• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Since the Feds went over my records last year for an update to my background investigation, randomly talking to neighbors and co-workers, and conducting a 45 minute interview with me, this looks like a piece of cake. It's just with no polygraph, but with Maryland state efficiency.

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    3-17-12 I received my application back in the mail today for not including Naturalization papers. The officer highlighted by country of birth "S. Korea" and attached a form letter.

I was born on the US Military base in Seoul which is technically US soil. My father was an officer for the US Department of State and born in Michigan, and my mother was born in Hawaii. I am a citizen by both jus sanguinis and jus soli. This is stupid and they should have called me before sending it back.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    3-17-12 I received my application back in the mail today for not including Naturalization papers. The officer highlighted by country of birth "S. Korea" and attached a form letter.

I was born on the US Military base in Seoul which is technically US soil. My father was an officer for the US Department of State and born in Michigan, and my mother was born in Hawaii. I am a citizen by both jus sanguinis and jus soli. This is stupid and they should have called me before sending it back.

did they cash the check or just return the whole thing?

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen

Pardon my stupid question, but if the military base you were born on is US soil, then you technically weren't born in South Korea, right?

Vjornaxx

Twelve
    Mar 8, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Pardon my stupid question, but if the military base you were born on is US soil, then you technically weren't born in South Korea, right?

Technically yes. But the base is in South Korea. It's never been an issue before and like I said earlier, a simple phone call would have made more sense.

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    Per 7 FAM 1100

Birth on U.S. Military Base Outside of the United States or Birth on
    U.S. Embassy or Consulate Premises Abroad:
    (1) Despite widespread popular belief, U.S. military installations abroad
    and U.S. diplomatic or consular facilities abroad are not part of
    the United States within the meaning of the 14th Amendment. A
    child born on the premises of such a facility is not born in the
    United States and does not acquire U.S. citizenship by reason of
    birth.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Per 7 FAM 1100

birth.

Yes and no. If that were true then John McCain would not have been eligible to run for Pres.

When your child is born abroad, you have a certificate of live birth issued by the hospital, then immediately you go to the embassy. 2 US citizens = insta citizenship for their child.

1 US and 1 foreign national get to have both (if they want to).

drblast33

[This Space for Sale ...]
    When your child is born abroad, you have a certificate of live birth issued by the hospital, then immediately you go to the embassy. 2 US citizens = insta citizenship for their child.

1 US and 1 foreign national get to have both (if they want to).

Agreed.

I just wanted to make the point that the law says just because of birth on a military doesnt make him a US citizenship (Jus Soli). But due to his parents being americans, he would be an American citizen (Jus Sanguinis).

I'm sure he knows what Im talking about.

Now one thing I find interesting:

Your record of birth abroad, if registered with a U.S. consulate or embassy, is proof of your citizenship. You may also apply for a passport to have your citizenship recognized. If you need additional proof of your citizenship, you may file an Application for Certificate of Citizenship Form N-600 with USCIS to get a Certificate of Citizenship.

I learn something every day.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Technically yes. But the base is in South Korea. It's never been an issue before and like I said earlier, a simple phone call would have made more sense.

Well, a phone call would not even been needed.
    Obviously someone at MSP needs training.
    On line #5 it asks where you are born.
    and then on line #8 it asks if you are a US citizen.
    So if you answered yes to number #8 it should not matter if you were born on Jupiter.
    Because the question only says "attach naturalization papers" which you do not have of course, because you are a natural born citizen.

Well good luck to you trying to explain the obvious to MSP.

CapoGreg

Extra mediocre
    Aug 10, 2009
    Aberdeen
    Per 7 FAM 1100

birth.

Excellent...thank you for the reply.

Samuel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 12, 2012
    Just realized I accidentally left the city/state of birth field blank. Meant to look at my birth certificate first but that slipped by during final proof checking. Damnit! Guess I'll be getting mine returned & have to resubmit.

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    So what is the official running total count so far? Wonder what the state total count is? Wonder what the news story will be when they find out that a huge amount of Marylanders have applied since the ruling?

Nov 13, 2011
    Bethesda, MD
    So what is the official running total count so far? Wonder what the state total count is? Wonder what the news story will be when they find out that a huge amount of Marylanders have applied since the ruling?

That's a good question. For the survey results here and on MSI most responses are "plan to" apply not "have".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom