VOTER ALERT: VOTING MACHINE ERRORS ARE BEING REPORTED!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I don't believe that. Why is it that votes always get switched to Democrat? This is not a "calibration" issue as some are claiming. Fraud, plain and simple. If the votes were being switched to Republican, I bet the el ration commission would give a shot then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you ever used a poorly calibrated ATM? One that wouldn't register your touches right because of a terrible resistive touchscreen? Same sort of deal, except the state has no incentive to spend extra money to get voting machines that don't need in-depth calibration. You touch one place and the hardware tells the software you touched in another place. It's crazy but it happens. If anyone has ever miscalibrated an old pre-capacitive smartphone, like a Palm Pilot or a entry level touchscreen phone right when mobile internet came out you know exactly what I'm talking about. Now imagine that these voting machines are being built by the lowest bidder with crappy components, then calibrated by potentially braindead election judge zombies (if they're calibrated at all). I bet it's happening to Democrats as much as it's happening to Republicans, we're just upset because we have more reason to suspect a conspiracy and therefore when we have issues it makes the news.

Not necessarily. If you don't pick up on the change on the review screen and hit submit, then you voted for the wrong person and it is a valid vote.

Are all of the complaints about the vote being selected for the D at the time the screen is pressed or are there instances of the vote changing at the review screen?

If I was programming the machine and if I was trying to rig an election I wouldn't alter any votes until the time between when the user hits the final select button and when it goes into whatever database or however they store the vote. The last thing anyone would ever do is let the user know that the machine isn't working as they expect it to.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Have you ever used a poorly calibrated ATM? One that wouldn't register your touches right because of a terrible resistive touchscreen? Same sort of deal, except the state has no incentive to spend extra money to get voting machines that don't need in-depth calibration. You touch one place and the hardware tells the software you touched in another place. It's crazy but it happens. If anyone has ever miscalibrated an old pre-capacitive smartphone, like a Palm Pilot or a entry level touchscreen phone right when mobile internet came out you know exactly what I'm talking about. Now imagine that these voting machines are being built by the lowest bidder with crappy components, then calibrated by potentially braindead election judge zombies (if they're calibrated at all).

If I was programming the machine and if I was trying to rig an election I wouldn't alter any votes until the time between when the user hits the final select button and when it goes into whatever database or however they store the vote. The last thing anyone would ever do is let the user know that the machine isn't working as they expect it to.

I agree, but by allowing people the opportunity to see the review, this may get them off the hook legally. Your way would be completely illegal and underhanded, my way is only slightly illegal and underhanded. ha ha

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I agree, but by allowing people the opportunity to see the review, this may get them off the hook legally. Your way would be completely illegal and underhanded, my way is only slightly illegal and underhanded. ha ha

They're not going for legal loopholes. If they intentionally screw with an election like that and make it visible that they're doing it they lose their government contracts for sure at the very least, let alone the court battle, and what good is a company that makes voting machines for anyone but the government. They're just low quality early 2000's tier terrible devices, I'm surprised they don't have more issues.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The Hogan campaign says it now has 50 complaints of switching Republican votes to Democrat votes. Fox News (the only network covering this scandal) is reporting more of the same mostly in Illinois but also in Texas.

Let's just focus on Maryland. If these were calibration errors, or other hardware errors, you'd expect by random chance that the number of votes switched would be 50/50. After all, the hypothesis is that human intervention is not the cause, and in most races there are only two choices. Yet that's not what we see. There are no, zero, reports of D votes being switched to R votes, at least not that I've seen.

So what is the probability that 50 different voters on different machines would by random chance ONLY switch from R to D (assuming no other contributing factors)? Well that would be (1/2)^50 ~= 0.0000000000000008882, or rounding to one significant digit about 1 chance in ten thousand trillion that this is random, or conversely that it isn't vote theft.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    The Hogan campaign says it now has 50 complaints of switching R votes to D. Fox News (the only network covering this scandal) is reporting more of the same mostly in Illinois but also in Texas.

Let's just focus on Maryland. If these were calibration errors, or other hardware errors, you'd expect by random chance that the number of votes switched would be 50/50. After all, the hypothesis is that human intervention is not the cause, and in most races there are only two choices. Yet that's not what we see. There are no, zero, reports of D votes being switched to R votes, at least not that I've seen.

So what is the probability that 50 different voters on different machines would by random chance ONLY switch from R to D? Well that would be (1/2)^50 ~= 0.0000000000000008882, or rounding to one significant digit about 1 chance in ten thousand trillion that this is random, or conversely that it isn't vote theft.

R's are going to select R's, so there's basically a 100% chance that any hardware error due to miscalibration that happened to someone voting R would select the other candidate, a D. And R's are who would report it to Hogan, D's certainly wouldn't. And Hogan is obviously going to make a big deal about R's switching to D's, regardless of whether they think D's are switching to R's as well. I'm sure this is happening to D's as well. It's crazy old technology and there's such an easy hardware explanation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ine-switches-vote-obama-romney_n_2083015.html

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I never stated that calibration errors can't happen; that's obvious.

But what I am saying is that those mistakes should break both ways. The example you cited is from Obama's election. A random distribution in any cycle would be evidence of expected machine or human error. In this election, a perfect 50 R to D with no exceptions is strong evidence of something else entirely.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm sure this is happening to D's as well.

I'm sorry. I have to say ******** to that.
    If one single D vote switched to R Eric holder would have launched an investigation already and Al Sharpton would be inciting riots in Baltimore City.
    The bitching and moaning would be deafening.

Mr H

Banana'd
    If one single D vote switched to R Eric holder would have launched an investigation already and Al Sharpton would be inciting riots in Baltimore City.

!!!!!

Attachments

• winner.jpg
      winner.jpg
      11.6 KB · Views: 182

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012

I was going to write another big post, but I googled it first and this article says everything I was going to say better than I can.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-voting-machines-20141031-story.html

Cyra

Mrs. Glaron
    Feb 4, 2014
    Let's just focus on Maryland.
    Amen, we need to stay focused locally, support others as best we can but start in our own back yard for sure!

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    These systems were introduced to instill confidence in the integrity of the vote, to eliminate hanging chads, dimples, etc. on paper ballots.

Instead, they've both made matters worse AND undermined confidence in the integrity of the ballot.

They failed. Replace them with a system that provides every voter with a receipt, and an audit trail.

The US is becoming a frickin' third world country, not a beacon of democracy.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    We get finger printed for everything else, why not biometric scanning?

ETA: With a paper printout verification. This could be mailed to you after the election. Just spit-ballin'.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    FNC is now reporting that the Hogan team has received at least 50 complaints.

The state says the issues are "difficult to replicate"

I was going to write another big post, but I googled it first and this article says everything I was going to say better than I can.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-voting-machines-20141031-story.html

So it depends upon where in the protocol stack the attack is made, and the nature of the attack itself. Ideally (for the attacker) the underlying operating system or the core Diebold integrated software functionality can be knocked over. If so, then you can have completely hidden access such as was demonstrated here:

If however for whatever reason you can't pull that off (e.g. lack of knowledge, lack of the right type of access, etc.) all hope is not lost. Diebold (or any electronic voting machine) has to allow local election officials to define the ballot. That means placing in names, party affiliation, questions and constitutional amendments, format of each page, multiple pages, layout/font/areas of issues to be decided on each screen, etc. If an official with pre-election access to the machine can gain access to that API (application program interface for the non-geek readers (no slam on you rem)) he or she can change the area assigned to each selection.

Mr. H described this as the
    D
    R
    problem.

Granted, this isn't as good as option #1 above, since the vote switch is visible, but when people aren't paying attention, it might siphon off a percent or two of votes before the discrepancy is noticed. You don't even have to do it on every machine; indeed that probably would get discovered pretty darned quickly. Just do it on a subset of the machines. When caught, blame it on calibration errors. But, in a tight race when every vote counts, that percent or two might mean the margin of victory.

Sirex