• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    ok I am day dreaming a little bit here while doing some research for my 9mm AR project.
    I have seen RDIAS for sale from 10k-15k, as I understand it you can put a RDIAS in any gun and still be legal? is this correct(after going through NFA paperwork ect). Also it seems that the value has been pretty steady/even over the past few years so I would think you would not lose money IF you ever had to resell, could be a safer investment then a lot of stocks right now:innocent0

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    For that price, buy a registered M16A1, no need to supply an upper/lower, etc.

They run 10K as well.

IMHO the RDIAS is better than a M16A1 because a steel sear is less likely to wear out than than an aluminum lower. As a side benefit, you can install the sear in more or less any (low shelf) AR.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    ok I am day dreaming a little bit here while doing some research for my 9mm AR project.
    I have seen RDIAS for sale from 10k-15k, as I understand it you can put a RDIAS in any gun and still be legal? is this correct(after going through NFA paperwork ect). Also it seems that the value has been pretty steady/even over the past few years so I would think you would not lose money IF you ever had to resell, could be a safer investment then a lot of stocks right now:innocent0

The "machine gun" is the RDIAS. So yes you could put this in any lower of an ar15 that has a low shelf. One of the benefits of the Steel RDIAS is that if there is a catastrophic disaster and say the lower cracks or blows up the RDIAS would theoretically be okay. Now a minor draw back is that most lowers do not have a low shelf and that you will have to do some milling for it to fit, as well as add shims to the lower so you can properly time the sear.

Register receivers are generally more expensive because they have a more collective value to them (ie M16A2 marked Colts). They do not require any timing but the receiver is the machine gun and if it cracks or blows up...You might be out $18K if you can't find a person who can fix it.

Either way you can't go wrong with both. I would much rather prefer the RR because of the Markings and the value.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    RDIAS can be problematic at times. They can be a real pain to tune sometimes. It should also be noted that they can break. If a receiver were to break(which I have never witnessed) it's a reasonably sized piece of aluminum, and the right person could certainly repair it in nearly any conceivable situation. A sear on the other hand is much smaller, and would be harder to repair with out defacing the all important serial number. I have seen a sear break, and had it been a RDIAS it would have been a major loss.

Check out what M-60Joe ( www.m60joe.com ) can do for sick and broken DIAS's.

ANYTHING, and I really do mean ANYTHING, can be repaired.

If you want an investment-grade firearm that you will shoot very little, get a Colt M16-A1 or A2. Then don't shoot it.

If you want a "shooter" grade firearm that you can blast away with and have fun, then skip all the other Registered Receivers out there and go straight for the RDIAS.

Don't worry about timing issues - odds are you won't have any. I've known 4 people who've owned registered sears over the last 15 years and none had any issues with timing. They were all practically plug n' play with with any MIL-SPEC dimension lower receiver (NOT Colt, due to Colt not being MIL-SPEC) and the proper FCG parts and M16 BCG.

As far as shimming goes, it's easy - just a small rectangle of metal (cut from soda or soup can, usually) in front of or behind the notch in the sear body where it sits in the upper lug. If the upper lug is TOO tight, just clearance it a little at a time until the sear fits.

The versatility of being able to move it from rifle to rifle without concern over damaging a receiver is a HUGE-by-LARGE advantage over a RR gun. That's why sears cost more. But totally worth it if you wanna blast. The next toy I get will be a RDIAS. I figure I'm about 3 years and two trade-ups from getting there.

That's an option, too. They're usually several G's cheaper than sears or RR's, also.

Plus, a clever guy who's name escapes me now came up with a neat way to make the formerly full-auto-only LL a select fire by using a pair of modified disconnectors and a S/S/A selector.

But if paying $12+K for an RDIAS sounds nutty to most people, paying $8K+ for what is essentially a scrap of hacksaw blade doesn't sound much better.

Some folks just want a RR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom