• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I'm in Harford county. I recently bought a 10/22 for my son....and for me. It's very nice and at a great price too. Looking it over it had a few nicks in the crown. Question is should I spend the money to have a gunsmith re crown it? Or just get a different barrel? Not sure how much recrowning is and a new barrel is ball park $200. It will be for my son eventually when he learns his bolt action well enough to move up to the semi. It has never been shot. I may be over thinking it and wait to see how it does shoot before I go throwing money away on something I may not need. It's a 10/22 stainless with synthetic stock. Also, does the bolt hold open normally on this model? Never owned one before and this one with the mag in does not. Thanks for the help

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If it's a nick in the top of the crown don't worry about it.

If it's a nick in the actual bore then worry about it.

Cleaning up the crown is definitely less than 200 bucks.

Try shooting it first and see how it performs accuracy wise.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If it's a standard 10/22 barrel, you can find them for $20-$40. But if you're looking for an excuse to build this 10/22 into something a little nicer. There are many parts that you can spend money on. A decent stock capable of using a bull barrel and a bull barrel, would be the first 2 choices I would make.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    If it's a standard 10/22 barrel, you can find them for $20-$40. But if you're looking for an excuse to build this 10/22 into something a little nicer. There are many parts that you can spend money on. A decent stock capable of using a bull barrel and a bull barrel, would be the first 2 choices I would make.

It's kind of a heavier barrel than I thought but I dont know if i would call it a heavy barrel. It's definatley a factory stainless barrel. I'm thinking of upgrading the rifle eventually for my son. So he can have a really nice target rife but I've never owned a 10/22 so I'm not completely sure what I should do. I'll shoot it first and see how it's going to print. My son is young. So the stock will have to go or be modified so he can shoulder it right if I'm going the customized route. I may just keep it stock. I really like it. Surprised I haven't owned a 10/22 before.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    There are a million Youtube videos about how to upgrade a 10/22. You will find the information you desire there grasshopper...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Shoot first, then worry if appropriate. If it groups well it doesn't matter what it looks like. Its amazing how many bent propellors have won boat races.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I'll look at you tube. Definatley going to shoot it first then go from there. What about the bolt hold open? Does it normally not after the last round or with and empty mag in?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Post a quick picture of the barrel. We will be able to help you if we are able to see what you are talking about.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    There is really no hurry to do anything but shoot it. If you son is young, then his need for target accuracy isn't happening anytime soon. Kids are inherently careless so he doesn't need the gun you want.

There are going to be new and used parts for the 10/22 for the rest of your lifetime and probably his as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom