with a rather short barrel for the caliber? Seems .35 caliber has never really caught on, even the great little .35 Rem has had a tough go. Whenever I find .35 Whelan on the shelf, I buy every box I can afford, might be a long time till I see it again.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I remember when these rifles were being sold new. Everyone was making fun of that shark fin front sight blade and the raised rib. Too bad the gun was discontinued. The .350Mag is a great round. Didn't the rifle come with a rather short barrel for the caliber? Seems .35 caliber has never really caught on, even the great little .35 Rem has had a tough go. Whenever I find .35 Whelan on the shelf, I buy every box I can afford, might be a long time till I see it again.

I think it has an 18" barrel, thus why Cooper used it as a basis for his scout rifles. Compact with a punch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom