• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    I really hope I don't get laughed off this forum because this may quite possibly be one of the dumbest things I've done but as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
    At the range the other day I was shooting Tula steel case .223 in +90 degree weather through a fairly new Wylde barrel. I got off one round sighting it in and the casing got stuck in the chamber(where it meets the barrel). Don't ask why but I had a pair of chopsticks in my bag and since I didn't have a cleaning rod I decided to use those to clear the barrel...the wood was too soft and is now stuck. I went to the hardware store and bought a brass rod and manged to get that (along with the chopsticks) stuck as well.
    Is there anyway to remove the casing from the chamber side? If I can clear that I think I can get the rest of the obstruction out as well. Hope I didn't royally screw myself.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you have a collapsible stock, go ahead and set it in it's shortest locked position, with your left hand grasping the handguard and right hand grabbing the charging handle (muzzle towards the sky/roof), raise it and hit the butt of the stock on a hard surface - when it makes contact, also pull back on the charging handle. This is known as Mortaring a rifle.

If it goes well, it'll eject the casing. Worst case, you rip the rim off the casing, but you free up the bolt carrier group.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Where are you located? If you can't get it cleared, someone may be in your area and willing to assist so you don't do any potential damage trying to clear it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Spray some WD40 in the chamber and let it sit overnight so it can break the carbon bond between the casing and the chamber.

Then do as others instructed.

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try the WD-40. I had actually already broken down the gun at the range removing the BCG and charging handle to ensure that nothing could possibly accidentally go bang but I'm certain there's no projectile just the stuck casing. Thanks guys! I'll post up and let you know how it goes.
    By the way is there anything I should definitely avoid like using a flat head screwdriver to pry it out?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hold on, you already had the BCG out and the casing remained?

If so, then Mortaring isn't going to help you since the rim where the extractor grabs was likely ripped off already.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd avoid trying to pry it out just yet, the anodizing on the upper is what's protecting the softer aluminum underneath it - so I wouldn't advise doing anything that may damage the anodizing.

Try to clear the bore of obstructions first, get the brass and wood out of there. Then try to rod out the stuck casing with the brass rod, I've even used the antenna of my truck to rod out a stuck casing in a pinch.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Before you go prying or banging, heat up the barrel with a hair dryer...expand the chamber as much as possible and then try removing the casing.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I really hope I don't get laughed off this forum because this may quite possibly be one of the dumbest things I've done but as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
    At the range the other day I was shooting Tula steel case .223 in +90 degree weather through a fairly new Wylde barrel. I got off one round sighting it in and the casing got stuck in the chamber(where it meets the barrel). Don't ask why but I had a pair of chopsticks in my bag and since I didn't have a cleaning rod I decided to use those to clear the barrel...the wood was too soft and is now stuck. I went to the hardware store and bought a brass rod and manged to get that (along with the chopsticks) stuck as well.
    Is there anyway to remove the casing from the chamber side? If I can clear that I think I can get the rest of the obstruction out as well. Hope I didn't royally screw myself.

hopefully the brass rod isnt all inside the barrel. Otherwise you may have to pay a visit to the gunsmith.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Otherwise you may have to pay a visit to the gunsmith.

That isn't the worst thing in the world, compared to getting more stuff stuck in there. As far as we can tell from the other side of the computer, you haven't caused any permanent damage.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That isn't the worst thing in the world, compared to getting more stuff stuck in there. As far as we can tell from the other side of the computer, you haven't caused any permanent damage.

Broken off bore snakes can be a real bugger.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Hold on, you already had the BCG out and the casing remained?

If so, then Mortaring isn't going to help you since the rim where the extractor grabs was likely ripped off already.

It's also possible that the extractor is broken.

This is a recurring problem, getting things stuck in holes that don't belong there. Back in the day I knew this girl that repeatedly got things stuck in her, um, err, ...............oh, nevermind.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

This is a recurring problem, getting things stuck in holes that don't belong there. Back in the day I knew this girl that repeatedly got things stuck in her, um, err, ...............oh, nevermind.

Black Bart? Is that you? What have you done with Lou45?:lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

She must've had a daughter named Tammy... :innocent0

Dippah

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I ended up removing the barrel, drilled and tapped the casing and was able to pop it out then cleared the obstructions with an actual brass cleaning rod thanks to a friend. She's a happy camper now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom