• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think I know the answer to this but I can't remember reading anything on this. I realize that when filling out a Form 1, a line item does specify caliber. But, does that mean only one upper for each NFA lower? Or, can one have multiple uppers of the same caliber(and maybe even a non-NFA upper) to mate onto said NFA lower? I want to stay on the right side of the law.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    AFAIK from my reading as long as the SBR can be put back into it's original configuration, it's ok to put any other upper on it. The thing I am not sure about is using an upper that would make the OAL < 29", possibly making it a banned copycat.

One of our legal eagles can address that.

IANAL

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Any kind of upper that is equal in length or longer than the barrel length that is stated on the form 1 or 4. And whatever your budget allows.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Any kind of upper that is equal in length or longer than the barrel length that is stated on the form 1 or 4. And whatever your budget allows.

I've never read that it has to be longer than the configuration on the Form 1/4. Do you have a link by chance?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I've never read that it has to be longer than the configuration on the Form 1/4. Do you have a link by chance?

Trying to find the link..

But anyways, I called the BATFE about this issue years ago. They had indicated that as long as the upper swap is not permanent, its okay to swap them out. If its a permanent change, notify batfe in writing.

You can also call the NFA branch and get something in writing to cover you. As interpretations change with weather when it comes to BATFE.

However, in MD.. SB281 mandates a 29" oal on SBRs... So if you are making a new SBR post oct2013.. It must be longer than the barrel length that was approved by MSP.. 10.5 " or longer( 11.5, 12", 14.5" etc). Dont go shorter as it will violate SB281.( got to maintain that29" bs OAL)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Trying to find the link.

However, in MD.. SB281 mandates a 29" oal on SBRs... So if you are making a new SBR post oct2013.. It must be longer than the barrel length that was approved by MSP.. 10.5 " or longer( 11.5, 12", 14.5" etc). Dont go shorter as it will violate SB281.( got to maintain that29" bs OAL)

That makes sense. Thanks to all.:thumbsup:

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    Unlimited. For federal purposes, oal of the new configuration is irrelevant, you can go shorter. The form 1/4 is configuration at making/transfer. Permanent changes do not have to be sent to atf, but atf suggests you do so. State requires 29" oal. For now.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Trying to find the link..

Even if you purchased the lower as an O with no barrel, until the Engage litigation is resolved it's gotta be 29" or >

IANAL

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You must be capable of rendering it back into it's form1/4 described format. You may have unlimited additional uppers also. Federally they can be longer or shorter . If the SBR in question is Grandfathered under 29in , or otherwise not subject to FSA13 , you are limited only by your imagination and credit limit. FSA13 complient rifles must maintain 29in , ( I was about to say more, but don't want to stir an angel dancing discussion).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom