• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    My fixed collection is about where I want it to be, but could use some additional folders as I use them a lot more... Right now I have a Lion Steel and a Kershaw, but was thinking about adding a Emerson as I really like some of their designs. Just wondering if y'all had any opinions on them?

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Good stuff. Earnest Emerson used to build some kick ass custom knives. He sold several designs to Benchmade, but now has someone mass produce his designs. The CQC 7 is one of my favorites even though its over 20 years old.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I have a cousin that is an army ranger. Big into knives. He swears by Emerson and will only carry them. I have no personal experience with them other then seeing his.... But a lot of people love them.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Probably my most disappointing pricey folder, own and have handled a few. Bought a CQC-15 a few years ago, looks cool, wave is awesome, grip is secure and ergonomic, but look deeper, spend some time with it, and compare it to ZT , Benchmade, or spydercos, and at least newer production Emersons come up short. Fit and finish aren't great, it's a simple knife, basically flat sheets of G10, Ti and steel, but seems they are just screwed together from bins full of interchangeable parts, liners, scales, and spacers don't line up end to end all that well. The big thumb disk on mine gets in the way of cutting, and a little of the tang is proud of the end of the handle when closed, although they are minor complaints compared to others. The pivot uses cheap plastic washers, and has to be much tighter than PB bushings or bearings in order to eliminate play, much slower action and more friction than the competition. It's a liner lock, not as secure as frame, axis, triad, or most other lock designs, dirt can jam it open , and most are timed way early.

My CQC15 had less than 1/2 of the thickness of the liner engaging the blade when I got it, have seen others range from barely locking the blade to a decent barely full engagement, the Ti on steel sticks if opened hard, and wears fast. The grind is really low, less than 1/2 the width of the blade leaving a steep angle, makes the edge thick, hurts it's slicing ability, and shortens it's life dramatically without gaining useable strength. It doesn't take much sharpening before the edge gets to be really thick with a wide sharpened bevel, some don't like the chisel grind and sharpening, but it actually helps lower the edge angles, and I prefer it. The steel is 154CM, which would be OK, it tends to be tough, easy to sharpen, and hold an edge OK, but it seems to be heat treated soft, sharpens easy, but dulls much faster than the same steel in other knives, and much faster than the popular S30V in the competition.

ZT and Benchmade also offer blade replacement for around $25, EKC offered me the low low price of $100+ shipping to replace the blade on my CQC-15 that has gotten a really thick edge from repairing and sharpening the edge over a couple years. Skip the black coating, it is just ceramic paint, scratches and wears relatively easy, the stonewashed finish holds up better. I have been far happier with other knives in the same price range, find some place to handle an Emerson, then handle Benchmades, ZT's or Spydercos, and see what actually works better for you. If you are still looking for an Emerson to add an example to your collection, then the Karambit or CQC-7 are kinda cool despite their shortcomings. You can also try the far less expensive Kershaw made models, or the ZT made Emersons that have FAR better steel, grinds, framelocks and quality IMO.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    They lose me with the black paint coat on the blades. At least the one that I had. Of all the knives I have had, an Emerson was the one I cared about least.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Does anyone besides Emerson make a hard-use folder for lefties? I was looking at a HEST 2.0 lefty, but they were more rare than Kel-Tec guns. I had one on "pre-order" for more than a year and Knife Center finally just canceled my order.

I know they made at least two; there are pictures of them.

RPDPHSF005d.jpg

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Does anyone besides Emerson make a hard-use folder for lefties? I was looking at a HEST 2.0 lefty, but they were more rare than Kel-Tec guns. I had one on "pre-order" for more than a year and Knife Center finally just canceled my order.

http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/dpx-gear/images/RPDPHSF005d.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I've seen a couple from Strider and Chris Reeve, although Southpawknives seem to be highly reguarded semi-customs, of course plenty of axis lock benchmades to choose from too.

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/c0.162.851.315/p851x315/10562696_529829173784990_896688850323105006_o.jpg

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Emerson folders set the standard of quality that all other folders should be judged upon.

:lol: LOL no way man. Emerson knives are great and all, but one thing they are not known for is exceptional quality.

Don't blow me off as a hater, there's a CQC-7 in my pocket right now. Emerson knives have some great features, like the flat head pivot screw and wave opener. They're also built to withstand hard labor that would damage lesser knives.
    BUT there are also some things Emerson doesn't do well. Number one on that list is the chisel grind. A chisel grind can be useful, but they put the edge on the wrong side. Look at how every other high-end knife maker does a chisel grind if you don't believe me.
    Another common complaint is poor fit and finish. I've never personally experienced a bad Emerson (in fact, mine are perfect), but youtube and the knife forums are full of complaints. If you can, examine the actual knife before you buy.
    The last negative thing I'll point out about Emerson knives is the crazy hype around them. They absolutely do not deserve the hype. They aren't bad knives, but there are many that are better.

If you only own one or two knives, skip the Emerson and buy a Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, or Spyderco. If you already own several knives, an waved Emerson would be a great addition to the collection.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

RPDPHSF005d.jpg

There's at least three because I have one just like that. I was in love with it initially, but after a few months of EDC the lock on the blade became loose. It's probably fine, but I'm a bit disappointed. D2 blade was excellent and I loved having the bottle opener.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I have several Emersons and like them, but know that their blades are chisel ground which makes them difficult to sharpen. The CQC-7 with the tanto blade is the worst

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    The best Emerson's are made by Benchmade! :D I've put my Benchmade CQC-7 through hell, it's a tough knife.. :thumbsup:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    :lol: LOL no way man. Emerson knives are great and all, but one thing they are not known for is exceptional quality.

Don't blow me off as a hater, there's a CQC-7 in my pocket right now. Emerson knives have some great features, like the flat head pivot screw and wave opener. They're also built to withstand hard labor that would damage lesser knives.
    BUT there are also some things Emerson doesn't do well. Number one on that list is the chisel grind. A chisel grind can be useful, but they put the edge on the wrong side. Look at how every other high-end knife maker does a chisel grind if you don't believe me.
    Another common complaint is poor fit and finish. I've never personally experienced a bad Emerson (in fact, mine are perfect), but youtube and the knife forums are full of complaints. If you can, examine the actual knife before you buy.
    The last negative thing I'll point out about Emerson knives is the crazy hype around them. They absolutely do not deserve the hype. They aren't bad knives, but there are many that are better.

If you only own one or two knives, skip the Emerson and buy a Zero Tolerance, Benchmade, or Spyderco. If you already own several knives, an waved Emerson would be a great addition to the collection.

:thumbsup:

My CQC-15 was a disappointment as posted earlier, but Ernie's ZT made blades are lightyears better for the same or slightly more cost. If they were my first impression of his work, might not have been turned off to Emersons.

For example
    compare the super CQC-7's low chisel grind, thin Ti liner lock, plastic pivot bushings, 3.75" soft 154CM, single position clip, plain G10 scales and plain squared handle for $230
    cqc7.jpg
    vs
    ZT620CF's high V-grind, thick Ti framelock with hardened insert, PB bushings/oversized pivot, 3.6" M390 supersteel, Milled Carbon fiber, reversible clip, and a curvy secure handle for $10 more than the super7. There is also the non-CF 620 for $50 less with less expensive Elmax steel(still punks 154CM by a mile) and milled G10 scale.
    zt620cf.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom