• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I got an email from AIM today. K31 rifles for $299 along with others. I can't send a link because it was embedded in the email.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

BinaryBoris

On YouTube: "NotAGunGuy"
    Jan 6, 2015
    That's a tough one and you'll get a lot of different responses.

Personally I would suggest a K31 for your first Swiss rifle. It is arguably the best engineered of the rifle line (not to say prior models were not well made). A lot of this has to do with the beefed-up action, where the bolt's locking lugs were moved up front. From my understanding, the K31 was the pinnacle of the original Schmidt-Rubin straight pull design and incorporated several changes that the Swiss government requested.

Cosmetically, you are probably more likely to get a better "looker" from the K31 (especially with AIM's current batch) due to them being the most recent. A Walnut Stock is going to be 1933 to 1943 (?) whereas a Birch Stock is going to be 1944 (?) to 1958. There are also a few "Private Series" models out there (denoted by a serial number beginning with P) and these were produced through the 1960s, being sent directly to private Swiss citizens.

Some shooters find the K31 to be the most accurate of the rifles, while others prefer the 1911 (although a lot of this could be due to the longer sight radius).

The K31 and K11 tend to be more maneuverable and possibly easier to shoot off-hand due to their shorter overall length.

Finally, the K31 is the only rifle in the line that has that sexy Swiss Crest engraved on the top of the receiver. It just seems to give it that ultimate Swiss seal of approval in my mind.

One other note … production numbers were approximately:

M96/11: 135,000
    M1911: 127,000
    K11: 185,000
    K31: 528,000

If you are interested in snatching up a rifle that is more likely to be harder to get, go with the older models. However, the K31 also seems to be the more popular of these rifles, so that could even out the playing field as far as scarcity goes.

Hope this helps and if I made any errors, I ask the Interwebs to please feel free to correct me.

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    I got this also, and I would like to round out my collection with a 1911 Rifle. That said, they are not showing the import mark or the area where the ugly billboard was previously. The note on the K31 having a discreet import mark is not on the description either. Wish I could call and ask, but they dropped these after closing on Friday.

Personally, I would love a good quality 1911 rifle, but I would not be pleased if I paid $350 plus and the rear of the receiver has a huge import mark.

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    I hear you. I thought about just waiting until Monday, but I believe they only have about 100 and I figure it was more likely to get one of the better condition ones by getting in line as fast as possible (and adding the hand select of course).

I figured I'd roll the dice on the hope that the import mark will be located the same place as it is on their current batch of K31's (on the left-hand side of the rear sight base).

If the import stamp is in an ugly spot, this could just end up being something to release back into the wild down the line.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I believe they will be sold out by Monday. But I do understand your issue.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    Just checked the import stamp location on my 96/11 from Widener's and it's a PW Arms stamp on the left-hand side of the receiver. There isn't any room on the rear sight base (that I can see) on the 1911 or the K11, so I'm guessing that stamp will be on the receiver.

If it is, I can always hope and pray it isn't super deep through the bluing.

I also think they will be OOS on Monday, so it's worth the gamble I guess.

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    Then again, might get lucky and get one with the tiny-under-the-barrel import mark like this guy got on his CAI imported K11 from AIM in December, 2013.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?339914-K11-from-AIM-Pictures-inside

One reason for optimism:

The 96/11 I have from Widener's is PW Arms stamped on the receiver …

The K31 I just received from AIM is CAI stamped on the rear sight base,
    the K11 in the above-referenced link is CAI stamped under the barrel.

If all of AIM's current stock are CAI stamped, I'm inclined to believe the stamp will be under the barrel.

But at least I'll know one way or another soon!

----

EDIT … then I saw this from some of AIM's batch in 4/14. God help me if that's where the mark is …
    https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f09984...6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product/f3k31wx5.jpg

Plan B may be to call AIM early Monday morning to see where the mark is and possibly cancel if it is offensive.

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Not a huge fan of how they don't list an actual condition for any of these rifles using the grading scale.

I know a lot of you really like AIM, but I find this a bit sleazy.

"extremely fine" is their description on the K31's.

I emailed them to elaborate using the grading scale and they told me "Very Good"

So, why don't they just say "very good".

"Extremely fine" is really misleading, IMO.

Then on the 1911's we have "these are very clean rifles"

On the 1911 Carbines "best of our shipment....clean guns"

Why not just use the grading scale so people know what they are buying?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I just got a K-31 delivered today from AIM. It has a walnut stock, was made in early 1942, and is overall in rather good condition for a military rifle of that age. My only disappointment is that mine didn't have a troop tag, and I'm really interested in the history aspect of all my firearms. I was looking forward to that.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    So if someone who knows jack squat about swiss rifles could only afford one. Which one should they get?

I'd suggest the Swiss Miss (K31) as like the Swiss Miss, she's only been felt up in the back seat occasionally, been fingered to a lesser degree, and hardly (if ever) been deflowered. The older models, they've been around the block at least a few times, perhaps alot more than a few.

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    Hmmm… I'm considering contacting AIM to cancel my order for the K11 and 1911, given the fact that a big import mark could be on the side of the receiver. That would pretty much mar the otherwise sublime lines on that portion of the rifle.

I looked through Simpson's site and it seems like they have a pretty good stock and you see what you are buying. Maybe that would be the safer route … and would run about the same price.

I also do agree that AIM could be a bit more, well, precise with their condition descriptions. I've ordered quite a few firearms from them and their otherwise unconventional descriptions have seemed to be accurate (the K31 I just received from them is in very good/excellent condition). But an NRA description would help I agree.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'd suggest the Swiss Miss (K31) as like the Swiss Miss, she's only been felt up in the back seat occasionally, been fingered to a lesser degree, and hardly (if ever) been deflowered.

Lovely ... I've just gotten a name for my "new" K-31. It's great when a poetic heart is put into a dirty old man.

Let me add that the import mark on mine is in small, darkened, letters on the side of the rear sight, so it's not too bad. What's a bit worse (but I can live with it), is that they had to put an importer's serial number on the side of the freakin' receiver. That's also pretty small and unobtrusive, but too bad they couldn't have just gone with the original, all matching, number that was already on it.

BinaryBoris

Jan 6, 2015
    I'm really tempted to order one of these and a Model 1911. What's the import mark like?

Here's the import mark on the K31 … but I have no idea where the K11 and 1911's are being placed:

IMAG3998.jpg

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Well.... I tried to resist (actually, I have been resisting ordering one from SOG or Simpsons Ltd. for a while) but I couldn't.

Ordered a 1911 Carbine w/ hand select and a sling/muzzle cap. Cuz if you're gonna spend 300, why not spend 335. right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom