• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Overwatch is a military tactic that places a rifleman/ marksman in a strategic point within the battles to provide accurate fire to team members from a distance, usually from an elevated firing position and a hidden vector.

Sometimes can be interchanged with a DMR/ Sniper support. but overwatchers need to be able to change roles in an instant, from providing support fire to being in the front of the battlefield.( recon or scouting)

With this in mind.... My next project is the ideal overwatch rifle.

What do you think about this start

Semi auto
    20 round mag
    .75 MOA capable
    308 NATO
    magnified optics
    Bipod
    match trigger
    Reliable
    Railed to accomodate NV devices for night ops
    800 meter plus effective range
    Anti materiel( effective against vehicles and armored personnel)
    Suppressor adaptable

The initial platforms that comes into mind are:
    M1A
    AR10
    SCAR17
    PTR-91
    FAL
    VEPR308/ SAIGA308

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Getting these battle rifles to shoot sub MOA is going to be difficult and expensive... Looks like i have a choice between the AR10 and the M1A( EBR )

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Mortgage the house, buy the M-134 minigun from A1, buy 6 more suppressors.

Nothing says 'I got your 6' like 3-4k rounds per minute, suppressed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Kidding aside, I don't think there's a truly 'Ideal' option, there's trade-offs to every platform listed.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I would love to get a KAC M110.

But im priced out of it... Going around35K

There should be something out there thats just as capable... But not as pricey.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Go for the FAL or G3 clone. What you lose in accuracy [not too much as they are both long barreled .308s] you gain in battle proven reliability. Especially the FAL with over 90 countries adopting it at some point. Notably being used in the falklands and still to this day found in conflicts around the globe. The G3 has also proven itself in the german military, and being used throughout war zones in Africa and conflicts in south America and around the world. The PSG-1 was based on the G3 platform, so there is certainly opportunity for increasing accuracy. Ammo selection for both rifles can produce incendiary and AP results. Both can be fitted with suppressors, bipods, 20 rnd+ mags, optics, match triggers, etc.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    another point for both rifles, accessories can be found moderately cheap [in comparison to AR pattern rifles]. Replacement parts are cheap and can be easily stockpiled. Worldwide usage means that you can find ammo and parts wherever your path leads you.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    12" AR10 Variant with 12" Free Float Rail that takes DPMS Pattern Mags. Palmetto Lower and Upper Assembly is a good affordable base rifle.

The Rail will allow quick attachment of I.R. or N.V. devices in conjunction with the Primary Optics. It will also allow attachment of Designators, and White Light/I.R. Illuminators. M.I. makes some SUPER light FF Options.

-Gieselle Trigger (Reliable, good for accuracy and FAST)
    -SLR Click Adjustable Gas Block (Reduces Gas for FAST Follow-Up shots and prevents overgassing)
    -Superior Shooting Solutions Flat Wire CS Spring (Does not over-compress, Reduces Bolt Bounce and has a 500,00 Cycle Life)
    Ranier Arms Ultramatch 12.5" Barrel

Screw a FAL and M1A, the parts are expensive. The PTR has cheap parts but accuracy wont touch a good AR Match Barrel.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Overwatch is a military tactic that places a rifleman/ marksman in a strategic point within the battles to provide accurate fire to team members from a distance, usually from an elevated firing position and a hidden vector.

Sometimes can be interchanged with a DMR/ Sniper support. but overwatchers need to be able to change roles in an instant, from providing support fire to being in the front of the battlefield.( recon or scouting)

With this in mind.... My next project is the ideal overwatch rifle.

What do you think about this start

Semi auto
    20 round mag
    .75 MOA capable
    308 NATO
    magnified optics
    Bipod
    match trigger
    Reliable
    Railed to accomodate NV devices for night ops
    800 meter plus effective range
    Anti materiel( effective against vehicles and armored personnel)
    Suppressor adaptable

The initial platforms that comes into mind are:
    M1A
    AR10
    SCAR17
    PTR-91
    FAL
    VEPR308/ SAIGA308

When you said ".75 MOA capable" and "800 meter plus effective range", your list just got shortened up to the AR-10 and possibly the SCAR-17, but good luck getting a match trigger for the SCAR.

You also became somewhat less effective at very close range, where weight and mass are not assets.

You might also want to rethink that match trigger if you want a field rifle for SHTF, both for reliability and to reduce changes of premature discharge under high stress conditions. There is a very good reason dangerous game rifles and milspec rifles have heavier pull weights.

"Anti-material" is usually something heavier than a .308, and any surplus 30 caliber AP/API/APIT ammo has pretty much dried up. A lead core .308 bullet will have definite limitations in this context, especially at longer ranges.

Anyway, were this mine, I'd put together a 18" AR-10 with a mid-weight barrel and keep everything else as light and compact as possible.

Anything shorter and we usually introduce very wide velocity swings due to incomplete combustion, not to mention the sheet of flame about as big as a Volkswagon. I had a 16" AR-10 and it was seriously unpleasant to shoot due to muzzle flash and blast/concussion.

If you actually want to BE effective at longer distances, the longer barrel, with it's additional mass lending stability and enough length to more completely burn the powder charge, will be desirable if not necessary.

The US Army considers 800 meters to be max effective range for a .308, and that's from a bolt action sniper rifle with a 24" barrel. The USMC stretch this to 1k yards and they are also using 24-26" bolt guns to set this expectation.

Just to stay straight, there is no .308 NATO, it's a .308 Winchester. If you wish to add "NATO" to the moniker, it's a 7.62x51 NATO.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Larue. OBR. Vs. REPR? Which one?

Haven't shot the Larue but I have shot the REPR and I like the DPMS SASS more. For AR10's I have POF, M&P, Bushmaster and CMMG. For me it is a tie between the M&P and SASS. I think the SASS would shoot better, though I haven't tried anything beyond 100yd yet, but I love the ambi controls on the M&P.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Have you considered upping your caliber and maybe consider an AR30A1 in 300 WM or 338 Lapua?

The Army has been looking at these calibers in their attempt to reclaim the "Infantry Klick" or being able to extend the perimeter kill zone back out to +1000yds with unit individual direct fire.

Sure both rounds are more expensive than .308/7.62 but they'll punch nice size holes in a car body or engine block and then give you a sub-MOA of a man's head or chest at 1000.

You could also take this rifle from tactical to practical, could be a nice F-Class Rifle. Good Rifle, Right Ammo and with some of Ed's guidance and instruction then you could be having loads of fun while honing you abilities to better employ the rifle if needed for a tactical application.

Last edited:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    You might also want to rethink that match trigger if you want a field rifle for SHTF, both for reliability .

curious if you or anyone else has seen any reliability issues with any of the geissele 2 stage triggers? and what the issue(s) was? thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom