• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    At what distance is a scope level needed for different calibers? This is something that I have been curious about for a while.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    When I was a 20-something Marine, I could get 9 or 10 out of 10 in the black at 500m every year with the M16 and iron sights. When my Dad was in Army basic in '51, they had to shoot 1000 yard with M1s and iron sights.

I've got my Garand now, so this year I intend to get out someplace with longer-range firing lines and see how far I can reach out and touch something. Can I still do 500 yards? Can I hit farther out? I really want to find out!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I'd suggest that for precision work, you should have a level for anything beyond about 100 yards. For generously sized targets, such as game animals, you can usually go to 200-300 before error becomes apparent.

The actual error induced is a product of the sight height, angle from true vertical and distance/drop. Distance and drop are inseparable, as they represent the same component in this function.

Flatter shooting stuff has a greater degree of forgiveness than do cartridges with a lot of drop. The greater the drop, the larger an arc we prescribe over whatever angle we lean. Sight height has the same effect of increasing the radius of the error and thus the arc length.

Iron sights are usually so close to the bore, they're much easier to manage in terms of rifle cant - the error is both of less magnitude and is also less likely to occur with the wide open view than when peering through a small tubular opening.

We, as human organisms, position ourselves relative to the outside world using several senses for references and corrections. Normally, our inner ear (Vestibular system) provides us a level reference, and we then use our eyes (interpupilary relationship) to judge "level" from there.

When we lean our heads over the stock to properly mount the cheek piece, we defeat our inner ear's ability to keep our head straight, but our eyes still want to be our reference tool and now your brain thinks the whole world should roll over with your presumably level head. Having only one eye open and looking through a small field of view exacerbates this problem.

A right handed shooter will usually lean right, while a left handed shooter will lean left. In the absence of reference points (vertical target frames, etc.) most people develop a LOT more error than they believe possible. At 1k and beyond, I've seen bullets go 4-5 feet over and down simply from leaning the rifle.

I'm subject to the same error and ALL of my serious rifles have a level. I keep a couple extra in my tool box to loan out for classes in case the student doesn't have one of his own.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Ed, can you post a link to a level that you recomend?
    None have resolution any better than a carpenter's level, all are better than nothing.

I like the US Optics fixed version like this and it really doesn't stick out past the parallax adjustment on the bigger tactical/target scopes: http://www.usoptics.com/uso-gear/accessories/ext-cant-indicator/rail-mounted-fixed-acd.html

Some folks with more compact scopes prefer the folding model: http://www.usoptics.com/uso-gear/accessories/ext-cant-indicator/rail-mounted-swivel-acd.html

The AccuLevel is a good one too, it can be used folded or extended:http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...level-articulating-scope-level-prod42396.aspx

The Vortex is a decent level as well:http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...nti-cant-devices/bubble-levels-prod58649.aspx

Don't get too caught up in how much better one is than the other, it's more about styling than accuracy. No matter how well crafted any of these seem, they're all using bubble elements that are about the same resolution as a carpenter's level and NONE approach the precision of a machinist's level. They all work well enough for shooting.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    None have resolution any better than a carpenter's level, all are better than nothing.

I like the US Optics fixed version like this and it really doesn't stick out past the parallax adjustment on the bigger tactical/target scopes: http://www.usoptics.com/uso-gear/accessories/ext-cant-indicator/rail-mounted-fixed-acd.html

Some folks with more compact scopes prefer the folding model: http://www.usoptics.com/uso-gear/accessories/ext-cant-indicator/rail-mounted-swivel-acd.html

The AccuLevel is a good one too, it can be used folded or extended:http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...level-articulating-scope-level-prod42396.aspx

The Vortex is a decent level as well:http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...nti-cant-devices/bubble-levels-prod58649.aspx

Don't get too caught up in how much better one is than the other, it's more about styling than accuracy. No matter how well crafted any of these seem, they're all using bubble elements that are about the same resolution as a carpenter's level and NONE approach the precision of a machinist's level. They all work well enough for shooting.

Awesome, thanks :thumbsup:

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    When I was a 20-something Marine, I could get 9 or 10 out of 10 in the black at 500m every year with the M16 and iron sights. When my Dad was in Army basic in '51, they had to shoot 1000 yard with M1s and iron sights.

I've got my Garand now, so this year I intend to get out someplace with longer-range firing lines and see how far I can reach out and touch something. Can I still do 500 yards? Can I hit farther out? I really want to find out!
    I'm sure you can't wait to get out and shoot the garand. That will be a neat experience to know your dad did the same thing with the same rifle while in the service.
    I'd suggest that for precision work, you should have a level for anything beyond about 100 yards. For generously sized targets, such as game animals, you can usually go to 200-300 before error becomes apparent.

The actual error induced is a product of the sight height, angle from true vertical and distance/drop. Distance and drop are inseparable, as they represent the same component in this function.

Flatter shooting stuff has a greater degree of forgiveness than do cartridges with a lot of drop. The greater the drop, the larger an arc we prescribe over whatever angle we lean. Sight height has the same effect of increasing the radius of the error and thus the arc length.

Iron sights are usually so close to the bore, they're much easier to manage in terms of rifle cant - the error is both of less magnitude and is also less likely to occur with the wide open view than when peering through a small tubular opening.

We, as human organisms, position ourselves relative to the outside world using several senses for references and corrections. Normally, our inner ear (Vestibular system) provides us a level reference, and we then use our eyes (interpupilary relationship) to judge "level" from there.

When we lean our heads over the stock to properly mount the cheek piece, we defeat our inner ear's ability to keep our head straight, but our eyes still want to be our reference tool and now your brain thinks the whole world should roll over with your presumably level head. Having only one eye open and looking through a small field of view exacerbates this problem.

A right handed shooter will usually lean right, while a left handed shooter will lean left. In the absence of reference points (vertical target frames, etc.) most people develop a LOT more error than they believe possible. At 1k and beyond, I've seen bullets go 4-5 feet over and down simply from leaning the rifle.

I'm subject to the same error and ALL of my serious rifles have a level. I keep a couple extra in my tool box to loan out for classes in case the student doesn't have one of his own.
    Thanks for the very informative post. I appreciate the fact that you explained both the mechanical and physiological aspects of it.

4 to 5 feet seems huge from such a seemingly minor thing as a slight cant. At that range it makes sense though.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh

Thank you for the info and it does explain why I kept rechecking the level after I started using them on my bolt guns. I would get setup to shoot and check the level and it would be canted but I would have been sure the rifle was level. Can't wait to get to your place for a class. Hoping to get there this Spring.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    A few scopes have them inside the tube at the bottom of the field of view, US Optics is one, can't recall which others had it, but I've seen several out here.

If i remember correctly gen 2&3 Springfield Armory's scopes.. I have two from Night Force that mount on the picatinny..
    If you go back in history 140 years levels were available as a option on front globe sights for target and long range shooting...

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    If i remember correctly gen 2&3 Springfield Armory's scopes.. I have two from Night Force that mount on the picatinny..
    If you go back in history 140 years levels were available as a option on front globe sights for target and long range shooting...

Most of the dedicated target globe front sights still have levels.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    QUOTE=Bolts Rock;3637347]Most of the dedicated target globe front sights still have levels.[/QUOTE]

Yes/ No..... I shoot bpcr silhouette and long range using sights from MVA..... Its still a option with most sight manufacturers.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Yes/ No..... I shoot bpcr silhouette and long range using sights from MVA..... Its still a option with most sight manufacturers.

Not on most High Power sights for Match Rifles.[/QUOTE]

Sure it's a option, if your running a globe front shooting HP you will have a globe mounted in a iris as a optional iris..
    I'm old school HP, I don't believe I have seen a M1 or a M14-M1a on the line with a globe front sight... I am sure there might be a few out there.. But certainly not mainstream.
    I have seen AR's with Medesha front sight bases with a bubble, and a few others buy I really have not been looking for them either.
    I think you see more on bolt guns in HP than other rifles..
    I don't believe I have ever seen a set of Redfield Palma's or International sights that came with a bubble in the front globe either.

Tag you're it...:D

Coop

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    My 30mm Right Sight has a level built in. My Anschutz 18mm globes do not, however there are several add on levels that press on or thread in.

I bought my son a new Annie last year and I was surprised that Annie did not offer a bubble aperture for the front globe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom