• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    Hello,
    I have a 20ga on order for starting skeet and trap shooting, just fun to begin with. Any reasons I should try to change the order to a 12ga? I appreciate any opinions. Thanks!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    12 ga. just throws more pellets out there so most people use it but a lot of people shoot .28 ga though they are usually very experienced shooters. Most people are going to tell you to get a 12 ga.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer 12 ga for versatility.

We shot a LOT of 1 ounce loads in our 12 ga guns. 1 ounce is the normal load for a 20 ga, so similar pattern density. But could should 1 1/8 ounce loads when we wanted.

scribe556

Apr 3, 2009
    shotgun on order

Is it a semi-auto gas shotgun or inertia? Over/under, Pump?

I think if if's versatility you're looking for, a nice 12 Ga. in semi-auto gas gun like the Winchester SX3, Remington 1100,
    or lower priced Weatherby SA-08 would be really nice and soft shooters. Check out Randy Wakeman's shotgun reviews
    and Shotgun World forums. If you don't like chasing/picking up your spent shells, get an O/U with an extractor (my
    preference) or an ejector.

I think another versatility factor to consider besides 12 vs 20 is the choke set. If you're going to shoot a variety of different
    clay games, get a full range of chokes for the various distances you'll break clays at. Some guns only come with 1-2 chokes.
    I'd get at least C, IC, M, IM, F. maybe more.

Myself, I like a 12 Ga. 28" O/U for some games and a semi-auto for others. I've got a Winchester SX2 in 12 Gauge that's my
    favorite all-around shotgun. Very soft shooter. I've got a SX3 coming in 20 Gauge for the lady to shoot (and myself of course)
    but it'll be something that's versatile and extremely soft shooting. I also have a 12 Gauge 28" CZ Canvasback for skeet and some
    other clay games. It's a great shooter for the money and comes with 5 chokes.

Shotguns can be like knives or golf clubs. Different purposes require different guns. get 2! :)

Best of luck

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    If you are only going to get one gun for clay games, I would choose a 12 over a 20. If for no other reason than the price, variety and availability of target shells.

If you haven's shot skeet or trap yet, I would hold off on buying anything until you have tried it a few times. Picking a shotgun for clay shooting is a process more than a pick one and hope for the best kind of thing.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Why are you considering 20g? Recoil?
    If you want real flexibility, get a O/U with tubes.
    Generally, 12g for trap. Skeet, anything goes. Sporting, 12g.

Ps, normal 20g load is 7/8oz.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    I'm a big fan of the 20 but 12 gauge would be the better choice for trap and sporting clays. 12 gauge ammo is more readily available, and in a wider variety. Unless you are worried about recoil or for some reason need a smaller lighter gun I'd suggest the 12 is going to check more boxes.

Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    Thank you all for the input. I was thinking a 20ga O/U to help with a disc issue in my neck.
    Since I don't want to lose my deposit, it may become as one suggested, getting both! :)
    I have two 12ga but both are pumps. I'll give this a try and see how I do.
    Again, thank you all.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Not sure what you have on order but the Beretta semi-autos are real soft shooters.
    Even softer, 20 gauge ammo shot through a 8 lb. 12 gauge O/U w/ 12>20 adapters (Sidekicks or Chambermates).

Jack5j

Nov 29, 2013
    Kent Island
    Not sure what you have on order but the Beretta semi-autos are real soft shooters.
    Even softer, 20 gauge ammo shot through a 8 lb. 12 gauge O/U w/ 12>20 adapters (Sidekicks or Chambermates).

It is just a Stoeger Condor Competition O/U in 20ga. I guess I jumped a little quick on a good price without thinking it through. I figured it was a good entry gun and if I like trap/skeet, I'll save up for a better 12ga.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Trap is traditionally shot with a 12 ga, but 20ga is legal.
    High Level US-style Skeet is shot as a 4-gun event: 12-ga, 20-ga, 28-ga, .410-bore

If 12ga recoil becomes too much there are always options: tuning handloads for low recoil (1oz, 7/8 oz and 3/4 oz loads with low <1200fps velocity). Since you mentioned O/U, gauge reduction tubes become an option at least for skeet (double check ATA rules for trap legality, but the rule I'm remembering may have had more to do with loading a 20ga and 12ga for trap doubles).

I will say the following regarding O/Us: you can get pretty good pumps and semi-autos <$1000, but it usually takes at least $1500 to get a decent O/U just with all of the hand fitting and regulation.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you get a 12ga O/U, you can shoot 20ga loads (7/8oz). The 12ga gun will be heavier, so less felt recoil. In general, 12ga ammo is much easier to find and less money than 20ga. 12ga also gives you the full spectrum of loads, way beyond 20ga, allowing broad use beyond clays. 12ga will have a better resale value and 10x the audience.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I prefer 12 ga for versatility.

We shot a LOT of 1 ounce loads in our 12 ga guns. 1 ounce is the normal load for a 20 ga, so similar pattern density. But could should 1 1/8 ounce loads when we wanted.

Yeah, they have similar pattern density when shot against a stationary target. However, you and I know that the shot string out of a 12 gauge versus the shot string out of a 20 gauge, both shooting 1 oz. of shot, is going to be different.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I prefer 20. Last time shooting clays with my 20ga 870 the thing was like a laser, it almost seemed to hit the clays all by itself. It has awesome balance as well. They are generally much smoother shooting guns than the equivalent in 12

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    OP - have a great time with the 20 gauge. If you have a disc issue, best to start out with less recoil and see how it goes. Of course, there are things like mercury recoil reducers, etc. out there to reduce felt recoil.

The 20 gauge will be fine. Not my first choice, but when I had to make my choice I was 22, maybe 23, years old without any back issues whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom