• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So, I was possibly looking to buy a Ruger 10/22 in the future. That said, I was doing some research, and fired up the ole Google-ator. I was unable to determine if they even have a warranty. Anyone with a 10/22 confirm this, or ever had to send one back? I was also searching for the Citadel M1-22 by Chiappa and can't find info on it, even on their site. Are rimfires forgotten?

Dec 31, 2012
    It's a Ruger. Enough said. If you happen to need the warranty they will treat you right.

WHY NO WARRANTY CARD HAS BEEN
    PACKED WITH THIS NEW RUGER FIREARM
    The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any
    seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written
    warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be
    designated as “limited” or as “full” and sets minimum standards for a
    “full” warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to
    provide any written warranty, either “limited” or “full”, rather than to
    attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and
    the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied
    warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As
    the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from
    state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger &
    Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in
    providing service to owners of Ruger firearms.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    You can look up why they don't advertise a written warranty on their FAQ via the Ruger website.

I sent a Ruger back to the factory for a manufacturing defect, they fixed it and sent it back to me.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    They stand behind their products. Sent a pistol back to Ruger last year. They provided a prepaid freight label, fixed the problem, and turned it around quickly. No hassles....buy with confidence.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    OK. I am still looking on Ruger's site in the FAQ trying to find the explanation. I just want a little piece of mind if I am going to buy one.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    "Why No Warranty Card Has Been Packed With Your New Ruger Firearm?
    The Magnuson-Moss Act (Public Law 93-637) does not require any seller or manufacturer of a consumer product to give a written warranty. It does provide that if a written warranty is given, it must be designated as "limited" or as "full" and sets minimum standards for a "full" warranty. Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. has elected not to provide any written warranty, either "limited" or "full", rather than to attempt to comply with the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act and the regulations issued thereunder. There are certain implied warranties under state law with respect to sales of consumer goods. As the extent and interpretation of these implied warranties varies from state to state, you should refer to your state statutes. Sturm, Ruger & Company wishes to assure its customers of its continued interest in providing service to owners of Ruger firearms."

Still doesn't explain how long they will provide service or fix any defects. Oh well, guess I will take a chance, they have a good rep.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Right. It doesn't explain and it's not meant to.

It basically says, if you send it to us, we'll tell you if it can be fixed at no cost to the customer.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    OK. I am still looking on Ruger's site in the FAQ trying to find the explanation. I just want a little piece of mind if I am going to buy one.

Ol' Tom Jefferson never imagined the Government would be involved in warranties, but evidently they are and Ruger isn't comfortable with that.

others have beat me to posting the quote.

http://www.ruger.com/service/FAQs.html#Q121

You could browse rugerforum.com It should ease your mind.

Last edited:
    Dec 31, 2012
    I've had absolutely no problems with Ruger standing behind their firearms despite not having a stone clad written warranty.
    They replaced 1 of my revolvers and fixed two others as well as sent me parts free of charge.
    Don't sweat it and just get yourself a 10/22.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

My wife's Hyundai Sonata had a wonderful 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. We used the warranty a lot and then 100,000 miles came around. The thing that sucked about warranty work was the hassle of taking the car to and from the shop and being without the car. Then, once the warranty was over, I was under the hood or under the car way too much. We got rid of the car at 8 years and 142,000 miles because the heater core started leaking and the power steering pump started leaking. I had had enough.

Then, there is my 1998 Ford Taurus, 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Never used the warranty. At the 6 year mark, I had to replace a $19 speed sensor. had to replace it again a couple of years ago north of 200,000 miles. Until about the 200,000 mile and 12+ year mark, the Taurus had been pretty much worry and repair free.

Warranties are great, but if you really need them a lot on anything, they are a hassle and will leave you wondering what happens when the warranty expires.

Meanwhile, I have 2 Ruger bolt guns, one of which just turned 20 years old, a Ruger Mini-30, and a Ruger 10/22. Only problem I have had with the 10/22 was with an aftermarket Volquartsen trigger group. Needed different scope rings for two of the rifles and Ruger sent them out with the promise that I return the other rings to them.

Guess my point is, I would not hesitate to buy another Ruger because of its warranty policy. Ruger hasn't been around as long as it has, and gained the reputation it has, by shafting the consumer. Don't like their Red Label o/u though.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I sent a Ruger Red Label 20 gauge back to them, and I am not the original owner. Only paid for shipping up.

I have a 10/22. Very nice as is or you can customize with a wide variety of after market accessories.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a bunch of Rugers, bought my first one over 30 years ago. I've never had the occasion to find out about their warranty service.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Ruger will do you right. Buy in confidence. Love my 1022 and have never had a failure in any regard much less any problems and this thing has seen at least 10000 rounds ah the good days when you could buy a brick for hardly nothing...

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Several years ago I bought a 17/22 used on GB. It had had a "trigger job". Totally unsafe trigger. I sent it to Ruger with an LOE indicating exactly what had transpired and offered to pay to have it fixed. They returned the gun to factory specs and sent it back to me free. No questions asked. All I paid was the shipping to them. This was a problem created by someone else and they fixed it. End of story, their warranties and CS are 2nd to none.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    I've only had one ruger product that ever had a real problem, and quite frankly it was something I had done myself and it would have voided the warranty on nearly any gun made by any manufacturer.

I told them what happened, and they took care of me. They didn't ask questions, but I volunteered the information about how the barrel was bent, and they told me no sweat, send it in and they'd take care of it. And they did.

In case anyone was wondering I was trying to jury rig a accurizing strut for a pawn shop mini-14 I had gotten my hands on cheap.

I was honestly surprised they even agreed to take it in since at that point the new minis were out and I thought they wouldn't have parts for the older ones.

When I got the gun back not only was there a new barrel on her, but a new charging handle and op-rod assembly, bolt, and other sundry parts, and the grittyness in the trigger that I could not fix or figure out for the life of me was corrected.

Ruger are incredible as manufacturers go, I found out during that transaction that they keep parts on hand for EVERY SINGLE GUN THEY MANUFACTURED, even the discontinued ones within reason, just so they can take care of their customers.

Class A company, American through and through

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My wife's Hyundai Sonata had a wonderful 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty. We used the warranty a lot and then 100,000 miles came around. The thing that sucked about warranty work was the hassle of taking the car to and from the shop and being without the car. Then, once the warranty was over, I was under the hood or under the car way too much. We got rid of the car at 8 years and 142,000 miles because the heater core started leaking and the power steering pump started leaking. I had had enough.

Then, there is my 1998 Ford Taurus, 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Never used the warranty. At the 6 year mark, I had to replace a $19 speed sensor. had to replace it again a couple of years ago north of 200,000 miles. Until about the 200,000 mile and 12+ year mark, the Taurus had been pretty much worry and repair free.

Warranties are great, but if you really need them a lot on anything, they are a hassle and will leave you wondering what happens when the warranty expires.

Meanwhile, I have 2 Ruger bolt guns, one of which just turned 20 years old, a Ruger Mini-30, and a Ruger 10/22. Only problem I have had with the 10/22 was with an aftermarket Volquartsen trigger group. Needed different scope rings for two of the rifles and Ruger sent them out with the promise that I return the other rings to them.

Guess my point is, I would not hesitate to buy another Ruger because of its warranty policy. Ruger hasn't been around as long as it has, and gained the reputation it has, by shafting the consumer. Don't like their Red Label o/u though.

Warranties these days are marketing devices and in no way indicate the reliability or the lack of it of any product. It turns out pretty much that the shorter the "warranty" a car has the MORE reliable it is. Warranties are basically insurance the car maker takes out to offset the amount of repairs their cars may need during their lifetime of the initial owner. All of the companies providing those 100K mile warranties were car makers that had serious reliability issues sometime in the last 20 years or so. Enough that their reputations were at least tarnished. It especially applies to the cars from Korea as both Hyundai and Kia had enough issues when they started selling cars here that they got bad reps over it. Also to a lesser extent applies to Chrysler Corp. Nowadays most cars are reasonably reliable but nowadays have more electronic issues than anything else as cars get more computerized. Also often the lower market share makers of various products like to increase their perceived warranty length so they can tout that in their ads and literature.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I have sent two guns back to Ruger in the past. One was a SBH in 44 Mag. they replaced the barrel after me and 3 buddies thought it would be fun to see how fast we could put 500 rounds thru it one day. the next time I took it out shooting I noticed the sight was off. It was as if the barrel started to unscrew from getting too hot. They replaced the barrel and provided shipping both ways without a question. The other was a 22/45 that one time I put together incorrectly and could not get it apart to try again. No questions, no hassel. Then with the same gun my buddy borrowed it and decided he was going to "help" with a trigger job. After it jaming and being unsafe I sent it in again and they replaced all the components and sent it back. They have treated we great over the last 20 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom